4Rt Bike Protection

bulto58

Hi 4rt owners,

I'm just about to pick up my new 4rt standard this week, my first brand new bike for years , and have been looking at various carbon/ ABS covers to protect it from new.

how do you guys rate these products, and what would you say are a must have !

Does whats on the market at the moment fit the 2016 model, will 2015 parts fit.

I was looking at the thicker bashplate from H&D, it must be stronger, but is it wider to protect the casings and waterpump.

Thanks.

The carbon bits are good, keeps everything looking new underneath. Before fitting them, cover the area in tape to stop the carbon vibrating and rubbing.

The H&D sump guard is top notch, really takes a beating as well as looks good.

• Like 1

Get a case saver first.

2015 will fit 2016. Most stuff fits all years.

For carbon stuff it depends on how much you want to spend or if you can make it but I think:

-airbox cover if you ride sandy areas

-under rear guard if you ride in a lot of wet

I run the standard bash plate and the carbon clutch side cover that came with the repsol and it's held up ok.

My bike has genuine carbon everything

Fork covers

Silencer cover

Air box cover

Swing arm covers

Tank cover

Exhaust header cover

Front fork brace

Clutch cover

Front sprocket guide

It looks mint & even after 8 years use it's like new underneath

Other good additions are

Plastic frame guards

Rear plastic under mudguard cover - to keep the air box clean

Case saver

HD bash plate

Decent pegs & hangers

In my experience, the carbon-look ABS bits are crap.  To be specific, they really don't fit my 2015 Repsol.  Using a rotary tool (Dremel), files and scissors designed to cut polycarbonate, it took me hours of work just to get the swing arm guards to 'kind of' fit.  I had to remove big sections else other bits wouldn't have gone back on correctly (for example, the chain guide).  The frame guards don't fit well but, unfortunately, no amount of cutting will improve that.  The air box cover does not fit, period.  I've spent an enormous amount of time with a heat gun and the previously-mentioned tools but I see no hope for that piece.  The fork guards don't match the forks.  The coil cover required modification for installation.  I've not yet tried the case covers or the water pump cover.  Based on my experience so far, I have little hope they will fit.  The more I work on this stuff, the more likely it seems everything will all end up in the bin.  These parts were rather expensive and I'm very disappointed.

I've worked with vacuum-formed items in the past so I expected a lot of trimming.  These parts require much more than that.

My parts supplier has been an absolute gem throughout this whole ordeal.  He has triple-checked part numbers, exchanged parts, patiently offered advice and studied photographs of my problems.  He's willing to accept the parts back for refund, but I doubt I'll do that.

Based on my experience, I would not recommend the carbon-look ABS guards.

• Like 1

In my experience, the carbon-look ABS bits are crap. To be specific, they really don't fit my 2015 Repsol. Using a rotary tool (Dremel), files and scissors designed to cut polycarbonate, it took me hours of work just to get the swing arm guards to 'kind of' fit. I had to remove big sections else other bits wouldn't have gone back on correctly (for example, the chain guide). The frame guards don't fit well but, unfortunately, no amount of cutting will improve that. The air box cover does not fit, period. I've spent an enormous amount of time with a heat gun and the previously-mentioned tools but I see no hope for that piece. The fork guards don't match the forks. The coil cover required modification for installation. I've not yet tried the case covers or the water pump cover. Based on my experience so far, I have little hope they will fit. The more I work on this stuff, the more likely it seems everything will all end up in the bin. These parts were rather expensive and I'm very disappointed.

I've worked with vacuum-formed items in the past so I expected a lot of trimming. These parts require much more than that.

My parts supplier has been an absolute gem throughout this whole ordeal. He has triple-checked part numbers, exchanged parts, patiently offered advice and studied photographs of my problems. He's willing to accept the parts back for refund, but I doubt I'll do that.

Based on my experience, I would not recommend the carbon-look ABS guards.

You should have gone the Mitani route as their stuff fits spot on, I have zero trouble with the tank cover & swing arm/air box/fork covers (2007 Repsol) - the rest is genuine Honda carbon on mine

The only abs plastic on mine are the frame guards & I agree with all you say - I had to trim at the lower hanger area & use extra zip ties - but they're sacrificial & mine are beat up

You pay your money & take your choice

• Like 1

I also have to agree with B_42Woody and JohnnyBoxer. 

The ABS coil cover I bought needed some work to make it fit and the ABS frame protector got damaged because it was to long and got caught on some rocks.

The original HRC and Mitani carbon parts fit with no problem.

That's why I stick to the real essential protectors as listed above.

Also, I want to lose weight on my bike not add. And traces of use like some scratches here and there, don't bother me so much.

That's why I stick to the real essential protectors as listed above.

Also, I want to lose weight on my bike not add. And traces of use like some scratches here and there, don't bother me so much.

Its a trials bike so damage protection is my priority over trying to keep it looking new for resale purposes.

essential

case saver for front sprocket

heavy duty bash plate

stick on case protectors as a better bash plate provides additional protection for cases and water pump.

If you are really prone to dropping the bike (very good or very bad rider) then carbon case covers may be the way forward

Fork covers -abs or carbon

• Like 1

Can somebody please link me to the under mudguard cover ?

Riding in Wales means a lot of water in the air box.

The 2014 through 2016 "race" versions (3E & 4E) come stock with that part.

The Honda P.N. is: 80106-NN4-G30, so you may be able to get one from a Honda dealer.

May also be able to find a used one that someone has removed from a newer model.

• Like 1