Oil leak at bottom of fork

diesel2607

I have already replaced the copper washer at the bottom of my left hand fork as it was leaking did a trial and it was still leaking there I have since changed the fork seals so had he washer out again put back together and the left hand fork is still leaking from the bottom after I have had a ride around the garden 

Any ideas on what else could be causing this as the washer has been replaced 

First check that it is not the fork seals that are weeping. 

Then you may need to re-soften your copper washer for it to seal properly.  Remove the drain screw from the bike.  Hang the copper washer on a piece of wire.  Use a blowlamp to heat it up to cherry red.  Allow it to cool down naturally.  Ensure that the underside of the screw and the mating surface are clean and not scratched.  Refit bolt and washer.  Refill fork oil.  

13 hours ago, stpauls said:

Use a blowlamp to heat it up to cherry red.  Allow it to cool down naturally.  

It needs to be quenched in cold water to anneal (the opposite of steel)

Edited by suzuki250

I will try to heat up the washer I am pretty sure it's not the fork seals weeping they seem ok now do yoibknow of on the left-hand leg I could just undo the screw and then replace or will the internals disappear up the leg and need the oil drained before I refit the screw 

As far as I can remember ?some oil may drain but nothing more will happen. Do not compress the fork. More oil may drain.

You can try 1-2 aluminium sealing washers. They are made of soft aluminium and may seal better.

I also think it is good practice to replace the fork oil once a year or so.

/Carl

On 4/10/2020 at 9:04 AM, suzuki250 said:

It needs to be quenched in cold water to anneal (the opposite of steel)

That's interesting, and contrary to what I would have expected. Hence I found it necessary to check some other sources to see if you are right. (You are ?)