Husband and wife trying to get started

Trials4Wulf

Your dilemma is not dissimilar to the one I faced with my son.  The not knowing if he'd like it, figuring out what to buy and as you say, the strong used values at the moment.

After going around in circles for a while, I received some advice on here and made a kind of plan.  I'm heavier than you and been having lessons on a Beta Evo 125.  My son isn't tall enough yet for a 125, but had he been, I'd have gotten us a new 125 to share between us, no question about it.  Reasoning as follows based on reading and taking advice from kind folks here and elsewhere:

125 has plenty of power for the majority of beginners to learn trials, even *ahem* heavier ones, like me.

Residuals were so strong as to make the purchase of a used 125 almost pointless, particularly when you consider they are often used by beginners, or teens for racing the upper junior classes.  Who knows if the bike has been abused or what state the transmission is in?  I didn't feel confident enough to be a good judge of condition.

The history of a used bike can be difficult to verify.

Availability on used 125 bikes was poor locally.  I found a couple far away, meaning a long journey and little come back on the purchase in the event of a problem.  I also figure I need dealer support until I get used to things.

It was unlikely we would be riding at the same time, as I'm going to be walking alongside my son (almost total novice) for safetys sake.  This made sharing a bike a reasonable proposition, at least for a while, by which time we'd know if we liked it or not.

The plan was, after we'd passed that stage, I'd give my son the 125 to use permanently and buy a 250 for myself.

It didn't happen like this, as we've had to go the Beta 80 route due to size and as there were almost no 125's locally, I ended up with a 250.  Not sure how it will pan out yet, but hopefully it will be OK.  I'm used to big bikes, but trials is a totally different animal.  If you can get some lessons, I'd recommend it based on my experiences so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 9:47 PM, Trials4Wulf said:

That's one of the bikes I've been looking for to teach her on.

New riders get too frustrated in the first few months or so just trying to kick start the bikes since they regularly stall them. Eliminating one of the early frustrations helps them get over the hump in the learning stage and you have much better success.

Joe

• Like 1

No riding above that point. We stay mainly in the arroyos riding solid sandstone in the canyons. This is BLM land that we have had designated a trials only area since 1978. Of course its open to the public. Hikers and mountain bikers are always amazed at how clean and beautiful we keep it.

Almost a square mile of trials paradise.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hunting around, and I've found a bike I'm interested in. 

KLX140 for the wife to learn on, I'll worry about a trials bike for her later.

I found a 2014 GASGAS TXT250 Raga for $4,000, Any thoughts on that?

The 2008 Sherco 290 is still available for $3,500, I could probably get it for $3,000 at least, if not 2,500. 

With any trials bike more than 1 year old the condition is more important than the fine details (apart from some specific model/years that have had known problems).

Avoid the Sherco 290, that is not a good bike to learn trials on - there's a big difference between the 250s and the larger bikes.

The KLX, if it's in good condition, is a solid choice for learning on ... heck, for trail riding it's a good choice for physically small riders full stop.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trials4Wulf said:

I've been hunting around, and I've found a bike I'm interested in. 

KLX140 for the wife to learn on, I'll worry about a trials bike for her later.

I found a 2014 GASGAS TXT250 Raga for $4,000, Any thoughts on that?

The 2008 Sherco 290 is still available for $3,500, I could probably get it for $3,000 at least, if not 2,500. 

I really enjoy my 2012 GasGas 280 Raga, has been dependable and am still getting parts easily.  I paid $4500 CAD 3 years ago. Once you figure out how to start it you will enjoy it. 

36 minutes ago, Glayne said:

I really enjoy my 2012 GasGas 280 Raga, has been dependable and am still getting parts easily.  I paid $4500 CAD 3 years ago. Once you figure out how to start it you will enjoy it. 

What's the secret to starting it?

Get the kick start to engage and give it a *sharp-fast-kick*

There is lots of talk out there of putting it in gear, rolling it backwards in 2nd gear then pulling clutch and kicking which also works.

For me it is just making sure the kick start is engaged to prevent damage to the "Bart Simpson" gear and giving a *sharp-fast-kick* 

I richened the pilot circuit one jet size, not sure if that helped but my bike will start from cold in 3 kicks, warm 1 kick always. I just have to put the effort in, if I give it a half ass kick I get half ass results!

Some people do struggle with the Gasgas starting, there is likely 100 threads on here about it.

The "secret to starting" is usually to have a bike that's in good working order, lol ... other than that as Glayne says, on a modern 2 stroke, get the lever to where it feels like the gear is engaged (a little resistance) and then kick it quickly.

Lots of people complain about a particular bike being hard to start, most of the time it's because their bike is out of tune.  My Gasgas' (I've had 3 of different sorts) always started second or third kick from cold once I got them properly fixed.

• Like 1

Well, the 2014 GAS GAS TXT250 Raga is firm at $3,500. I'm leaning towards waiting to see what else I can find, even if it takes a few months. What do you guys think, is that a good deal for the PNW USA?

344850747_1368506643932075_5888587862600795114_n.jpg

345239724_782055696618891_4428052391868898360_n.jpg

345044718_755619339554151_971783087607352482_n.jpg

345200893_952579179212873_1451577219188251224_n.jpg

344883581_889780308785152_2686083037844309622_n.jpg

Edited by Trials4Wulf

I wish I could read the mfg date on that rear tire? Maybe you can by zooming in on the original pic, could be an original tire showing it's lack of use. Very similar price that I paid for a very similar bike. Everything I see looks original except maybe pegs and shifter, someone has cut down the levers as well. I don't even see boot wear on the frame stickers, much less visible wear than mine! I don't know that I have ever seen pillow top grips on a trials bike, look out of place.