2006 Beta - First Impressions

danielst

I'm pretty surprised that I haven't seen any chat about '06 models now that they are out, so I thought I'd stop lurking and stop a topic.

I got mine on Monday and have got about an hour and a half or so of riding in on it thus far. I am coming from an '04 model 270 that I bought from new.

A little background to put my comments into perspective. I'm in my second full year of trials riding (I ride the Advanced line), and have raced enduro bikes for the last 15 years. I'm 32 and took up trials as a "cross-training" tool but quickly became addicted and now ride it more than my enduro bikes. I've owned 3 bikes, all Beta's, one 250 and now two 270's.

-----------------------------------

+ The engine changes are very nice. The engine sounds very different from my '04. It still has a "Beta Pop", but not as noticable. It has a nice even pull from bottom to top with tons of torque. Very tractable power and no break-up on the top as it revs out.

+ I love the suspension on this thing. I never could get my '04 to feel firm enough. Right out of the box, the '06 feels spot on for me. I'm not much of a hopper, and with the firm front forks, I can hop even less. However, it is more than made up for by the bike as a whole reacting much better in pretty much every other situation. My zaps on the other hand, are just the opposite and have improved greatly. I can zap nearly twice as big an obstacle as I could on the '04.

+ The new plastic looks sharp. The rear fender is flat black with no gloss at all when you see it in person. I thankfully haven't tested the durability of it yet, but it feels about the same as previous years.

+ The kill switch/headlight switch. It is now mounted down on the bars between the triple clamps. My '04 had that big clunky monster of a switch up on the bars near the clutch pearch.

Dislikes

-------------------------------------------------------------

- The stock footpegs still suck. Some new Jitsies are on the way.

- I don't care for the handlebar bend. Dougie bend Renthals are on the way.

- The new headlight design is alien looking.

Just curious to hear what some others think.

Travis

06Beta.jpg

B)I like the tread marks on the stump at headlamp level, shows you have been practicing...

And yes informative too, as I'm shopping for modern bike to go with my 83 240 fantic, cause at 45 the trials bug bite mark on my posterior got scratched

again and now it itches... I hadn't felt it for about 30 years...

:D:P

Glenn

PS. my stock foot pegs stink too!!!!

Edited by axulsuv

I agree, it's good to get detailed feedback on the new models and the original post here was very useful. I noticed from the picture that the decals from the frame, where your boots rub, have been removed. Did they come off easily?

Hi Travis,

Glad you like the new bike.

Looks good. That Log,stump looks like fun.

The zaps at ENON will be Twice the size now.

Advantage to you?

BUT we're tightening the turns before the zaps. oops :P

Turn, hop, hop, hop,zap :D

JONATHAN get your old one again?

If he did no excuses for DENNIS to not ride events.

Milt

Only thing i would change on the UK model is to put a quick action throttle on (i believe they come with a black slow action one, may be wrong) and see what it was like without the flywheel weight in the summer..

Bloody terrifying if my '04 270 was anything to go by. Flywheel weight and slow throttle went straight back on... :D

I agree, it's good to get detailed feedback on the new models and the original post here was very useful. I noticed from the picture that the decals from the frame, where your boots rub, have been removed. Did they come off easily?

The bike comes without the decals applied. I like the look of the frame without the decals so I haven't decided on whether to install them or not. The swingarm decals are the same way, but I did put those on straight away.

im sorry if im wrong but have you got raptor racing foot pegs on there?

but the handlebar bend does look very subtle

Those are the stock pegs in the picture. I don't know why exactly, but they make my feet ache after a short time. It may be the large gap in the center. The aftermarket pegs all seem to have a center support which eliminate such a gap.

As to the throttle, it does come stock with the black tube. I have an aluminum tube (fast) to go on it. I may try and get used to the slow throttle though, as maybe it will calm me down in the sections. I'm trying to learn to ride slower and the fast throttle probably gets me into more trouble than I realize. Plus, the 270 engine is so good, that even with the slow throttle, it never feels lacking in power or response.

I don't know what all they have changed from '04 to '06, but the more I ride it, the more I can't believe how much better it feels than the '04. Everybody mentioning the rear traction is absolutely spot on. It gets superb traction and the rear end compensates well for bad hits. Maybe Bou's style just fits me better than Caby's...

And Milt, I'm gonna bribe Adam to keep my lines hop requirements to a minimum, lol. Front wheel hops are the most frustrating thing I work on learning. No matter what I try, it just doesn't seem to be clicking. I'm getting decent with the rear wheel though. You guys every do any play riding down there in KY?

Travis

I've been to Big Rock a few times on the enduro bike, but not on the Beta yet. Also, if I wouldn't be intruding, let me know when you guys are planning some riding near the OH/KY border and I'll try and head down there. I'm only about 1 1/2 hours from either Big Rock or Cincy. I'll PM you my email address.

Also, just an update on the 270. I just installed the VForce reed block that I had and they made the throttle response even crisper. This bike responded to the reeds more noticeably than my '04 did. I know they made some engine changes along with a new ignition, so I'm guessing the new formula is just more receptive to the increased airflow from the VForce.

Travis

The V-Force reeds for the beta & sherco are the same so a good dealer should be able to get them for you. If you need the V- Force part # I can get it off the box tomorrow when I get off work. I have used the on my 04 & 05 beta with good results.

I put v force in my '00 250

at first I didn't think it was that drastic of a change

but the more I rode it and accustom myself to it the more

I noticed .

now it will pull confidently from WAY down low (like well below idle)

its quite amazing, the bike carbarets(sp) very well and always has

but now its just several notches better