Anyone got any 1986 Scottish 6 day photos?

dirtydalesman

31 minutes ago, johnnyboxer said:

He was indeed. My dad bought the bike from him probably the following year.

• Like 1

There was a chance I had a photo of Chris from 1986, but as one of my lockdown jobs had been to sort out my trials photos, including those from the SSDT, it was not a long job to confirm I did not. In 1986 I was a few numbers behind Chris so it was possible one of the family had also taken a photo of Chris. Chris and I started schoolboy trials together and in the early days travelled together with one or other, or both of our fathers. We were taken to Scotland for the SSDT twice to spectate before either of us was old enough to ride.

There is a photo of Chris on this bike on page 92 of Tommy Sandham's and John Dickinson's book, "The Scottish 1963-1989", this is taken on the Sunday in the queue for the weigh-in.

The interesting point about SSDT numbers is when the rider had to supply them they had to be metallic and there had to be three of them, when they were supplied by the club with a sponsors name, there was only one and it was plastic,  I think the club started supplying numbers in 1987 or 1988.

There are several possible explanations for the number 77, it could be from a different event like the Manx or the Scott, I think the most likely is the number plate had previously been used by Chris in the 1981 SSDT, when he was number 77.

The last time I saw Chris was in the late 1990's when I called in at one of the shops that was run by his family business, Chris subsequently moved to Spain where other riders who have travelled to Spain to compete have said they have met him. 

Not a photo but it might be of interest

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, not ron said:

There was a chance I had a photo of Chris from 1986, but as one of my lockdown jobs had been to sort out my trials photos, including those from the SSDT, it was not a long job to confirm I did not. In 1986 I was a few numbers behind Chris so it was possible one of the family had also taken a photo of Chris. Chris and I started schoolboy trials together and in the early days travelled together with one or other, or both of our fathers. We were taken to Scotland for the SSDT twice to spectate before either of us was old enough to ride.

There is a photo of Chris on this bike on page 92 of Tommy Sandham's and John Dickinson's book, "The Scottish 1963-1989", this is taken on the Sunday in the queue for the weigh-in.

The interesting point about SSDT numbers is when the rider had to supply them they had to be metallic and there had to be three of them, when they were supplied by the club with a sponsors name, there was only one and it was plastic,  I think the club started supplying numbers in 1987 or 1988.

There are several possible explanations for the number 77, it could be from a different event like the Manx or the Scott, I think the most likely is the number plate had previously been used by Chris in the 1981 SSDT, when he was number 77.

The last time I saw Chris was in the late 1990's when I called in at one of the shops that was run by his family business, Chris subsequently moved to Spain where other riders who have travelled to Spain to compete have said they have met him. 

That's lovely information, thanks for that! 

2 hours ago, not ron said:

I don't suppose you could take a picture of the picture for me? I can't find that book available anywhere.