3.2 4 Stroke?

trialsmm

I've had a go on both, and own a 4RT and love it :ph34r::D

As for the 3.2 Sherco 4T, I had about a couple of hours playtime on it totally different to the Mont but still a great bike. Big strong motor more pull than the Mont, but also a great buzz to ride.

Yes they have their problems, some more than others, Ishy has one and seems to cope quite well with the starting issue, but it is something the factory are addressing.

I have heard that 2 of the new revised 2006 version, will be taken round the SSDT and hopefully all the teething problems have been sorted.

That with the launch of the Scorpa will an exciting few months.

4 stoke may or may not be the way forward, and the 2 stroke/4 stroke debate will run and run, all I will say is have a go on one it may suprise you :hyper::D

I now have two 3.2's my first one I have ridden since June 05, never failed to complete an event and still running strong.

Monday I got a 06 2.9 ready for a customer, first time I had seen one or ridden one,I found after riding the fourstroke for over 8 month getting on a two stroke had a very different feel, quick, lighter feel, but harder to control.

Trials is all about picking a line and sticking to it, the fourstroke has the edge over a two stroke without a doubt in my mind.

Reliability/breakage, so far nothing failed or worn, with no extra care other than changing oil and cleaning.

Between the sections a sheer blast, less gear changing, better pulling power, and ten times more fun :hyper:

This is the first year of new generation fourstrokes, it will take a while but more will go to them than the other way in the coming season.

Those who prefer their two strokes, I respect your choice, have fun!! I'm hooked on the fourstrokes and will stick with em.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everone i have not had the chance to get on the pc for a long time,

I to have had a year on the 4t,what a mixed feeling i have on the bike

when it is going you could not ask for a better bike loads of power loads of grip and really smooth.

But when it decides not to go i could happily burn the bloody thing.

Sherco have a kit on the way but i have rsorted to borrowing my old bike back from the guy i sold it to,like atomant i might just be back on a 2t soon

Forgive my ignorance. In the old days a 4 stroke would start every time.

As in TL's SL's XL's etc.

It was the 2 strokes that were finicky.

What's changed so much?

Edited by Brian R

My take on it Brian, It isn't a new problem the MX boys went through similar problems with hot starting.

One thing I notice is the bigger the bore harder it is to start hot, couple that with a short kick start lever that doesn't give you a good throw to crank the motor over enough to clear it out and get a good fresh charge in to start it.

The little Scorpa 125 with a long throw lever is very easy to start, the Mont 250, has a short lever but fuel injection that is less prone to spitback and stall.

The Sherco 320 has a short kick lever, carb, and can spitback or flood a bit, getting rid of this is the hard part, some on their mx.enduro, large bore singles addressed this by adding a manual decompressor to allow the rider to kick the bike over a few times to clear the cylinder.

On the Sherco I have to go through a starting procedure correctly after a stall or crash, or the thing won't start, just through time and experience with the bike I have always got it going.

For the most part the bike is right and a pleasure to ride, but the punter won't buy them if they are hard to start, the next Sherco 4t will have to start well and consistently for the punter to spend their hard earned on a new one.

The Mont, has proved it has the reliability and good starting, from what I see the sales of the bike are improving, some will have waited to see what the first year brought before parting with a good chunk of change, others are making the switch just because they are fun and different to ride.

The number of trials riders on fourstrokes will increase every year, the bikes will improve as more is learned about them.

People like their 2 strokes, I'm not saying they should buy a fourstroke only time will tell, but I would never say never.

Edited by ishy

I really loved the 4t when it was running, but like dixie, I could easily trash it with a hammer when it played up. Sherco need to get rid of the carb and go for fuel injection. The engine characteristics were spot on I thought and if they got it right they would have sold loads of them I reckon as its a 'proper' 4 stroke unlike the 4rt which is more like a hybrid although still a good bike in its own right(Disclamer :blink: )

I think this is the reason Scorpa are waiting so long before they release their 4T to make sure its right and not go the same way as Sherco and the 4t.

Theres definately a market for fourstrokes but 2 strokes will continue to dominate unless legislation changes that.

IMHO

:D Having ridden only fourstrokes in Trials (and enduros,desert...). And only competed on a two stroke in junior enduros when I was quite young.(Yamaha mini),the XL wasn't out yet!! I have never had a problem starting a 4stroke.

It's always just been a conscious effort to bring it up on the compression stroke and then go for it !!!!!!

I can't wait till I can afford a scorpa or sherco , But I always have been a Honda kinda guy...

And I'm Still getting used to the power delivery of my trustworthy 240 fantic that I restored to get back into the sport... that has changed so much from the days of my youth... (mid 70's !)

But it is still the most fun you can have on two wheels !!!!!!!!!!

Now ,NEW bike or Lawn mower?>?>? (Large John Deer Type,a few acres of yard!)

Well rewind the fantics stator windings for now :wall:

cheers all :P:blink:

Glenn ;)

Edited by axulsuv