Moorland Crossing

capt five

Hi all,

what are the moorland crossings like?

how fit do you need to be?

are you better being bike fit, or get oot on the mountain bike to build up stamina, both realy, but more fun on trials bike.

what training does everyone else do?

cheers in advance,

bryan.

Hi.

I have never done it but talking to Graham Charlton(my boss) he said that the best way to train for it is to get out on the bike as much as possible and for as long as possible because then you are working all of the muscles you would use riding across the moors. And you are building your staminer up at the same time. Healthy eating also helps towards fittness and staminer.

hope this helps. :D

Having done it once (2004) I found bike fitness generally to be the best thing, plus press ups, three reps of 50 each day prior to the event. Don't over do it with the isotonic drinks - plenty of plain old water is best (should be plenty of that up there !!)

Enjoy the event, it's magnificent and a real priveledge to be a part of. I finished with an award on a nightmare score, but I finished and that's all that matters to me !!

Only two ways to cross the moors, fast, or slow, if you want to go fast then you need to be one hell of a fit good rider, if your not and try to go fast it will physically drain you, your more likely to get stuck in a bog, and or damage your machine, and it will take longer to get across than if you go steady take your time and pick your line.

Very few lads can ride the moor fast, those that can do! those that try to go with then don't for long.

Going by the fact you have to ask, I would go for option 2, it's a lot less painful :D

Ishys dead right. Go fast on the moors and you will end up in trouble. Trying to keep up with someone faster than you can be very tiring.

Ride at your own pace and go round the bad bits and you will get to the end.

Being bike fit in my opinion is the main thing. Never gone for the 50 press ups a day thing! but I ride in a trial every week which is more important.

Mark T

Most of it been said, yes the moor crossings are hard and they are long, but take your time within reason and you will be fine.

The course markers can be a bit vindictive, and I am sure they read this :D , they put the orange flags across the moors in the most direct route, that means that the mother of all 'BOGS' could have a flag strategically placed in the middle.

Seriously it is easier sometimes to take the 2/3 minute detour round than getting stuck and using your energy to push and shove your bike out.

This will be my 24th year so I am lucky that experiance carry's me round, it is not easy on your first time, try and stay with someone that has done it before and use his knowledge.

You will enjoy it up there, it is by far the best trial in the world.

What bike are you riding? I have a prep list if you PM me.

• Like 1

I'll post Gizza's Riding number when they get allocated, then I suggest everyone on the first ssdt follow him, that way it leaves Birks free for me to follow :beer:

Did they ever pull that poor fellow out of that bog last year Gizza, or did they just cover him ower wi a bit of slop and forget about him :D

Did they ever pull that poor fellow out of that bog last year Gizza, or did they just cover him ower wi a bit of slop and forget about him

Last seen opening his camelbak, pulling out a pack of cigars and having a Hamlet moment...................bet your humming the music now :D:beer:

I agree with all that has been said but would add one other thing...

Don't hang about unnecessarily!!!

Many a time I've seen lesser/average riders looking at the top sub in Trotters Burn or last few subs at Fersit, eyeing up the line for a clean, taking 5 - 10 minutes to watch riders through, when in reality they have not got a cat in hells chance of getting up it. The usual result is that they have a five. If its a tight time day (Tuesday, Chairlift/Rannoch Moor day, Fersit day) concentrate on keeping on the move. Its too easy to waste section viewing time and end up racking up some time penalties.

So the moral is:

Don't spend 10 minutes (equvalent of 10 time faults) looking at a section you are at best going to "three" but most likely going to "five" and lose unnecessary time faults.

Enjoy!!

I agree about the wasting time comment "Section Dossing"

A wise, wrinkly old Yorkshire man gave me a few good tips for my first SSDT: -

1 Park your bike as near to the section start cards as you can

2 Walk up the section and try to spot the best line, dump your rucksack at the top

3 Walk back down, stopping every now and again to look back up the section

4 Find an exit route if there is one (just in case)

5 Get on your bike (which is conveniently parked at the front of any queue)

6 Ride the bugger

7 Don't forget to pick up your rucksack - it's a ******* having to ride back to a section for it :D

An extra minute spent walking up and an extra minute walking back down over 30 sections will cost you an hour a day! Time can be very tight on the Tue, Thu & Sat. The other days are not exactly time generous either...

Good luck :beer:

The course markers can be a bit vindictive, they put the orange flags across the moors in the most direct route, that means that the mother of all 'BOGS' could have a flag strategically placed in the middle.

would we do that :D

its the thought of the mayhem it causes that keeps us going :beer::D

just think of the routemarkers having to carry 200 flags each across the moors, stopping every 50yards and also working out where to go - along with a rucsac full of spare fuel (petrol and lager) as we dont have the Army waiting on us !!!

we have to have some enjoyment :D

would we do that 

Simple answer YEP! :D:D

stopping every 50yards and also working out where to go

We are in trouble if you don't know where you are going :D:D

Tell me Mark, are the orange marker flags venturing down to 'Lagnaha' this year to spoil our scores :D:beer:

Tell me Mark, are the orange marker flags venturing down to 'Lagnaha' this year to spoil our scores  :D  :beer:

kin hope not, I really enjoyed the day round Kinlochleven last year. If we do go that way is it OK to ride back down from the Pap of Glenco the way we go up?