Rounded Bolt!

ned1

i've already tried to get at it with a hacksaw but the bolt is countersunk and is below flush with the plastic so i can't reach into it with a hacksaw, thanks for the suggestion thuogh. keep the suggestions comin' thanks!

In the Screwfix catalogue there is a "Bolt Grip Set".

They look similar to sockets but are designed for exactly this problem.

They appear to have spiral teeth on the inner edge.

Not sure how good they are.

The catalogue I'm looking at is issue 77 and these appear on page 466.

Part No 96028-77 cost

Try the cheap solutions first.

1. Grind the head off a small drill bit so that the end is flat. Use a reversible electric drill switched to slow speed reverse and lots of pressure. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.

2. Drill the head off the bolt using a large drill bit. Be careful not to drill too far and damage the plastics taking it a little at a time. Once the head is removed youshould be able to remove the filter cover. There should be enough of the bolt sticking out to attach some mole grips. If the bolt is rusted use some penetrating oil before trying the mole grips.

Good luck.

If the screw head cannot be reached by using a normal drill bit because of clearance issues with the drill itself then one option is to borrow a dremel or similar with a right angle adapter. This will allow you to access the offending screw. Whether you use a cutting disk, drill or grind stone is up to you. Once you have the head off the screw use a mole grips to unscrew the remainder.

Good luck!

Two drops of mig welding right on the top, grab with Vice grips (I think you guys say Mole Grips) and pull it out.

Course you got to have the mig welder, and put your ground somewhere so that it contacts, sometimes on a screw driver touching the side of the head of the screw.

That is after you have goobered it up trying the other ways.

One of my favorite stories. Main Rotor blade tip cap, two cobalt bits and a screw extractor broke off in one #10 cs screw.... yep, all stuck in one. I get the job and get a lecture about how I better not screw it up as this blade is worth 60K or so......... I replied that it was too late, all I would do is bring it back from already being screwed up. And yes, we got it.