Trials Riders On Good Morning America

mich lin

Simply put, the 2 days of training were amazing and worth every penny. ????John/James????? is an excellent teacher, a solid rider and a confidence inspriring minder. No wonder Dougie is so good and the ACU is using him as their training camp instructor!

I'd have to say that being with him was the best two days I've spent around trials in a very, very long time. The young and old riders who attended all came away much more confident, skillfull and much more rounded.

Just watching for two days, I learned a ton. To see the improvement in most of the young upper class riders was indeed amazing. The young Americans were good at zips and zaps but they didn't know how to get the bikes to hook up and grip, which is the foundation of John/James Lampkins class.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Debbie finished 18th out of 23 riders at the US World Wide One in 1978. Being the first and only female rider to ever compete with the men at that level. Making her unoffical women's world champion that year. That was on a production 175cc Yamaha, not a works machine.

She also tried to compete at the US round in 1977 but the NATC banned her from competing. Because of their belief that a woman couldn't compete with the guys at that level. She proved them all wrong, riding really well in the US Pro class!

I expect Laia Sanz to compete World Wide One someday soon with the men. She's an amazing rider and I'm going to be very interested in her results during the JR World Championship US round. She will be riding the same line as the US Champ Class and is on a full blown works bike.

How many US Pro class riders will she beat?

Debbie finished 18th out of 23 riders at the US World Wide One in 1978. Being the first and only female rider to ever compete with the men at that level. Making her unoffical women's world champion that year. That was on a production 175cc Yamaha, not a works machine.

She also tried to compete at the US round in 1977 but the NATC banned her from competing. Because of their belief that a woman couldn't compete with the guys at that level.  She proved them all wrong, riding really well in the US Pro class!

I expect Laia Sanz to compete World Wide One someday soon with the men. She's an amazing rider and I'm going to be very interested in her results during the JR World Championship US round. She will be riding the same line as the US Champ Class and is on a full blown works bike. 

How many US Pro class riders will she beat?

Do I understand correctly the US will have a pro class on the same days as the WTC just on the junior line?

Craig,

What the Fock is your deal with the Champ? We all know that Geoff chooses not to compete on the world round circuit for "professional business" reasons. Two things that you know nothing about. Being the mouth that you are on this board, [yes, I'm a mouth here as well] why don't you get your grudge out on the table. Let us know exactly what is bothering you about him so much that you've created a personal vendetta.

I don't have to admit that when I've created a vendetta vrs the Beave, everyone knew exactly what it was about and why I was doing it. Same with the other unmentioned P.O.S that was banned a long time back. [i'm not saying the Beave is a P.O.S., the mentaly challenged always have that excuse ;) ]

Point is, tell us what your deal is so we can either side with you or against you.

I know your not one to hide your fellings.

I am absolutely astonished that this is happening I don't see why it should be allowed its almost like having a national and mixing in a schoolboy route, most strange, in fact I could be wrong but wouldn't Smage be riding the pro clas (on junior route) on a 290 in an FIM sanctioned event? Definately not picking on patrick but first anomoly I could think of.

FIM say no patrick you are too young to ride a 125 in our event but the AMA say yes youcan on the harder route and on a 290, bizarre. What also would the WTC junior or youth boys feel if they were delayed by non champ riders? Or the sections were deteriorating by over riding, I think its a can of worms and would like to know if its been sanctioned officially.

Do I understand correctly the US will have a pro class on the same days as the WTC just on the junior line?

Yes, you are correct Dabster.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7492

Next to the last entry (right now) on this thread.

Nigel, now you are beginning to understand the sillyness I've got to put up with here in the USA. Unless your here to see it first hand it's really hard to understand how out of step American trials is under the NATC banner with the rest of the world.

Yes, young Patrick will be on the harder Jr world round line on a 290cc bike. When the FIM feels he to young to be on a 125cc bike on the easier line! Not by his choice but by NATC decree! So don't hold Patrick or his handlers accountable for this situation, he'd rather be in with the 125cc world round riders.

Clive, this would have been my year to ride the NATC 55 year old class at the US national championship. At least that was my plan until I was banned from competing by the NATC in the Pro class last year. Didn't this used to be a free country? Hey, they hurt my feelings!

Last year was my planned Pro class year to compete. I would have finished 7th overall in the USA Pro championship! If I had not been banned by the NATC from competing, not bad for a 54 year old man riding with the US's best riders. I guess it was just to much for the NATC to see an old guy finish so high in their important US national Pro championship.

No worries for me about being beat by a girl on the US Pro/Jr world championship line. I know she can kick my rear, now Geoff, Chris and the NATC have to worry about being beat by a girl and man will it be fun to watch!

Remember, I'm retired by choice from the age championship and banned from NATC Pro trials. They can take their age class championships and stick it for all I care, all 17 age groups and classes. They didn't provide a fun product for me, So why return to their events? Why be abused even more by the NATC?

The NATC has lost touch for sure, they have forgotten that the riders are the customers! They need to remember the customers/riders come first!

When they give customers/riders a hard time like they did me or fail to provide a fun product they will not have a good rider turnout in the future. Bike sales will fall, national entry levels will drop and both the NATC and the importers will have to get by with a smaller working budgit.

Maybe that's what the NATC wants? A smaller sport with a tighter budgit for both the NATC and the businesses that serve the sport!

That way the old guys running the NATC can have their 17 plus age classes, keeping the US Pro riders to a minimum number. So that the 45-70 year old national riders can continue to compete NATC nationals as importer sponsored rides in the US championship. I bet we are the only nation in the world to have 65 year old works riders? Nigel, do you guys have sponsored riders 50 plus years old?

Simply, if US trials moved to a world class standard, the old guys running the NATC would lose their importer sponsorships to the US age group national championship. These old guys didn't ride well enough when they were in their teens or early 20s for factory or importer support. But now as old men they get that factory or importer support because of the NATC 17 class age group foremat!

We are the only nation on the planet with grey bearded works riders and these old guys run the national organizing body. What this means is they will do anything to protect their importer team position, even at the expense of the young up and coming riders who might someday be the next US world champion.

Clive, this would have been my year to ride the NATC 55 year old class at the US national championship. At least that was my plan until I was banned from competing by the NATC in the Pro class last year. Didn't this used to be a free country? Hey, they hurt my feelings!

Last year was my planned Pro class year to compete. I would have finished 7th overall in the USA Pro championship! If I had not been banned by the NATC from competing, not bad for a 54 year old man riding with the US's best riders. I guess it was just to much for the NATC to see an old guy finish so high in their important US national Pro championship.

No worries for me about being beat by a girl on the US Pro/Jr world championship line. I know she can kick my rear, now Geoff, Chris and the NATC have to worry about being beat by a girl and man will it be fun to watch!

Remember, I'm retired by choice from the age championship and banned from NATC Pro trials. They can take their age class championships and stick it for all I care, all 17 age groups and classes. They didn't provide a fun product for me, So why return to their events? Why be abused even more by the NATC?

The NATC has lost touch for sure, they have forgotten that the riders are the customers! They need to remember the customers/riders come first!

When they give customers/riders a hard time like they did me or fail to provide a fun product they will not have a good rider turnout in the future. Bike sales will fall, national entry levels will drop and both the NATC and the importers will have to get by with a smaller working budgit.

Maybe that's what the NATC wants? A smaller sport with a tighter budgit for both the NATC and the businesses that serve the sport!

That way the old guys running the NATC can have their 17 plus age classes, keeping the US Pro riders to a minimum number. So that the 45-70 year old national riders can continue to compete NATC nationals as importer sponsored rides in the US championship. I bet we are the only nation in the world to have 65 year old works riders? Nigel, do you guys have sponsored riders 50 plus years old?

Simply, if US trials moved to a world class standard, the old guys running the NATC would lose their importer sponsorships to the US age group national championship. These old guys didn't ride well enough when they were in their teens or early 20s for factory or importer support. But now as old men they get that factory or importer support because of the NATC 17 class age group foremat!

We are the only nation on the planet with grey bearded works riders and these old guys run the national organizing body. What this means is they will do anything to protect their importer team position, even at the expense of the young up and coming riders who might someday be the next US world champion.

My question Lane!! if the current people who are the NATC, that is!! all the US importers, top pro riders and the national event organisers, are not up to the task, [which I think they are] then who should be doing the job?

Lane - If you sat down and talked with all of the trials bike importers in the US you will find that most of them don't feel that the national series has any effect on the sales of new bikes. There also is no payback to the importers from pro rider sponsorship. So my feeling is that if the US national series disappeared totally trials bike sales would not be effected at all. Like it or not sales volume is more correlative to the World Series.

;)

Banned from competeing huh? While I may not know your point in doing so, it seems that its a pitiful attempt to promote onesself and make fun of the only body thats been holding american trials together for any signifcant amount of time. Our organization had someone like you riding champ class, when it was obvious they could barely do intermediate. Everyone thinks lesser of you for it and I don't see what personal satisfaction there is to be had. Do you want hordes of riders in the top classes like over in europe or something? Is anything sacred anymore?

I bet that US National championship meant a lot to you back in the day then didnt it? Back in the day, but now you see fit to interfere with the reputations of natc, american trials, and so on... ;)

No worries for me about being beat by a girl on the US Pro/Jr world championship line.
wow :D
now Geoff, Chris and the NATC have to worry about being beat by a girl and man will it be fun to watch!

I don't see what the big deal is, she will probably be right up mixin it up with them. So what if she beats them? You seem to be laughing at our riders while wanting to desperatly help them. You've got to realize she has been riding the tougher lines for a longer/more intense period of time and our pro guys haven't. Maybe the pro guys are not getting challenged because we have to accomadate you on the pro line? While Geoff is the top rider, I don't see what the big deal is when getting beat by a girl. He's juggling making a living, riding, having fun, and is still on top. She has been doing what? Probably practicing, riding, and more riding. Either way, you also seem to hold some sexist views at the same time by inferring that an inferior girl such as Laia Sanz beating Geoff would emasculate Geoff and show him to be a fool or not a man/trials rider. You seem to not think that Laia could be an equal of sorts. Its a new age of trials and its one to be embraced.

Lane, NATC is running a business so you accomadate the best/largest customer group. The rest just have to live with it/through it and make the best of it. I don't think you'll be seeing major changes anytime soon.

I find this kind of ridiculous that every topic involving or replied to by michlin ends up turning into a NATC bashing, sherco rider praising, criticism of current riders/policies, levitt promoting revolution of michlin's making. :blink:

Edited by Dman