What Have Been The Biggest Changes In Bikes Over The Last 20 Years?!?

smokey125

Only thing that hasn't changed is that it's far more the rider than the bike.Bikes are far lighter,better brakes and suspension,more powerful and run better,to the point that they're far better than most of us can do justice to.Trials was in better shape back then with more venues and riders and I think generally were harder

• Like 3

i rode Trials constantly as a kid , tl125 was new .. and stopped right as the ty80 came out . I wish that scenario was reversed as the Honda was just a tad to big for me , but I managed ...I didn't ride a trials bike  again until 2005 when I rediscovered the sport and got my 240 Fantc . Trials Tech milestones IMHO ....

1;Spanish bikes (enough said)

2;The fantic 240 motor  (changed the way we rode )

3; Disc  brakes !!

4;The Beta Zero and the TY Mono . (changed design forever !!!)

5; and since then , it's all been fine tuning the design .

Just my 2 pence ...

Glenn

But it still is 98.9% rider , not the bike ....:)

Edited by axulsuv
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments, got a lot more than I was expecting!

Summary of comments seems to be there was a big change around 2000, and either side of that its been continuous small improvements.

The comment I find most interesting is the improvements in brakes. Another very objective question do people feel this is due to the reduction in bike weights or are the 4 pot calipers a big improvement?

Advances in metallurgy and the ability to produce lighter,stronger and more complex pieces has had a lot to do with what we have now.The modern crankcase is far superior to the old stuff as are the alloy materials used in our modern bikes.Aluminum fork stanchions,nikasil lined cylinders,alloy bash plates etc etc.And without modern computers,none of this would be possible.

Love my Ossa tr280i,but i really like tinkering with my ty175 in all it's simplicity.

I know Jason Finn was still doing shows a few years ago, is he still doing them?

Anyone know why he gave up on trials?

Money I Guess, There is an interview on YouTube look for "Jason finn interview" jason said he retired from shows when he hit 40' he is 46 now so I'm guessing old age stopped him, the interview shows his house and old bikes, one of only a few who have ever made a lot of money through riding a Trials bike Edited by ironbelly