Airfilter

scorpion

Yes you should use a filter oil, it helps catch the crap that could block your carb. Most makes offer one, I have not found one to be btter than another.

Once you have cleaned out the filter with soap and water! and let it dry, put it in a plastic bag with some of the filter oil, rub it into the filter from the clean out side of the bag! once it is all oiled up put the filter in a clean dry bag and squeeze excess oil out of it. then fit back into the bike. With the 2 bag method you should be able to do it withot getting to much oil on you or the workshop floor ! B)

scorpion

Don't use petrol to wash the filter - it breaks down the cells in the foam and they close up - net result you tend to get a richer mixture - use soap and water as oceanvibe said, alternativly use Mineral Turpentine you can use the same bottle of turps over and over again as the crap just sinks to the bottem of the bottle.

paulmac

I got an aerosol of Foam Filter cleaner from my local dealer. You spray it all over the dirty filter, and it breaks down the sticky old oil. I think its made by PJ1. It smells like pear drop sweets B)

Then I wash the filter out in warm soapy water - and it comes up like new.

Spray it with the aerosol filter oil - I use the sprayon cos its not so heavy and therefore the bike can breathe a bit better - and Bob, as they say, is yer Uncle.

cheers guys for the help B) how ften do you clean the filter ? every time you go out, or wait till it looks like it needs doing, the manual reckons everytime but surely thats excessive?

Edited by scorpion

There are a couple of good posts here. One suggested using No-Toil filter kits. I've used this stuff and it's fantasmic. You use the No-Toil filter oil, and clean it in your sink with a scoop of the No-Toil cleaner. Your filter will look like new - it's amazing. My son sez the cleaner works on "regular" filter oil too, but I've not tried this.

Someone mentioned PJ-1 Filter Cleaner. I've used this too. It's the best for cleaning filters that you've used filter oils other than No-Toil. Spray it on, let it soak for a minute or so, then hose it off.

The reason you add oil to your filter is to trap the fine particles that can pass through the cells in the foam. You can put too much oil on the filter though, so be careful. You can seriously reduce your airflow and your bike will run like crap and you'll think it's a piece of crap and you'll have such a crappy time riding you'll think trials is crap and you'll trade in your crappy bike for a set of cheap crappy golf clubs. If there's a puddle of filter oil in your air box after you've cleaned & oiled your filter and let it sit overnight, you're using waaaaay too much erl.

I put mine in the washing machine on a 60 degree wash, and just use washing powder (no conditioner though B) ) comes out like new. then use shell spray on filter oil which is realy sticky (a pain in the @ss to get off your hands) then stick it back in B) .

I use Silkolene Foam Filter Oil, comes out in a blue, thin liquid and after about 5 minutes of massaging it into the filter it goes into a strong tacky substance then straight back into the air box.

Works very well.

Buy some of your own cheap washing up liquid so ya missus or whoever doesn't moan at you, and chuck a fair bit into a bucket of red hot water, clean the filter fully, and when complete, re-oil it.