1974 TY250 Replacement Fork Springs

onefunride

I recently purchased a 74' TY250 which the prior owner rebuilt the forks. The forks feel very soft and offer a very flat rebound feeling.

I decided to rebuild them again since the stanchions are rusty. I ordered new replacement stanchions and new aluminum damper rods "including all the factory works modifications" 🙂 for what that's worth. 

I also ordered a set of OZO Pro Trials rear shocks (340mm and set up for a 230 pound rider).

I am looking for a set of replacement fork springs and possible rebound springs (if necessary) that will work with the above setup and my weight and I am having trouble locating them. BJR doesn't have any stock on fork springs at this time. 

Can someone lead me in the right direction of where to purchase, or if another spring would work?

What is the stock spring rate? I feel I may need a little stiffer spring for my weight. 

13 hours ago, onefunride said:

I recently purchased a 74' TY250 which the prior owner rebuilt the forks. The forks feel very soft and offer a very flat rebound feeling.

I decided to rebuild them again since the stanchions are rusty. I ordered new replacement stanchions and new aluminum damper rods "including all the factory works modifications" 🙂 for what that's worth. 

I also ordered a set of OZO Pro Trials rear shocks (340mm and set up for a 230 pound rider).

I am looking for a set of replacement fork springs and possible rebound springs (if necessary) that will work with the above setup and my weight and I am having trouble locating them. BJR doesn't have any stock on fork springs at this time. 

Can someone lead me in the right direction of where to purchase, or if another spring would work?

What is the stock spring rate? I feel I may need a little stiffer spring for my weight. 

The standard Yamaha rebound springs will work fine in combination with the aluminium damper rods that In Motion sells and with aftermarket fork springs.

I'm 95 kg and have three bikes with TY250 twinshock forks and all have aftermarket fork springs in them. Two of the bikes have the aluminium damper rods and the third has modified Yamaha TY250 damper rods. Two of the sets of fork springs are Magical brand and the third set is from France Trial Classic. All three sets of forks work great for my weight with the standard quantity of 10 weight fork oil and 31 mm spring preload. All three bikes have standard Yamaha rebound springs in them. I haven't tried them without rebound springs.

The Magical TY250 springs (dual rate) have an initial rate 0.36 kg/mm and a final rate of 0.54 kg/mm. Spring travel to reach the higher rate is 134 mm.

Standard TY250 springs (dual rate) have an initial rate of 0.26 kg/mm and a final rate of 0.42 kg/mm. Spring travel to reach the higher rate is 137 mm.

I also have some B&J Racing TY250 springs (single rate) that I shortened by 8mm for use with Gold Valves. They are 0.39 kg/mm.

The France Trial Classic TY250 springs (dual rate) share dimensions with the Magicals springs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Think franceclassictrial are still selling magicals stuff, have the majesty damper rods, magicals springs & fork caps in my forks & they work well, better than mono forks from what a friend with a 175 majesty says after riding both back to back

• Like 1

22 hours ago, onefunride said:

feetupfun thank you for the details. I just placed an order with InMotion, they don't carry the Magicals anymore or any TY springs according to their web page.

The dual rate with increased rate sound perfect. Now to find them. 

France Trial Classic. They don't call them Magicals but they have the same dimensions. They are black whereas the Magicals are bright plated.

9 hours ago, onefunride said:

... I hope it improves my riding magically. ...

I know you're joking,but when I got on my freshly bought "restored" TY175 and actually tried to ride it in a competition I hated the bike and felt like I couldn't ride properly.  Getting good shocks (Rockshox) and the Magicals (with a bit of playing around with the oil in the forks) I did loads better and managed to do more stuff than I could on my TXTPro thanks to the engine being more in keeping with my riding style.

So, you never know! ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1