Fantic 240 rear shocks

erubin

I just purchased a Fantic 240 trials that I intend to do a full restoration on.  The bike came with NOS Marzochi shocks on the rear.  are these worth keeping or should I replace with a more modern setup like Rockshox's?

image.png.69731f598dcefd8ae6742e3a56fa1ff1.png

Edited by erubin

The bike needs cosmetic work and some minor frame repair.  Also looking to move the foot rests and add modern pegs.  I have some new stems with steepened head angle on the way.  I have experience with modern upgrades to TY 175s but this is my first twin shock Fantic.  Not going to mess with steering angle beyond yokes, but may do some work on the front forks.  I also plan to modify the gearing and add a new air box, carb and head pipe.

11 hours ago, erubin said:

I just purchased a Fantic 240 trials that I intend to do a full restoration on.  The bike came with NOS Marzochi shocks on the rear.  are these worth keeping or should I replace with a more modern setup like Rockshox's?

image.png.69731f598dcefd8ae6742e3a56fa1ff1.pngE

A couple of years ago I sold a new and unused set of these I had left over from buying a new bike in the day (the Fox Shox I had from the previous bike were better). The guy who bought them thought they were good until he tried something more modern, which he has retained. If you're doing the forks there is no point in not modernising the rear. Take a shot on any bike so equipped if you don't believe me. Technology has moved on.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

2 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

A couple of years ago I sold a new and unused set of these I had left over from buying a new bike in the day (the Fox Shox I had from the previous bike were better). The guy who bought them thought they were good until he tried something more modern, which he has retained. If you're doing the forks there is no point in not modernising the rear. Take a shot on any bike so equipped if you don't believe me. Technology has moved on.

If fox shocks were better, the originals must have been truly dire !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

I have used Falcons on my TY builds and have been very happy with the feel.  I was also thinking about going a sightly longer to steepen the head angle a bit more. 

4 hours ago, metisse said:

The footrest mod is a good one,  but the 240 Fantic is possibly the best twinshock trials bike out there, out of the crate.  Don't fix what ain't broken.

Not doing anything crazy.  Just some upgrades to the carb, bash plate, airbox, suspension, yolks and foot pegs.  Most of the work is cosmetic and or fixing damage due to years of wear and tear.  Luckily my head tube angle is still in spec.

2 hours ago, b40rt said:

If fox shocks were better, the originals must have been truly dire !

Exaclty, the originals were very good, I cannot believe the rubbish about fitting this and changing that, when the 240 Fantic was the best anyway. Spend more time on the bike, practice and more practice will get the results, you cannot buy or engineer your way to becoming a better rider....and better results.  Still everyone to their own... Next. 

54 minutes ago, metisse said:

Exaclty, the originals were very good, I cannot believe the rubbish about fitting this and changing that, when the 240 Fantic was the best anyway. Spend more time on the bike, practice and more practice will get the results, you cannot buy or engineer your way to becoming a better rider....and better results.  Still everyone to their own... Next. 

No changes other than modern foot pegs will not be reversible.  I tend to like a more forward position and just dislike the tiller effect.  I have change stems on 2 ty175s and a TY Mono and have not regretted it.  I always keep the stock items and convert back to stock if I stop riding it.  Just personal preference.  Probably because I came from a mountain bike background. 

14 hours ago, erubin said:

No changes other than modern foot pegs will not be reversible.  I tend to like a more forward position and just dislike the tiller effect.  I have change stems on 2 ty175s and a TY Mono and have not regretted it.  I always keep the stock items and convert back to stock if I stop riding it.  Just personal preference.  Probably because I came from a mountain bike background. 

Any mountain bike I've been on has a stem 40 +mm, yet nobody complains if the "tiller effect "  ?