First 'road' trial - advice, gear and equipment

MBWoodyBikes

I use Craghopper waterproof trousers,just wear a pair of boxers underneath, they have a heavyweight (winter) and lightweight version and even in hot weather I haven't been too uncomfortable. So for a road trial I would expect them to be spot on.  Good quality breathable walking gear seems to be far better and better priced than any of the trials gear on offer..

• Thanks 1

The main thing after the bike being in good shape is to make sure you and the bike have plenty to drink. Running out of fuel is my main worry in LDT's. I rode the fantastic South Devon Woo Hoo on Saturday and got through nearly 3 tanks of fuel in my old banger TY250. Every opportunity to refuel myself and the bike are taken. Knowing that the bike is all up together so you can just ride it without worrying is a big thing too. My TY looks like an old garden shed, but mechanically it is spot on, this is important with a 45 year old bike. Even more important when I ride the Arbuthnot on a 73 year old bike this year.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for clothing advice as it's looking like rain.... 😞

Also appreciate the fluids advice, that'll be key for me and I won't miss any fuel stops, I hope!

The bike is OK and will get a full check over this week. 

Specifically, do you run higher tyre pressures due to all the road mileage? Hand pumps are tiny, should I take one?

Do you take hard copy route plans or rely on signage? 

How do you manage the 'time' aspect - try to keep up with similar numbers?

What other tools, spare inner tube, etc would you take?

So, from my limited experience:

I have an Acerbis bumbag which is enough to have basic tools (forget an inner tube, think pliers, screwdriver, duct tape folded over itself, plenty of zip ties, spare spark plug with wrench), phone, a small drink, and a couple of energy bars.  At trials events they don't hang around between sections, I follow other competitors and signage.  Because I'm not speedy and competitive I skip sections if I'm getting left behind (I just go to have fun).

If you have serious bike issues there's generally a sweeper team that follows the route at the end to help out / collect stragglers.

Ditto on the walker waterproof clothing, for colder weather I use army surplus goretex on my top (with just a breatheable t-shirt under) and just let my legs get wet, lol.  For hot summer weather I use the mini-backpack that came with a camelbak, it can hold 2x 500ml water bottles and isn't too intrusive :)

Long distance trials are a different beast, lol

• Thanks 1

as above, possible two different questions between LDTs (90-100 miles ish) or a "modern" trial with road work

what we do is make sure we've got some sort of emerency tow rope (i got hold of some lifting strops), if you are going around with a crew, diffrent team members can take diffrent stuff (first aid, navigation, towing, punctures, etc)

i've got a garmin for LDTs (and a route book holder) and you always see people struggling with paper route books stuff in a jacket pocket. If it involves navigation, lack of a speedo / odometer will be an issue, but if you can latch on to some others navigating...

I'm riding the bemrose as well. I've rode it many times m8 and all I can say is don't over think it road trials aren't that different to normal trials really. I would take a bag with the basics in, pack or wear waterproofs. There will b 1 fuel stop which is usually back at the start or fuel trailer. Don't alter the setup of ur bike I will only confuse you on the day. Also it will be cold I live in buxton and I always cold 🥶 the bemrose has been call off cos of snow before now