British Champ - F.i.m Rules 06

john collins

After the British Championship Organisers meeting held in Rugby last Saturday I can confirm the following.

For the 7 British Championship rounds - the current F.I.M marking system will be used.

There will be a time limit on each Section - but this has not been set yet - but will be the same for each round - each section.

It is only these 7 rounds that will see this experimental change in 2006 - and the situation will be closely monitored.

Another change next year is that the best 6 rounds will count toward final classification - ie rider can drop 1 round.

Entry fee's etc remain same.

Obviously this change wil cause controversy - and there was much debate in the meeting. I think it is fair to say that there was a clear majority of those Orgainisers present who wished to at leat try the F.I.M system.

All organisers, All Championship riders, Top 6 Expert riders, Importers and Press had been invited to the meeting.

It is also fair to say that many have reservations - and hence it needs to be made absolutely clear that this a 7 round experiment which will be reviewed at end of season

I am assuming that this does not include the A + B youth rounds.

If it does'nt, then how can you have one British Championship

running under 1 set of rules & the youths, some of which are riding

in both championships, under the old FIM rules.

I welcome the change, but surely it should be case of

all together or not at all!!!!!!

Be interesting to see what they do with the time limit. I thought the time limit on my section at Hawkstone was too tight.

Yes, you could say the section wasn't marked out with the time limit in mind....but, wasn't the time limit brought in just to do away with the ridiculous time wasting?

If the sort of sections we are seeing regularly need more time then maybe 2 minutes would stop it being a race?

Looking through the Duluth DVD (Thanks R2W :D) there were a few very rushed sections there too.

I reckon the time should be extended, or more guidance given on the section being marked out to suit the time.

Well it doesn't surprise me that were going along with the FIM.My personal thoughts are that trials is going backwards going back to hopping rules.When I started riding 14 years ago,there weren't that many riders that could do all the trick riding and it did look really impressive but then obviously as bikes are lighter and technique has improved it is far easier to hop about.My personal view is that it is more skillfull to do the trick stuff while your still going forward.I just think its going back to the old 'tyre to the left,inch to the right' etc etc.I know the riders aren't going to have the time to have lunch and a cup of tea with their minders half way through the section but my point is that its more skillfull to ride no-stop or at least get a dab for stopping which is less harsh than a five.I had to adapt from the hopping rules to no-stop when it came in in the late 90's and I found it difficult as I was brought up with the hopping.I know many of the top riders agree with me and don't want the FIM rule.I see the point with the youths and with Dougie doing the championship but we wont go into that in this post!Can we have the thoughts of some more experienced riders who like myself have ridden four sets of rules in the last 15 years and see what they think! :D

Regardless of rules!! I think the C of C can mark a trial in a way that it is no benefit to pratt about hopping, those that do set a trial in this way will soon see if attendance goes up or down, and those that mark a trial tight step turn step tight hop hop hop dab dab hop dab pheeeeeeep whistle went, it's ok he was within 30 ft of the end cards we'll give him the benefit of doubt will see likewise.