New rider, lots of help required

FrankHugh

Hi, I’m in Canada now and not much of a trials scene where I am. Looking to get a new bike as a retirement gift to myself. Haven’t ridden any sort of bike since I took my bike test in 2000 and haven’t ridden a dirt bike since 83 (battered ty 175). What I mean by riding a dirt bike loosely translates to wobbling around a quarry in Bradford avoiding anything more than a mole hill.

anyway I am going to treat myself and was wondering if I could get some input on what would be a good first bike. I’ll be buying new. I’d like a montesa 300 but it might be too much bike! I can source Beta, Gas Gas Montesa TRS Scorpa etc.

I also like the thought of 4 stroke from a maintenance point of view but this could also be misguided on my part.

im 15 stone if that matters

Edited by FrankHugh

A standard Beta 250, since you have not ridden in a long time. It is the most forgiving. The standard Montesa would be next, but is not as forgiving as you would think. The electric start TRS could be a consideration, but everything happens faster on this bike. 

56 minutes ago, lineaway said:

A standard Beta 250, since you have not ridden in a long time. It is the most forgiving. The standard Montesa would be next, but is not as forgiving as you would think. The electric start TRS could be a consideration, but everything happens faster on this bike. 

Ok I’ll take a look. When you say standard montesa are you meaning 250?

You mention 4 stroke, 4 stroke beta is VERY soft in power delivery. Very forgiving and easy to ride and maintain. Certainly can’t fault the montesa for build quality, it’s all personal preference and not everyone likes 4t but thumbs up for the beta, particularly if you put slow action throttle on.

5 minutes ago, timdog said:

You mention 4 stroke, 4 stroke beta is VERY soft in power delivery. Very forgiving and easy to ride and maintain. Certainly can’t fault the montesa for build quality, it’s all personal preference and not everyone likes 4t but thumbs up for the beta, particularly if you put slow action throttle on.

Thanks, are you talking about the 300 Beta?

10 minutes ago, FrankHugh said:

Thanks, are you talking about the 300 Beta?

I started on a Beta 300 4T. It was too much for me, as a raw novice. I have a 250 2T now which is great, but If I could have found a secondhand 250 4T I would have gone for that. Having said that, the main attraction is the sound of the 4T, which shouldn't really be a factor.

3 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

I started on a Beta 300 4T. It was too much for me, as a raw novice. I have a 250 2T now which is great, but If I could have found a secondhand 250 4T I would have gone for that. Having said that, the main attraction is the sound of the 4T, which shouldn't really be a factor.

Thanks, don’t believe Beta make. 250 4T anymore. Only montesa. I concur on the sound

Hi

I have a Beta 4T 300 and I'm very much a novice rider.  The original Beta throttle was s very fast action, which made the bike a bit of a handful.  I found the Domino slow throttle to be to slow (you had to twist it too far for comfort).  A Domino fast throttle did the trick for me.  Bike is easy to ride, grippy and sounds great.

Stuart

25 minutes ago, stu109 said:

Hi

I have a Beta 4T 300 and I'm very much a novice rider.  The original Beta throttle was s very fast action, which made the bike a bit of a handful.  I found the Domino slow throttle to be to slow (you had to twist it too far for comfort).  A Domino fast throttle did the trick for me.  Bike is easy to ride, grippy and sounds great.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. 

I had a pretty big gap not riding and went for a new 260 Montesa 4RT (‘standard’ if you like) nearly 5 years ago. Great build quality, pretty low maintenance, better residual values than any other new trials bike and - of course - that sound. Always starts first kick (or gentle push on a 4RT - slightly different technique than a 2T). The only fag is the oil filter change but that’s not a massive hardship. About to change for another new one. After your TY175 you’ll find it forgiving but with plenty of grunt as needs (& the brakes work!!). Good luck - so many choices out there and everyone has a good opinion!

The Beta 300 turns better, has better ground clearance. Build quality is just as good as the Montesa. My son had one with a full arrow exhaust, which made in run real good. The Beta carb is a pain to work on. I had to rejet constantly. We ride from 2500ft to over 10,000 ft, so as a Dad I talked my son into the Montesa. Mainly because my fingers don`t work like they used too. Less labor is better at this point of my life.