Wrexham Trial

bikespace

Wrexham trial at the weekend was a bit of a strange one ;)

Some good sections (most if not all of them actually). I noticed on the web it said entries close an hour before the start, so I turned up just before 10 for an 11 o'clock start.

The car park was already filling up, so I knew it was going to be a big entry.

Queue for entries was massive, and start was delayed I think by about 45-50 minutes.

Big queueing on the first lap - I didn't have my watch on, but seemed to be at least 2 and a half - 3 hours on first lap. I suppose we were a bit slower dragging round our two lads on Beta 50's.

At about 3 the sun disappeared behind the hill, and almost immediately the ice came in. A hill on the far side of the course turned in to a tobogan run.

I ran my lads bike up there, then went back for mine - Unable to walk past all the sad faced white route riders stuck I spent about 20 minutes riding/pushing bikes up, while incidentally expert/inter riders just about rode over some kids :P I don't expect anyone to help my kid, he's my lookout, but there's plenty that could lend a quick hand to those on their own - not all of them were kids stuck by the way - I pushed a cheerful but flagging older bloke up there. I'd decided that if I caught the bloke in the red waterproof up, who actually knocked over a GasGas 125 rider and rode off, I'd let fly. Unfortunately i was there too long and never saw him.

Last lap started around 4 oclock, and it started getting dark :D

Now we don't take finishing too seriously at the moment. I flounder round the expert route, then dash back and watch/drag my lad through the white route, so if we were holding any observers up we would just call it a day, but half the entry seemed to be lagging behind us, so we stayed with it.

As we got to section 9 and 10 on the last lap, it was almost pitch black. I decided not to ride them, just shining my headlight on the section so Dan might see summat. There were still expert riders coming through hopping between rocks that I couldn't even see. The observer was saying he couldn't tell if he put his foot down or not, then trying to see his board in my headlight to mark it :D

To be honest, my lad loved it, despite a few big 'Offs' yesterday. Bit of an adventure following my lights off the hill :)

I absolutely don't want this to sound like I'm having a go at the organisers in any way - they work their nuts off. It seems to me that in a centre as big as Cheshire & N. Wales where 120 riders is becoming common, that two people shouldn't have to struggle along for an event like this.

There's plenty of whingers when things go wrong (not that there were any whinges yesterday really), but what's happened to the helpers? I don't really know the situation surrounding the club, but it seems that they're battling it out almost alone?

On another related note, I think the letters in TMX maybe point to a feeling in the centre that the white route riders are just getting in the way. I certainly felt that way yesterday. There seems to be an undertone of unhelpfulness. Barging past kids in the queue is common place. I tended to queue as normal with Dan behind me, then just before I rode through I'd make sure Dan was right behind me, even if I had to call him past some over competitive 45 year olds.

"Dan, you're behind me, get here!"

That's not everyone by the way, maybe it's even the minority, but it's there. On the other side of the coin, Dan had a fall on a section he normally got through, so I was in the queue. 3 of us got to him at the same time when he fell, dumping bikes to reach him.

That's long enough I think - summary - Good trial, some bad attitudes, some help needed (I reckon), and maybe if we can stretch to more observers, more sections less laps.

What do people think???

Edited by bikespace

Blimey Bikespace, that just about covers it all. Too many riders and not enough helpers or should that be not enough riders who help.

Sounds as if conditions yesterday conspired to create a problem that would not have occured on a summers day.

Traditionally the "helpers" are usually the older people who have stopped riding,but seeing as we seem to be able to keep riding for longer age wise these days it means clubs are running short of the type of people who would normally take over in time.

Good to hear Dan enjoyed it Gaz! I did enjoy some parts of the trial, but as you said, some bad attitudes! ;) . Like you mentioned on that slick ice hill back up to 7, there were kids trying to push up and getting tired and frustrated, droped my bike at the top to go back and help some of them and loads of other riders were just riding past!

Got very slippy, just ended up asking for fives on the last lap. When we had just finished, some riders were just starting their third lap! :P , not really on for the observers (coz it was near enough pitch black!).

Quite a good trial on the whole, just went a long to get used to the new bike :D

Interesting thoughts bikespace. I rode the same trial having made the 250 mile round trip from Nottingham to meet up with some old mates I've ridden with many times over the years.

You eluded to the fact that most of the work is done by two people, which it is (stand up Russell Dorricott and Dave Lovell), with possibly no more than two or three other helpers on the day. These two guys would have spent the previous Saturday spying out the sections, the Saturday prior to the event setting the sections up (four routes per section)and then checking everything was still in place on the Sunday which this time round included modifying one or two routes to take the frozen ground into account. Dave & Russ then sat in the cold for the thick end of two hours signing everyone in and sorting the entries before riding the event themselves and clearing all the sections up in pitch darkness.

So where are all the helpers ???? - mostly can't be bothered and will continue so to be until somebody else stops doing all the work and the trials stop. Some of the "blame" has to rest with the guys who run the club, it's not great leadership if you can't get anyone to do the work and end up having to do it all yourself. But ultimately, the riders are like kids who's parents do absolutely everything for them - there is little or no incentive for them to put in any effort.

I was looking forward to the trial but the day turned miserable pretty quick and didn’t get much better ;)

The delayed start had a major effect. I would suggest that one of us like me/gaz or another helper could help out here in future to get them through quicker. I certainly wouldn't mind helping if required. Doing it all on his own as well as issuing bibs etc was pretty slow. Hardly surprising it took so long :D

We started at section 10. I was first through and it was just past 12.00pm.It took exactly 3 hours to finish the first lap. It was clear to us that we wouldn’t get around in daylight and to be honest, I couldn’t face that icy climb up to 7 again because people were coming down it as well as trying to get up it! It was an accident waiting to happen. So I rode a few sections the 4 times for the practice then called it a day.

The sections were mostly pretty good I reckon. Harder than the normal clubman route we would ride and I like them like that so no complaints at all there.

Some sections had parts that if you got stuck you couldn’t get out quick so it took a while to clear the section before the next rider could come through.

And some sections were very long so again took a while to get through.

The bad attitude was present and I believe the late start was the major cause as some riders were desperate to get round and finish pushing in and racing by without helping others. Not seen it like this at any other trial I been to as yet. :P

I have to say the venue is awesome with loads of stuff to go at. Great potential. Still, overall a lot of work for 2 guys.. More help on the day would have made a big difference I think.

Like I said, don't want to be too negative on the day. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, the sections were good for me on the expert route, and good for Dan on the white route.

Nowt you can do about the icing over, it really was freak conditions.

There are a lot of people involved with one club or another - there are some who do nothing, and these are the ones spoiling it, not the odd white route rider getting in the way.

If everyone lends a hand just one or two times in the day, then things flow a lot better.

A few people taking things just a little bit too seriously. I'd rather have a laugh and help someone out (as would many others), than go for the ultimate ride and ride over people. There's a time and a place for that ;)

How was the Scorpa anyway Jules? Looked tidy on the odd occasion I saw you :P

I feel I must have my say...

firstly, the sections were spot on and the venue was great, and, as it was a Cheshire & North Wales centre round, it should be slightly harder than the norm, for those moaning there were 4 routes to choose from!

The blokes running the trial were struggling with the volume of entries (as they did last year, almost a re-run this time round!) NOT helped by numerous riders turning up AFTER the start time of 11.00am, one guy I saw turned up at 11.40!

Now I know some of them may have travelled a distance, and possibly got lost, BUT so did we, but we still ensured we were there for 9.30 (after a 2 hour + drive).

I personally felt they should have started the trial at 11.00, whilst someone continued to sign the others on. This would have split the entry up, reducing the queues. One thought for next time, make the trial a 10.00/10.30 start, early yes, but with the short daylight hours this time of year, at least we would finish in the light.

I also wish to thank the observers, who were stood out on a bl**dy freezing day for 5-6 hours, (i am also amazed at how many riders dont bother thanking them personally when doing their final lap, doesnt take much!)

Anyway come one guys, help the organisers by turning up with plenty of time to spare, when you have 100+ entries, it will take time to sign them on, but when a lot of them turn up near to the close time it is a recipe for problems.

1) If anyone would like to volunteer their help, please speak to either Dave or myself, you all know who we are.

2) Just as important is whether we are setting the trials out at the right level. As I have already said, constructive criticism please. Approach me at any trial and tell me exactly as it is.

Russell D

Chairman – Wrexham MC

[1] We (Breidden Hills) would certainly get there early and help you out with with the signing on or whatever. I know we arent in your centre but we can all appreciate the problems of a big entry when theres not a lot of you. (Same goes to any club that I ride at )

[2] The sections were good. The level of difficulty was spot on for the clubman route however I did find section 3 very difficult but so did most people. If it wasnt icy on that first ridge the section would have been fine. Even with that stream of mud flowing down at you :D

Freak conditions made the travelling between sections hard - in the summer you wouldnt have got me away from the place, its got everything ! The views from the top where Elwyn was were simply stunning. :lol:

It was the first time we had been there and we did have problems finding our way around on a few sections. Most were ok.

Must strongly agree with you in relation to the observers - damn it went very cold late on. <_<

what are peoples thoughts on riders who turn up after the starting time?.i consider them selfish.their is also another side to this,do they gain an unfair advantage?.if the start time is 11.00 and entries close 30 mins before the start all you have to do is turn them away,you would only have to do it a few times.imagine what happens at other motor cycle events,ie,moto cross,etc.it is a case of riders getting organised so that this takes the pressure of the organisers to take the entries and means the observers get finished in a sensible time,not realy rocket science!.sorry about the spelling!!.

I can't complain about one single section. Just gone through them in my head. Expert route - I think I lost at least some marks on almost every one, but I also got through every one with less than a three at one time or another. That's a fair test in my book.

White route for Dan was very rideable, and at his early stage that's all he can expect at every trial. Dan loved it too (slept well too <_<)

A few things were unfortunate on the day, but I didn't start this topic as a negative thing - except with regards to rider attitudes.

We had an excellent day, so did a lot of others. I'm struggling to imagine who the riders would be that pack up early and go home. You can't please some people Russ.

Well done the CofC, well done the observers, now just need some riders to get off their arses and get helping. Surely turning up at 9.30 to help sign on, then ride the trial is an absolute minimum commitment.

Surely turning up at 9.30 to help sign on, then ride the trial is an absolute minimum commitment.

If that comment is refering to my above post then I didnt say it correctly and you have misunderstood me <_< . I meant that we would get there and actually help Russ do the signing on or whatever for the other riders not just get there early to sign on ourselves. :lol:

Also, Congrats Flying Dab. You joined the site in June '04 and just made your first post :D is that a record??? ( or is the DB out of sync Andy? )

Ok my thoughts on the trial.

The observers deserved a medal as posted previous, as the sun went down it did get bitter.

I rode the clubman route and although I dropped a score a one day cricket team would be proud of <_< , to me the sections were right for a C&NW round.

I really enjoyed the venue as I did the previous years, yes there was a bit of queue jumping as people tried to make time up, it did get a bit icy but that isn`t the clubs fault.

The only blot for me was the start, and it was the same last year. Enough has been posted about this, and I just hope that the club can get a bit of extra help for next years event as it really is a good trial worth the 2hrs + travelling.

It would be a shame to read in the TMX about it USED to attract 120+ entries