Usa As A Wr Contender

ringo

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ya'll,

I may just have the ultimate solution. I don't think anyone has tried this.

I've just booked my flight to pick up a motohome in Providence Rhode Island on Decemeber 26. I'll be driving back home via heading south towards TENNESSEE and then West to California. I'm thinking I'll go "Mark my Section" for the world round. :D

I can place a banner on the side of the motorhome that says

"Searching for a world level trials competitor, inquire within"

Watcha think Dan? Can you send me an address so I can stop by and check the place out.

By the time I get home I'll have all the applications that I've gathered sent to Dan at the Trials Trainging Center so the new United Stated trials promotions group can pick our next winner.

Great Plan Ringo! There has to be a world class rider in the country someplace. A little advertizing should help a lot. Just don't tell them what the job pays! They may unvolenteer to fly the flag at the world round and return to service in Iraq with the US Army.

For sure stop by and see Dan, check to see if our entry has been accepted, We can flip a coin and decide if I minder for you or you for me. Lucifers is the local bottle shop, get there early or they will be closed, it's right next door to the Winn/Dixie, Geobels market or something classy like that. A good bottle of wine will soften up old Dan for sure.

Alan did I mention that the trials bikes in England are street legal? That a lot of trials start right in the middle of town? That the local stores will sometimes have posters of the events in their windows? That all the young single women are along side the start area to check out the sportsmen in town for the trial? That the local marching band comes out and plays along with the majorettes for the welcoming of the trials riders? That everyone goes for a p*** up in the pub afterwards?

Just thought you needed to know!

Here is a wild _______ idea. What if Trials was an Olympic sport? That has helped other sports grow and prosper.

For the US to field a true World Round Competitor it is going to take some effort on the part of some parents. Our kids have so many different sports that they can participate in, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Hockey, Track/Field, Football, Gymnastics, BMX, Wrestling and the list goes on. Many of these sports are offered at the local High Schools and if the player is good enough College Scholarships are available, both of my youngest children have received athletic scholarships which really helps with college expenses. (basketball and soccer)

A parent and the child will have to develop a true love and dedication to the sport and decide early on that the target is to be a Trials World Round Competitor. This will mean many sacrifices and a true dedication on the part of the family and the child. Once the rider develops as far as he/she can go in this country they will probably have to move oversees and continue their development. (All of this is also dependent on the child having much better than average talent)

That is exactly what many of the leading bicylce racers have done, Lance is a very good example.

I do not know of many young people, or parents, who would be willing to pay that price.

Wayne, anything worth doing is always worth the effort and your right that's exactly the type of dedication it will take. I've lived that life, it's tough and exciting at the same time, I simply didn't have the success due to my own mistakes that Lance or Bernie did. Nobody to blame but myself.

It does take good mentors around someone like Lance, Bernie or Dougie to keep them on track. Which is very important! That's something I lacked and would have loved to of had. In the end it's all about heart, individual drive and motivation, without that the best mentors in the world won't help.

Trials as an Olympic sport is not out of the question, by the way. Which would indeed spark interest in trials and bring in some young tigers we would not normally get in this sport.

A little side story, If your interested, a pal of mine who works for Ford Rally racing who used to ride trials. Maybe some of you remember him, Bill Kniege just sent me an e-mail and said he just spoke to Bernie.

I've invited bill out to one of Bill Markem's events for a day of fun. Bill works for Ford racing and went to LeMans in the 60s when Ford kicked everyone's rear with the Ford GT and the Cobras.

Lane :madsanta: I agree with your ying ang yang theroy. Steve just does not have enough yang. Why cant he have more yang like us.

Like how we said Christy Williams got spanked at the TDN. Oh yeah that was you (Lane :madsanta: )who said that.

Or how we took credit for Patrick Smage becoming a Pro rider because you rode the Pro class. Oh yeah that was you (Lane :madsanta: ).

Or how Ryon Bell could not beat Geoff so he he does not ride anymore. Oh yeah that was your statement Lane :madsanta: ).

How about when we said half the TDN team got spanked in Oklahoma. Oh yeah that was you too Lane :madsanta: ).

Or how you rode some of the sections at the Temecula Nationals when you rode none (possibly one but questionable).

Lane :madsanta: You seem to be the one with negative remarks that hurt our up and coming riders and our youth riders. You take credit for things you did not do or accomplish. You have made several sad remarks agianst our youth riders. You comment so much you forget what you have posted

I am sure you Lane :madsanta:) will turn this into what a great person you are as usuall. But before you do read all of your post.

The list could go on and on of all of your negative posts trying to stir it up. But more than not you bring up the negative.

Edited by No Jive

Just thought I would put you straight on a few points on English trials, the following applies to 80% of the club/regional events here in the UK.

For the most part all events in England are mail entries only, you cannot come and sign up the day of the event. You must pre-enter by mail, similar to the US nationals, only most don't allow late entreis the day of the event like a US national does.

Most of their trials also start riders one per minute like a US national or an enduro. The entry numbers are often given by reciept of the entry, the first gets number one, The last entry accepted gets the last number.

No mass starts there either, with differnt classes starting at differnt sections. Everyone starts at section one and goes through the course in section order. Rider number one starts first, then one minute later rider number 2 starts and so on.

Most events are enter on the day, all sections have 2 or 3 routes to cover all classes, mass starts are the norm....odd number riders starting from section 1, evens from another half way round.

Alan did I mention that the trials bikes in England are street legal? That a lot of trials start right in the middle of town? That the local stores will sometimes have posters of the events in their windows? That all the young single women are along side the start area to check out the sportsmen in town for the trial? That the local marching band comes out and plays along with the majorettes for the welcoming of the trials riders? That everyone goes for a p*** up in the pub afterwards?

Hardly any trials here in the UK on the road anymore, certainly no before event posters, never any majorettes...........but always a trip to the pub afterwards :D

Martin

Martin, thanks for the UK Trials update, times have changed in England! American trials has has some influence on your sport.

I beleive Ishy is right, we adopt the ideas from everywhere that work for the best. Times change, land use changes and so does the vehicle codes. My last UK trial was 1980 and there is bound to be some evloution of the sport.

Clive, your right there is room for Ying and Yang of attitude in the sport, we need both. It's the differnce between the weekend warrior and the guy living the dream like a Tiger Woods vs the duffer golfer. Tiger would not have a job without the duffer buying Nike golf balls!

Our topic is the USA as a world round contender, You and Steve simply showed the differnce between the two! It's not a crime to be a weekend warrior, in fact the sport thrives on being fun and having a strong grass roots like yourself.

The observation I'd make is simple, how often do you see Tiger practicing with the duffers? You simply do not see him making it a habit of training with weekend warriors. Why? Because their bad habits and attitude rub off onto him and it will destroy his game.

The observation I'd make is simple, how often do you see Tiger practicing with the duffers? You simply do not see him making it a habit of training with weekend warriors. Why? Because their bad habits and attitude rub off onto him and it will destroy his game.

This contradicts what you said earlier. You stated that it would be great to have the likes of Doug and Raga ride some national trials so that the young up and coming riders could compare themselves to the mighty :madsanta:

This topic has generated a lot of response, some really great and then some that would appear to be personal attacks. We really don't need that.

Now back on topic, just how are will the US get at WR Contender? Alan, Lane, Ishy you all three have youngsters that have shown an interest in Trials, do one of you have a future world champion in your house? My youngest son had potential but he started too late and had other interests, he is finishing his senior year in college and plans to get his masters right away, he is also in love with a young lady.

What has happened to young Will Ibsen? I know that he was going to play high school football and was showing some interest in MotoX. I don't think that he did very well when he rode in Europe. Has he become burned out or just growing up and pursuing other interests.

Does Patrick Smage have the potential and if so who is going to mentor him? I know the family is very dedicated to the sport. It would great for someone to provide him with some additional sponsorship money if that is what he needs. Some trips to Europe would certainly benefit him.

Are there any other youngsters who show true potential (Skill, Drive, Attitude, etc.) If there are then we need to put our money where our mouth is and start a fund for these young potential champions.

Wayne

he is also in love with a young lady.

Wayne

Does em in every time, our lads son isn't old enough to drive a car, last time I called he was cleaning out the tractor so he could go down Silsden and meet some young lass.

Dad puts all that $$ into bikes training whatever and some little sweety can kick all that in to touch with a smile, I think as far as my lads are concerned, they both have a bike they can have fun on any time they want, but when school is over they will have to get a real job.

:D Wow ! I have just waded through the past 7 pages - ( had my Wellies on with some of Lane's posts) However I think it has been the most thought provoking thread for quite a while. Being an old fart I can relate to what most have said about the sport both sides of the pond, but this topic could go on forever - unlike other threads on TC you don't see any comments by youngsters! - Don't the kids Stateside, get on the computer, or is it just the old guys who rattle on about past glories? - Not that I'm taking cheap shots at anybody - there have been some very good points mentioned by older riders who still have a lot to offer, but has anybody ever asked the kids what THEY think - It is my view that there are too many Hockey parents out there and burned out teenagers are the result. Sure, money - the right events - the rules etc all play a part but the desire has to come from the young riders. AND if they are not having Fun thats the end of it ( By the way I bought my son five new motorcycles before he was 15 - he then got blinded in one eye while competing in a Cross Country Race - got filled in by mud while passing a guy & pulled his goggles down - got nailed with a rock)

Back in 1987 I put on a Canadian National ( one of many) and was surprised to learn last minute that a bunch of kids were coming from Vancouver Island - The course was all set up so I had to run around on the morning of the event marking out some youth sections - I then drafted one of my bad tempered buddies into going around to check them - there were seven riders aged from five to nine ( if my memory serves me right) Barry ( my buddy) put up with all the parents - picked the kids up brushed them off told them to stop whining & get on with it - As I recall one of those kids was Ryon Bell.

I know I've deviated a bit from the original topic but it just goes to show what can happen when enthusiastic people encourage enthusiastic kids.