Newer VW Caddy or Ford Connect ?

johnnyboxer

Looking to downsize to a smaller van, like a Caddy or Connect?

Can you get a bike easily into the SWB Versions of each, with wheel turned

Will 2 bikes fit?

I am plumping for a 2 litre Caddy, but the new Connect is hard to ignore as it's a lot cheaper

Anybody got experience of either brands?

I currently have a new shape caddy (mk4), lovely van and 2 bikes go in with tools, kit bags etc for a weekends riding. That with the bulkhead fitted too. I managed to get a ridiculously good deal on the caddy from a main dealer. On a steady run 65-70 i'll easily achieve 50-55mpg. 

I'm currently in the process of upsizing myself as I want something a little bigger and another row of seats. 

6 minutes ago, hugh_b said:

I currently have a new shape caddy (mk4), lovely van and 2 bikes go in with tools, kit bags etc for a weekends riding. That with the bulkhead fitted too. I managed to get a ridiculously good deal on the caddy from a main dealer. On a steady run 65-70 i'll easily achieve 50-55mpg. 

I'm currently in the process of upsizing myself as I want something a little bigger and another row of seats. 

Is that a SWB Caddy? The 2 litre? or a Maxi?

You won't get 2 bikes in a new shape SWB Connect unless you take the bulkhead out or take the front wheel out the bike....One is no problem going diagonal.  The L2 which is 440mm longer is not a problem for 2 bikes.

Edited by gasserguy
  • Like 1

I have a 2011 Caddy Maxi and it's just long enough for an enduro bike with the bulkhead fitted. A trials bike goes in easily but I'm surprised to hear that the standard Caddy is long enough unless maybe you put it in diagonally.

I looked at the Connect when I was buying but the new shape ones were out of my price range. IIRC the connect is slightly taller inside or at least has a high roof option. While the Caddy is high enough for a trials bike it is a bit awkward when you and the bike are in there and you are trying to reach around it to strap it down. Having doors on both sides (standard I think) helps a lot though. If you want to carry anything taller than a trials bike the low roof is a real drag - you need to remove the handlebars. The Caddy isn't as boxy as most vans which exacerbates the low roof issue.

Edited by Yambo
  • Like 1

Hi

After having company cars and a trailer for years I finally bought an 80k mile SWB Berlingo and the 4RT fitted fine diagonally across with the bulkhead fitted. I thought it was a great van but it was a 6 years old and after a couple of years I decided I could afford something newer. I looked at the Caddy as I've been happy with 3 VW golf cars in the recent past but I couldn't find a good lightly used one at the right price. I tried the dealers demo model (66 plate) of the Transit Connect which had auto box and alloy wheels and after a bit of a haggle bought it. I'm delighted with it. Its the SWB version and the Vertigo goes in a treat diagonally with the substantial bulkhead in place. Its a great drive with large cabin space, 3 seats, decent aircon and ok radio. The rear space is slightly taller than the Berlingo . So if I was buying again today I'd look at the Caddy but think the Connect would be favourite. The local dealer was happy for me to try my bike in the back of the demo model before even negotiating.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, theluckyone said:

Hi

After having company cars and a trailer for years I finally bought an 80k mile SWB Berlingo and the 4RT fitted fine diagonally across with the bulkhead fitted. I thought it was a great van but it was a 6 years old and after a couple of years I decided I could afford something newer. I looked at the Caddy as I've been happy with 3 VW golf cars in the recent past but I couldn't find a good lightly used one at the right price. I tried the dealers demo model (66 plate) of the Transit Connect which had auto box and alloy wheels and after a bit of a haggle bought it. I'm delighted with it. Its the SWB version and the Vertigo goes in a treat diagonally with the substantial bulkhead in place. Its a great drive with large cabin space, 3 seats, decent aircon and ok radio. The rear space is slightly taller than the Berlingo . So if I was buying again today I'd look at the Caddy but think the Connect would be favourite. The local dealer was happy for me to try my bike in the back of the demo model before even negotiating.

Any glitches?

Some Connect's seem to run fine and others have loads of stupid issues, like sensors