Trs 250 ,17 smoking when it's warm

pix_trials

Hi I recently bought a trs 250 when it gets hot (20 mins of riding) and after after a long hill climb the bike starts smoking quite abit but mainly when the fan kicks in. I bought the bike second hand and was told buy the shop that the previous owner nursed the bike. Has any one els come across this or has the previous owner just cloged the exhaust up with oil and it's just burning off. Thanks Matt 

1 hour ago, pix_trials said:

Hi I recently bought a trs 250 when it gets hot (20 mins of riding) and after after a long hill climb the bike starts smoking quite abit but mainly when the fan kicks in. I bought the bike second hand and was told buy the shop that the previous owner nursed the bike. Has any one els come across this or has the previous owner just cloged the exhaust up with oil and it's just burning off. Thanks Matt 

Just needs a good thrashing across a field a few times to burn excess oil build up in exhaust.. He probably never revved it hard thats all ??

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, casperrasper said:

Just needs a good thrashing across a field a few times to burn excess oil build up in exhaust.. He probably never revved it hard thats all ??

That's what I was hoping just looking for a second opinion before I thrash it ??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bikestat said:

i remember someone else having this problem but cant remember the solution. jack at john lee motorcycles sorted it for him . give them a call and explain.jack used to be  mechanic for adam raga and was aware of this problem.

Ok brilliant I will definitely try get in contact with him have you got a number for Jack thanks 

1 hour ago, tshock250 said:

Assuming you are using good quality synthetic oil at the correct ratio?

Yes I have been runing at 70/1 And putoline tt pro trial oil as recommended by my local dealer but by the looks of it the previouse owner used more oil than this 

Get bike nice and warm, gently begin to lay bike over to one side until almost laying on ground, throttle should be held near to wide open, allow engine to clear its throat, consume excess oil out of crankcase. Repeat by laying bike on opposite side, approx. 30 secs a side. The old ways are sometimes the best! Bear in mind the exhaust will have oil hanging around in it and as suggested a good thrashing....sounds bad doesnt it...but a good blast along a trail at speed should help clear out some of the oil?

If im not mistaken TRS advise 100:1 oil ratio, if the previous owner has been using even more oil than the  70:1 you are using, and riding gently there is your problem.

If it were mine, I would be  on 85:1 unless you're doing fast trail riding or revving the bike very hard for bigtime sections frequently.

Edited by tshock250

• 1 month later...