Montesa 4 Rt Will Not Select A Gear, Images Of Reason Why!

chappo

Thanks for the advice I got in relation to my previous post on this matter, please find attached images of my selector shaft when it was removed .

I can't believe that this much damage / stress fractures could have occurred after such a minor 25 mph off.

Has anyone else had trouble with a selector shaft where this much damage has occurred .

Bear in mind this 4RT is 8 months old and has been ridden sympathetically and maintained meticulously by a 56 year old rider.

post-15477-0-02100200-1463340871_thumb.jpeg

post-15477-0-47265200-1463340898_thumb.jpeg

post-15477-0-62960600-1463340917_thumb.jpeg

Yes , Baldilocks, it was on a greasy grass camber, I appreciate that something has to give but all that damage, the bike only skidded about 7 feet , t.hat damage is excessive for that fall.

A cartwheel down a rock banking I'd have but ,this was minor, I've ridden an enduro bike that's had more offs than that without any problems.

A simple snap of the shaft, but look at all those minor stress fractures on the third image !!!!!!!!

It could be that you have that rere defective part, even on a Honda/Montesa they happen.

Also, I have seen slow off's that have done much more selective damage than I would have thought, on my former enduro bike, than many of my faster ones as well as on my Montesa.

If the shift lever took the first good bite into the hill i wouldn't be surprised at all if this is what I would see.

Exactly the same thing happened to mine whilst riding the Manx once. Meant I had to retire. I could only change down but not back up. If I'd have known that at the time I would have left it in third and probably managed to complete it. My knock was pretty low impact. Apparently they are designed to break to prevent any more terminal damage. It doesn't help that the gear lever is so strong. I drilled mine gear lever after that to try and make it weaker, thinking that I would rather have a broken gear lever. Never happened after that though. Had another 4rt and never had any issues with that either.

• Like 1

You could of had a Gasser that would have broke a couple of gears or more. Shafts, bend, break or worse all the time. And no two crashes or get offs are ever the same. Consider yourself the lucky one!