Neutral Noisy - 280 Pro

magicmat

After speaking with Dale The gas gas importer in the states. He told me to use GM transmatic auto tranny fluid. It is the blue colored GM product. I bought one quart and used it, but the clutch was really sticky and had to warm up for 20 minutes before it achieved proper function,(and it was expensive!!!). I spoke with Jess Kempke and a couple other riders from the club and they all used the Maxlife tranny fluid. I tried that, and it works great. and at 13 dollars cheaper a quart I am sticking with it!

Yes, 03 was making a kind of ticking noise as the spring fingers were rattling in and out as the clutch revolved and the raga was making a grumbling noise which sounded like a knackered bearing.

On the tranny oil subject use dexron 3 grade atf fluid. You can get it from halford as a last resort but far cheaper bought from a motor factors....you being a student and all.

You seriously change the oil every two goes? do you ride it hard ? seems slighly excessive,

No actually you do! If the bike is relativly new then it is a good idea, also the pro gearbox lubes the main-bearings aswell and gets cooked.

I used to use Motul transoil 10w40 & use 450ml each time. it is a lot better quality oil than atf, you can tell the difference, smoother gear change, less metal gathered on the magnet on sump plug thing.

also on the 05's they reccommended to put 03 clutch plates in. Dont know wheather you have found the clutch to be quite heavy, but I put 03 plates in mine and an enduro mastercylinder and it was always perfect!...

Thats what i found anyway :)

Edited by Jools

I have read somewhere that the gearbox clunks because of the design of the new four/ six pro gearbox(uses less cogs and still gets six gears).

I will try to attach a piccy to this post which shows the inside of the gearbox and there is one on the web somewhere of this photo but with lines on showing how it mixes and matches the cogs to get the six gears. In the article that I read it said the gear changes could be improved by de-burring all the edges of the gear selector drum etc. hope this helps

post-1540-1140651137.gif