Softening A '06 250

stuhrc

Right........... friend of mine, a good inter rider, recently got a '06 250 after a year on a '05 270. The theory was he didn't want the all out grunt of the 270 so opted for the 250. However it's a terribly buzzy engine, seems to have a powerband just over 1/3 throttle, you know, just where you don't it when in a river or on anything remotely slippery...... He hasn't done a thing yet, is going to try a slow-action throttle this week. Has anyone else found this problem with this bike??

I rode it yesterday for 15 minutes and I was bo****ed after riding it. First gear keeps you in around that powerband, then second gear is just too quick in the tight stuff, so we're looking to soften it a bit.

Is there a head spacer available to drop the compression and take that edge off, or has anyone played around with retarding the ignition??

Any info gladly accepted!!!!

Well it came from JLI through a dealer here, definitely a fast-action throttle. Not sure about the weights, that could make a big difference. Read your report on the test day saying how you liked the suspension. Compared to my 4RT it tracked nowhere near as well & just felt very dead. Needs a bit of work!!

I think the suspension just needs to be backed off a good deal, that should sort it to some extent...... No idea about the ignition, will have to call over & take a look. I think the "progressive throttle" on this bike translates as "switch to break grip".......

Anyway, any ideas if there's a thicker head gasket??

Put additional base gaskets in, not head gaskets.

Install flywheel weights.

Ok, flywheel weights are on.

PA, why insert base gaskets?? By doing this you are altering port locations, as opposed to simply reducing compression with a thicker head gasket. I'm no engineer, so any explanations gladly accepted!!! :D

I'm getting an 06 250 soon. I ran an 05... 03 etc before.

The 05 had a noticeable boost in poke over 04.......but not unmanageable.

I tried 06 breifly at BVM test & it confirmed my opinion as the most rideable bike with easy access to the Carb. Didn't notice any real extra zip, however was trying other really zippy bikes on that day.

I ran a Clerch cylinder head on the 05 - this had the effect of increasing torque just off idle, better pulling - but less mid range. Initally you think its softer in the mid range but then realise it'll really rev but just needs a little more throttle than before. IMHO brilliant in southern mud but maybe stock better over northern rock steps...

Is this the effect of higher compression or just the different head shape?

Beta sell a head too & it looks similar in shape & cheaper - but I don't know if thats the same profile/volume. Anyone tried that yet?

post-37-1135074399.jpg

This is not a wise crack in any way but I cant help but think that if some folks would just put their bikes in second gear and use the clutch their lives would be much easier. A lot less expensive in bike mods.

I have been on Betas since the Revs were introduced. The only modification they need is a fast throttle and a float adjustment. My 05 was the best bike ever. Rode the season basically in second gear. Slow twisty sections to fairly big hillclimbs. Thats in Expert class.

2 strokes and clutches go hand in hand. To ride well you will find you rely on the clutch lever more than the throttle. Just my opinion.

Aaron

im loving my 06 250 at the mo before i had a 02 250 from nearly new. i was all ways a high gear person but since having the new one been using first. really like the progressive power but thought it was on a slow throttle will check though and possibly experiment. its got the smoothness of my old 02 but livens right up when you open it up which i love for steps and our muddy banks we get down here. and they should come with flywheel weights as far as i know (something the gassers lack)

I reckon that if the 250 has enough power for Steve Saunders then it probably has too much for most of us. Maybe the 200 is the right bike for most intermediate riders, if we could be confident that it could handle most hill climbs and moderate steps.

• 2 weeks later...

My 06 250 arrived...with a fast throttle. So that was off before I ride it.

Have ridden one muddy slippery southern event and 06 engine feels crisp & zippy, possibly more so than the 05. I may be able to ride 05 on Monday to check.

Other observations: 06 pilot jet seems too big, Bars feel high, rear suspension superb, and sadly carb mode still needs doing. Had trouble firing her up - kill switch was sticky - just like last years. It does seem harder to kick over, is there higher compression this year?

• 3 weeks later...

Stu,

Did your pal cure the fast Beta?

Once I got mine in rocky stream it felt just the same - quick & twitchy.

I think I've cured it. Replace fast throttle with slow (if you have slow brain like me..). Engine wise I jetted down, but the best improvement was re-packing silencer with proper stuff. I do this sooner or later usually, but it transformed engine back into the steady progessive lump I know betas 250 to be. No more "power band".

Handling wise - I RTFM....& set forks accordingly,I had too much spring wound on for my svelte figure. Moved bars back slightly too & now its steady as a rock. I was running bars too forwards initially. HTH