Section—Let's Get Talking Again

utahpete

Sorry to start a new thread, but I did come across a '95 section last summer, and the same good friend that found that for me, just delivered a trashed, but sound '96 as a parts bike. Here's a photo of my two dinosaurs in the shop.

post-19384-0-56679900-1462160497_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

could have been a good bike, but build quality was rubbish when new, was glad to get rid of of it after 9 months of problems.

Agree to a certain extent. From the numbers of repairs made to both frames of the bikes I have, it is obvious that the first two-years of production lacked any engineering on the frame. I'd like to hear from owners of the '97 (alloy frame) as to whether the frame problems were cured.

And the fit/looks and quality of the plastics left a lot to be desired. I do think that the engine/gearbox was quite well-built—albeit heavy as a sack of cement!  Never have seen anything in these forums about Gas Gas-like problems with gear box or start gear, etc.

I do really like the geometry of the bike. It's very easy to balance, and full-lock turning radius is impressive. And, of course the throttle response and power are quite impressive. One of my riding buddies just got a 2016 Scorpa 300 and I don't find it to be noticeably more powerful than the Section.

So, I think that those of us who love Fantics are like Alfa R owners ... maybe a bit dim-witted, but romantics to the end!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice practice session with my buddy Tod on his family's 360 acres bordering the national forest. It's a nice, diverse section of ground with a lot of challenging rocks, stream-beds, down-fall trees, steep hill-sides and some really nice, but rock-infested fields of flowers. Any one remember where the two leads from the Section's computer run to?

post-19384-0-65675600-1463806783_thumb.jpg

I sold my pristine '97 section to Bob @ B&J , as I prefer my trusty 240 much better for the riding I get to do . And I had to free up some shop space ... Loved the bike though , and almost wish it was still in my Fantic stash ... 

Glenn

post-1232-0-78703500-1463854140_thumb.jpg

Edited by axulsuv
  • Like 1

Agree to a certain extent. From the numbers of repairs made to both frames of the bikes I have, it is obvious that the first two-years of production lacked any engineering on the frame. I'd like to hear from owners of the '97 (alloy frame) as to whether the frame problems were cured.

I'm sure I read somewhere they had problems with the original Ali frames bending hence the early bikes having the steel frame, but that might of only been the factory bikes.

Got to admit I really like the look of the Sections but you hardly ever see them second hand and when you do people seems to want far too much for them.

• Like 1

Only issue I've heard of with 97 frames is motor mounts cracking , from vibration . But if you check all the mount bolts regularly for correct torque , it wasn't a issue ...!

Glenn 

Glenn,

I just welded the left-top tab that the head bolts to. So even the molly frames suffered from engine mount cracking. The first two-years seemed to have some problems around the top, rear-shock mount, foot-peg/skid-plate mount areas as well as the head-stock.

On another note, do you remember where the two leads coming from the computer connected to? I've got a working computer, but I don't have any idea how to wire it.

On another note, went riding with a nice group today on the same ground with all the flowers, and our youngest member (the most ambitious and risk-taking) ended up like this more than once.

post-19384-0-15123800-1463978139_thumb.jpg

I remember my Section, that was a '95 and I was still competing on it in 2005!

I loved the engine, powerful but never too hairy and it just loved to grip.

The frame on the other hand was awful.

The subframe under the seat particularly, it crumbled before I got it home, it must have been made of dust.

No matter what anyone says, they were still a 100% better than the K-roo!

(I know, I had one of them too)

• Like 2

Only issue I've heard of with 97 frames is motor mounts cracking , from vibration . But if you check all the mount bolts regularly for correct torque , it wasn't a issue ...!

Glenn

If the link works this was what I had read, http://www.retrotrials.com/page-19-2013-tommi-ahvala-feature-interview.html it was an interview with Tommi Ahvala he is talking about the prototype ali frame that had the problem. It's only from one persons point of view but it's well worth reading the bits about Fantic in his interview. Edited by smokey125
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a glutton for punishment ???? I still like my 240 (soon to be 340 ) better than the section I had ....But the section would dislocate your shoulders ... Serious oommpphh . , but still got great traction with some throttle control. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would post my Beasty.

Got give this non running bike last week.

Over the weekend, cleaned carby, changed oil, cut away all unnecessary wiring. 

Now the radiator fan works.

Also the bike now runs :D

trying to sort out brakes and clutch hydraulics.

Also need air box..

Stainless steel seat box section made by a previous owner.

whitehillbilly

post-21112-0-27977800-1466293969_thumb.jpg

post-21112-0-47110200-1466293990_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...