20 year old Gasgas 280

AlanC

Hi Folks,

Any idea what a 20 year old Gasgas 280 is worth now? Assuming everything working on it. Did they have any major problems that  would be expensive to fix? Or anything to be looking out for? Just looking for a general idea for a friend looking to get into trials, and don't want him to get ripped off.

Thanks in advance

Bike prices have gone mad in the lockdown and in the UK you could get £1500 for it.  Whether it is "worth" that is another matter.  My wife's Beta would now sell for more than we paid for it 18 months ago.  My TRS is now probably the same as I paid about the same time back.  All of which makes it difficult for people starting out to find a cheap bike sadly.

Newer bikes are a better buy IMHO. 

If its a total shed about 500 quid, if its rideable but needs seals bushings chain sprockets wheel bearings 750- 1000 quid.if it's good to go with new tyre's absolutely everything works it would be worth between 1500-2000. Look for a 2002 - 2008 beta rev 3.had loads of them over the years loads of cheap spares online, thay are the best out the old bikes. 

Also bear in mind that a 280 is pretty vicious bike for someone new to trials.

Not sure I agree about Betas being the best, any old trials bike can be fine if it's been maintained properly (or a horrible money pit if not).

Thanks for all the info folks. 280 should be ok power wise. Used to driving big bikes on the road. And I was hoping that a 280 would be under less pressure in general over time than a 250. Not a huge choice of cheap stuff at the moment though.

Be aware of the 2002 GG Pro, this was the first year model and did have its fair share of gearbox/clutch problems, possibly all fixed by this stage. If you could be more specific about the bike's year and model that would be a help. Bye, Peter B.

16 hours ago, AlanC said:

Thanks for all the info folks. 280 should be ok power wise. Used to driving big bikes on the road. And I was hoping that a 280 would be under less pressure in general over time than a 250. Not a huge choice of cheap stuff at the moment though.

Well, it's a completely different type of riding.  I used to be comfortable on my R1 on the track, but a 250 for trials is plenty for me.

Thanks again folks. I was just checking to see if we were getting value for money or not. Limiting factors will be lack of talent and balance. It will just be for a bit of fun.