Tarnished Forks

hol645

He/she means the legs, not the stanchions. Are they anodized silver, painted silver or just brushed aluminium? If they are the latter 2 polish them (emery and tcut), if its the former, it would be a right pain to remove.

Edited by faussy

How do you know? The term fork leg is used by different people to mean stanchion or slider.

Never heard a fork stanchion called a leg before in my life, and the legs are far more prone to tarnishing than chrome or anodised stanchions. 

The clue is in the name, leg...

Edited by faussy

have heard, but not sure if it's true.....that anodizing can be removed with oven cleaner!!!!!

Anodising is a hard coating on aluminium and is a form of aluminium oxide. Some oven cleaners contain sodium hydroxide. Sodium hydroxide solution dissolves both aluminium and aluminium oxide

I've heard the bottom bits (of pre-USD forks) that the wheel axle connects to called bottles, sliders and legs.

I've also heard the whole assembly called a leg.

I've heard the long tubular bits with the smooth shiny surface called tubes, stantions, staunchions, stantons, stornchons, sliders and legs

There is nothing wrong with calling anything anything, as long as the message is successfully communicated.

When the initial question was asked, I wondered what the writer meant by "tarnished"

I'm still trying to work it out what "tarnished front forks" means to the writer, hoping I can help with the problem

• Like 1