4Rt Starting Voltage

thall1

my 2006 4rt has always need a hard kick to start, it starts fine on the second kick but usually I need to find a tree to lean it against first  - cant ever get it to start with the normal slow push through as on other bikes.... all the resistance checks as per the manual are fine, new plug, good earth, valve clearance on the (very slightly) lose side, idle speed ok. Voltage output at the light connector under the tank give's a good 13 - 14 volts at idle, however, if I kick it over with the normal 4rt push through I only  get 2-3 volts at the light connector on the first kick, 5-6 volts on the second and maybe 6-8 on the third but no more than that.... had a try on a friends 4rt and we get 9-11 volts on a slow-ish  first kick...

I'm assuming the slight increase in voltage after ever kick is the capacitor charging.... but could it be a faulty rectifier not giving enough volts in the first place giving the problems with the starting?

I'll be interested in how you get on as mine needs a good kick (compared to what I see others doing) from just before compression - no use if after compression, cold or hot. I have not checked voltages but cleaned up every connection with the earth being the obvious first target.

For refrance, I only have 1 smooth (push type) kick to prime my system and a second kick starts almost every time and only need a single kick when warm.  A good single kick will often even when cold start my 07 4RT but isn't 100% garneted so I most often do the 2 kick start when cold. 

I should have left it alone or kept my GASGAS!! I checked the earth plug under the tank....all seemed ok but thought as i'm here I may as well give it a clean just to be sure ....put it all back together now it wont start at all!!   I have got a spark, and a good one at that but that's as far as it goes!.... double checked al the resistance readings from the manual, linked out the bank angle sensor, put 12v on to the pump to make sure it works, and it does.....continuity checked all earths and they are ok....checked all harness plugs either side for continuity - all ok....but it wont run ....plug is dry but not sure if the ECU is shutting down fuel due to an issue somewhere else?..... bike was running before it went away two weeks ago.....

I would double check the plug and wires betwee the pump and the harness, last time I had the same simptomes I had a connection issue with that plug. 

In my case it was just barley plugged in , but a loose conector or broken wiere between the conectors in the plug could also cause that.

Good luck.

Edited by jonnyc21

Is there any petrol in it!! Also had similar symptoms, and as jc21 says, it was the fuel pump to harness connector. Double check that plug as the tank can trap or push it at funny angles. Also, is the small grey rubber pipe attatched to the injector as it won't run without that.

I put 12v onto the pump and fuel was pumped out at a high rate so 'tea bag' filter should be ok.... tried starting the bike with the take lifted off to make sure pump connector wasn't being dislodged...still nothing!...will look again over the weekend.... 

• Like 1