Rev 3 250 instead of 200?

NoTraction

Hi,

I’m new around here and about to take up trials in my early 50’s. As explained on another post I’ve had bikes all my life, once had a TY175 briefly but never done nothing competitive.

I’m torn between getting another TY, either a 175 or a 250 mono or going for a used Beta Rev as they seem more abundant and the prices are maybe a little less silly (although all prices seem a bit silly since lockdown!). I don’t really want to spend more than £1500 or so at present until I see how I get on with it if possible.

Question is, ideally if I get a Beta I think I would want a 200 from what I have read as I don’t want a bike that’s OTT for my novice capabilities. But they are thin on the ground, however there are loads of 250’s around.

Is it worth hanging out for a decent 200 to come along or would a 250 be just as good with a few ‘calming’ modifications?

I’m feeling my way at the moment and there’s a lot to learn and consider so any knowledge on his would be great!

Thanks.

I see from your other thread that you've had a bad experience with a Gas Gas 300, I've ridden several of these and despite riding trials for a few years including other makes of 300 I've had one catch me out when I failed to think about how different a bike I was getting on compared to my 250 Evo. They aren't all the same though, by the time previous owners have messed with them most bikes can be anything from tame to arm ripping, the nicest engine character I've ridden also happened to be a detuned Gas Gas 300.

Generally a 250 Beta Evo or Rev is not in the same ball park as a Gas Gas 300, they're calmer than a 250 Gas Gas. They have a very low compression ratio as standard and in most (all?) years also have a flywheel weight as standard.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be too fussed whether it's 200 or 250.

Just make sure it's not totally clapped out and check any over well.

Rev3's have a few foibles, but no more than any other bike.

Play close attention to the rear shock. They can break up inside, get all squishy and I believe are very hard to rebuild due to parts availabilty. Years back I had to go aftermarket, so I doubt things have got any better.

Cutches drag and stick if left unused for a while, all part of the charm but the engine with knock if run on regular petrol, they need 98 ron.

The Mikuni carb on models between 2000 and 2007 are a bit crude, they can lean out or dribble out on hills if the float height isn't spot on. The 2008 came with a Keihin carb that was better though a good upgrade for the Mik is a Dellorto Vhst.

Most parts are still available, but I think 2000 and 2001 rear mudguards aren't. These bikes had the airbox cover in the side rather than all the later ones that had it in the seat, anything 2002 onwards is pretty interchangeable.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 1:30 PM, Hughie said:

Hi,

I’m new around here and about to take up trials in my early 50’s. As explained on another post I’ve had bikes all my life, once had a TY175 briefly but never done nothing competitive.

I’m torn between getting another TY, either a 175 or a 250 mono or going for a used Beta Rev as they seem more abundant and the prices are maybe a little less silly (although all prices seem a bit silly since lockdown!). I don’t really want to spend more than £1500 or so at present until I see how I get on with it if possible.

Question is, ideally if I get a Beta I think I would want a 200 from what I have read as I don’t want a bike that’s OTT for my novice capabilities. But they are thin on the ground, however there are loads of 250’s around.

Is it worth hanging out for a decent 200 to come along or would a 250 be just as good with a few ‘calming’ modifications?

I’m feeling my way at the moment and there’s a lot to learn and consider so any knowledge on his would be great!

Thanks.

Hughie,

My first Trials bike back after a very long break was my Rev 3 250.

I used to ride TY175, Beamish Suzuki 250 and a Bultaco 250 all at schoolboy age.

The Beta has all the power when you need it, but delivery is super smooth and gentle, not going to get you into any trouble at all.

It's been great for me and as the last of the Rev 3's all the issues/foibles have been sorted out.

If you're interested let me know?

FOR SALE 2008MY Rev3 250 2T

Road registered as a ‘57 plate (V5 in my name)

Very, very good condition

Recent full service kit

Fork seals replaced

New Chain & Sprockets

Full length fork protectors

Apico Fork Gaiters

Apico levers

New grips

Wheel rim decals

New front & rear wheel bearings (supplied, not yet fitted)

Inner clutch cover was replaced by previous owner (due to corrosion) and then a Samco silicon hose set was fitted and it’s been run on waterless coolant since.

I have the full lighting kit, wiring, speedo, and a bunch of spares & other bits and bobs.

Starts 1st or 2nd kick and wants for nothing.

Unabused southern bike, I only ride in Novice!

Selling only as I’m upgrading £1800 Braintree, Essex

57 minutes ago, Bigkid said:

Hughie,

My first Trials bike back after a very long break was my Rev 3 250.

I used to ride TY175, Beamish Suzuki 250 and a Bultaco 250 all at schoolboy age.

The Beta has all the power when you need it, but delivery is super smooth and gentle, not going to get you into any trouble at all.

It's been great for me and as the last of the Rev 3's all the issues/foibles have been sorted out.

If you're interested let me know?

FOR SALE 2008MY Rev3 250 2T

Road registered as a ‘57 plate (V5 in my name)

Very, very good condition

Recent full service kit

Fork seals replaced

New Chain & Sprockets

Full length fork protectors

Apico Fork Gaiters

Apico levers

New grips

Wheel rim decals

New front & rear wheel bearings (supplied, not yet fitted)

Inner clutch cover was replaced by previous owner (due to corrosion) and then a Samco silicon hose set was fitted and it’s been run on waterless coolant since.

I have the full lighting kit, wiring, speedo, and a bunch of spares & other bits and bobs.

Starts 1st or 2nd kick and wants for nothing.

Unabused southern bike, I only ride in Novice!

Selling only as I’m upgrading £1800 Braintree, Essex

Hi Bigkid

Sounds like a nice bike. Could you send me some photos please? Let me know if you prefer WhatsApp or email. 

Thanks

Hugh.

13 minutes ago, Hughie said:

Hi Bigkid

Sounds like a nice bike. Could you send me some photos please? Let me know if you prefer WhatsApp or email. 

Thanks

Hugh.

Hugh,

I've posted it into the Classified Adverts here with some pics. But if you care to message me you're mobile I can send the direct via WhatsApp (and a couple of videos of it running)

Cheers

Carl

IMG_8285.jpeg

IMG_8284.jpeg

IMG_8283.jpeg

IMG_8282.jpeg

IMG_8286.jpeg

From my experience a bike that runs wel and responds very crisp on the throttle gives me the most pleasure and improvement.

A lot of old bikes have many many story's to tell with scarfs coming with that.

Go for the best u can buy and pay good attention when buying. Go for a fresh and unused example. And even then save a few hundred for maintenance.