help me decide on a brand new bike

wfo9

I've had two used trials bikes and this time I want to start with a new or nearly new bike.. (mainly because why not have some fun)

The two used bikes I have had so far were a 2007 Sherco 290, then a 2011 Beta evo 290. Both have been great for the level I was at. I really like the beta and it is still plenty of bike for me, but feel i want something a bit lighter and fresh.

I'm leaning towards a new Factory Beta 300 as my first choice.. But also considering a Sherco factory 300 or possibly a Vertigo. 

I've never had any issues with engine size and for where I ride the power is nice to have on tap.. So think I'm sticking in the 300 range, but could do a 250 as well. Just have no desire for a 4stroke at this point. 

I feel the build quality and reliability of the Beta is,excellent but the front end has always felt a little steep with the Beta geometry and that has me considering others although I can live with that as I like so many aspects of the beta. I'm still far from an expert rider and too old to go absolutely insane/expert. 

Obviously the answer is ride them... but that is not really an option given how rare some of them are around me. I may get a chance at an upcoming event to check out the latest of each. 

Curious to hear from people who have spent time on some of these bikes. At this point the most recent bike I have ridden is my 2011. 

16 minutes ago, dwb5151 said:

vertigo i have to admit is a great bike

There is a one guy local to me that has a 2018 and that is what sparked my interest in them. Seemed like a really great bike. Downside is price and potential complexity and no dealer anywhere close. But still might be worth it.. The fuel injection is both a pro and a con I guess.  

Well the engine in it is amazing, runs so good. It seems well made and the electronics are by GET, which is a lot better than hidria. They have never had to replace an ecu in on one, I definitely cant say that about my TRS's and sherco.

In the last 20 years I have had 4 Montesas and 2 Vertigos. My next bike will probably be another Vertigo. The latest DL version sounds different to previous models and looks to ride nicely. Why not flyover and test ride one? When its safe to do so obviously. 

1 hour ago, dwb5151 said:

Well the engine in it is amazing, runs so good. It seems well made and the electronics are by GET, which is a lot better than hidria. They have never had to replace an ecu in on one, I definitely cant say that about my TRS's and sherco.

It does seem nice. However. I can pretty much fix any mechanical problem on my own with a Beta and a carb.. But with FI.. if something does go wrong I'm pretty much SOL I think. Even though I have done plenty of FI tuning on cars and have no fear of it at all.. Without the software and diagnostic tools it could be a nightmare to troubleshoot. 

The bikes themselves do look amazing. There is a dealer about 4hrs away from me and I talked to him last week. He has no stock but he did say the US distributor does have 1 or 2 300 R models available but they are about 10k US. I'm definitely going to at least ride the 2018 the guy I know has and try to decide.  

I've never really had a single problem with my old beta besides maintenance items and crash related stuff. But that vertigo seems like a level up in tech for sure. 

Vertigo are very reliable now, not like the first models, however if you choose a factory beta you will probably pick the best all rounder out there. Lots of comments about the steep rake on a beta but i've ridden every bike there is and I still say the beta is the easiest to ride bar none.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, the dabster said:

Vertigo are very reliable now, not like the first models, however if you choose a factory beta you will probably pick the best all rounder out there. Lots of comments about the steep rake on a beta but i've ridden every bike there is and I still say the beta is the easiest to ride bar none.

Completely agree  

• 3 weeks later...

On 6/20/2020 at 6:22 PM, wfo9 said:

There is a one guy local to me that has a 2018 and that is what sparked my interest in them. Seemed like a really great bike. Downside is price and potential complexity and no dealer anywhere close. But still might be worth it.. The fuel injection is both a pro and a con I guess.  

i think youve answered your own question back up with a 2018 vertigo is essential

Beta all the way mate, had a gas gas before and they are great and easy to work on but it’s never ending problems. Had 2 betas and I’ve never had any problems at all, strong built and secure engine and highly recommend