netley

Montesa/Honda 348 ?

Its def a 349 prob an 81yr model, released as celebration of their 1980 world championship. As already mentioned pretty much all of the bits are available for them but the motors are a law unto themselves.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, netley said:

Thanks. I need to give it some thought for a day or two.

All a bit old and tatty but that also describes me so we could be well suited.

Any other comments will be welcome.

Neil

That bike looks pretty good to me, it just needs cleaning/polishingup a bit and some touching up on the paint work put some new decals on it and you would not recognise it.

• Like 1

Yes I'm definately interested as long as the engine is ok as it seems they aren't exactly straightforward to rebuild.

I've never really got on with left foot braking on my Bultaco being used to Japanese road bikes. I may prefer it but can't keep both.

If I get it I will probably be bombarding the site with questions.

thanks for all your input.

Neil

Hi, I picked the Montesa up yesterday and I have a few questions. The frame/engine no. is 51M22445 there are definately not any lower frame rails. After a cursory glance it looks like the bash plate is just hooked on at the back of the engine and doesn't give any rigidity.

Also, are the forks standard, is the fuel tank road legal, it looks like fibreglass, and is the carb original ?

pics to follow.

Hi, I picked the Montesa up yesterday and I have a few questions. The frame/engine no. is 51M22445 there are definately not any lower frame rails. After a cursory glance it looks like the bash plate is just hooked on at the back of the engine and doesn't give any rigidity.

Also, are the forks standard, is the fuel tank road legal, it looks like fibreglass, and is the carb original ?

More pics to follow.

20170401_074359.jpg

20170401_074439.jpg

Carby and forks and frame look right for a 1981 349. Front wheel having a gold rim means it is from a later bike. I'll have another look at it

• Like 1

Front wheel looks like a later model Montesa Cota that has a Honda hub (from after Honda bought part ownership of Montesa~1985 maybe)

• Like 1

The bashplate is not the original one and doesn't fit very well.

I wouldn't worry much that it is not working as a stressed member with those rear mounting clips like that.

The motor castings are easily strong enough to act as the frame member as long as the engine mount bolts are kept tensioned and you are not planning to ride at world trials championship level or race it over the jumps on a modern MX track.

• Like 1

I'm a complete beginer so there's no danger of that. 

Will the plastic tank ( repaired with fiberglass) be road legal ?

Keep the spokes tensioned nicely with that hub because they are known to crack around the spoke flange if the spokes are not kept tensioned properly. I'm not sure if it is the Honda hub from that photo, but the later model Montesas had them and it looks like one from what you can see.

• Like 1