Toby Martyn

nigel dabster

Jake miller on Instagram telling Toby how proud he was at the way he took defeat yesterday ,that’s not good enough for me ,if there was blatant cheating going on why wasn’t there an fim delegate overseeing the observing , surely after grattarola came in from the first lap on one mark eye brows should have been raised ,the Italian round should be dropped next year it’s a disgrace 

• Like 1

Jake miller on Instagram telling Toby how proud he was at the way he took defeat yesterday ,that’s not good enough for me ,if there was blatant cheating going on why wasn’t there an fim delegate overseeing the observing , surely after grattarola came in from the first lap on one mark eye brows should have been raised ,the Italian round should be dropped next year it’s a disgrace 

Not disputing Dabsters comments as I haven't seen the severity of the incident he is referring to. But have we not been looking at world trial videos for years a saying why wasn't that a five?

Professional observers may sound like a good idea but as the rule stands in terms of benefit of doubt,  it's not a stop if you hop or the next rock is big / awkward  etc what's the point of a professional observer? You have to have rules which can be consistently and objectively applied. 

For all the Facebook live, various  websites, qualifying,  night qualifying etc we don't have the basic of any sport in place, a proper set of rules.

Looking at social media and speaking to someone who was there yesterday, it appears that Marcelli was given a 5 in section 15 that if it stood would have changed the whole outcome of the world title. He was judged to have stopped, the whistle blew and a 5 was  indicated by the observer. At that point the crowd kicked off big time and the observer, realising the potential ramifications of his decision, backed down and a clean was given! 

I don’t think we can argue that Grattarola was worth the win but sounds like Toby got shafted!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Allegedly marcelli fived a section yet the observer gave him a clean.

Blatant cheating which resulted in police being drafted in I heard.

FACT. Was talking to a lovely lady that saw it happen. He stopped, the whistle blew, and observer indicated a 5. At the point the crowd, realising the consequences, went mad at the decision and the observer did a u turn. Total horse ****! 

Surely there’s grounds for an appeal?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

Care to comment @neils on wheels now?

I'm happy to comment Dabster, now that the trial has taken place.

The results and on line comments, suggest that Grattarola & Marcelli's results were manipulated to make sure Toby Martyn didn't win the trial or the championship. I like others ask why the FIM and/or Sport 7 did not intervene. Perhaps they would care to comment. Or should that be 'dare to comment'?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sad and something I don't recognise. I think this explains a lot and I find it appalling that people should consider that the observers have cheated.....I must say that I have never come across anyone who cheats,people everywhere are jolly nice and just because the result has not turned out to be the one that was hoped for does not mean that observers at the Italian round were dishonest.

Ohh  Daniel; alas your cricket team were just the tip of the ice berg.

Edited by oni nou
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dmc2028372 said:

FACT. Was talking to a lovely lady that saw it happen. He stopped, the whistle blew, and observer indicated a 5. At the point the crowd, realising the consequences, went mad at the decision and the observer did a u turn. Total horse ****! 

Surely there’s grounds for an appeal?

If it happened like this then you can guarantee other riders / minders would have seen and kicked off and an appeal would happen surely.

Also it appears from people that were present that Grattarola rode out of his skin yesterday, so suggesting his results were manipulated would seem a bit unfair on him as is suggesting that Martyn would never finish higher than 3rd place.
As I've mentioned before there is always a loyalty from local observers to local riders, there was in Silsden a few weeks ago and I've seen it many times at UK rounds and also abroad over the last 25 years or so, you wont change it. 

Only way to stop it (outside of professional Trial GP observers like I suggested before) would be all riders being recorded in each section so it can be reviewed an over ruled either quickly at the time or after the event.

My question is more about the FIM or whoever is running it. 

Were they either;

1. In some form of coma throughout the trial?
2. Witnessed it and totally chickened out from confrontation?
3. Witnessed it, deemed it ok, and the FB posters are just sore losers?

Trials has reeked of this type of thing for years, and even the most naive of persons had to have known something 'suspect' was likely to happen. Ive read enough on the internet to feel the championship results tarnished. Either way, i think they or the guy at the top should release an explanation as to what happened.

EDIT: Thanks for the redirect, seems this is already being discussed 

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1