Fantic 300 1984 woodruff key searing

benborisjamimajess

Theoretically the woodruff key should not take any load from the engine at all, it only locates the flywheel correctly for timing purposes.
I would be investigating the torque you are using to retain the flywheel onto the tapered fit.
Also worth checking the tapered fit itself and maybe lapping it to correct if the fit/surface is poor.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kurtas said:

Theoretically the woodruff key should not take any load from the engine at all, it only locates the flywheel correctly for timing purposes.
I would be investigating the torque you are using to retain the flywheel onto the tapered fit.
Also worth checking the tapered fit itself and maybe lapping it to correct if the fit/surface is poor.

Hooray, for once a correct and sensible answer on here! Take note especially of the last sentence.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, benborisjamimajess said:

Hi, so my fantic 300 1984 has been shearing woodruff keys not that often but a couple of times?? I used to have a 200 that did it a few times over a few years. Is this just a fantic thing of is there something else going on?? Thanks 

Make sure you give it the answer its hoping for, otherwise it has a hissie fit. 

On 5/15/2023 at 11:39 PM, kurtas said:

Also worth checking the tapered fit itself and maybe lapping it to correct if the fit/surface is poor

Any idea what sort of torque on flywheel nut?? 

1 hour ago, hero said:

My 1986 241 has sheared its woodruff key and the flywheel is now jammed on the shaft

Ive broken a puller trying to remove it

Any ideas on getting the flywheel off?

Tighten up the puller until it's tight then give the end of the puller a sharp but not to hevey hit with a hammer, may as well put a little bit of heat on flywheel near to shaft aswell

I've tried both those methods... a bit wary of too much heat with the electrics so close behind the flywheel

I'm assuming the key sheared and the flywheel continued moved round the shaft dragging what's left of the key with it.

The bike was running  (after 20+ years in a shed) then suddenly stopped

Now it just kicks back through the kickstart

So i'm left with maybe a makeshift attachment for a half shaft puller?

Or cut the flywheel off - if thats possible?

But i'm open to other suggestions