Gunk in float bowl - normal or excessive?

lowside

Hello all,

After washing the bike I went to take the float bowl drain plug out to make sure no water had found its way in.  The fuel inside had quite a lot of crud in it.  There is no inline fuel filter on my bike and the fuel hose, whilst Sherco branded, wasn't clipped but was incredibly tight fitting.  Had to cut it off.  I guess I'd need a longer one for an inline filter anyway.

Is this typical for a float bowl? 

The bike is only a year old.  I am starting to think it's never been properly cleaned or maintained.  Engine inlet manifold (correct name?) from carb was mucky and tight fitting, don't think it's ever been off.  Original air filter was dry as a bone and then degraded from gentle squeezing during cleaning.  Air box was full of muck and dust.  Rear linkages are going to be next, look so dry.  I think I'm going to do wheel bearings too just to be sure.

Overall, the bike looks like it's been repeatedly washed with something really harsh like Muc Off and not regreased afterwards or had anything other than cursory maintenance, then it's been traded after a year and here I am with it.

A lot of tinkering and not much riding so far, but it's a great way to get to know how a bike works in detail.  Never done my own motobike servicing before and this is my first offroad bike, so a lot to learn.  Luckily I do have experience of MTB's, and theres some overlap.

Not what I wanted to find on my first carb removal, but glad I did it.  No use putting a fresh air filter in then running a carb like this.

Cheers

20230531_204212.jpg

56 minutes ago, Glayne said:

Definitely excessive, I'd rather find it in the float bowl than many other places though!

Thanks, thats kind of what I thought.  I'm going to see what a strong magnet picks up tomorrow as I saved the contents.

I'm starting to flirt with the idea of the bike needing an engine rebuild, or at least a full check over.  I just can't believe it wasn't serviced at all prior to sale.  The air filter being bone dry was a dead giveaway, as was the airbox contents and all the crud around the rubber intake manifolds.

I am pretty disappointed with the dealer as things stand.

Fair enough to be disappointed, but it seems like you're on your way to having it sorted, and getting a feeling for the bike along the way! 

I like *most* wrenching way more than I like the inside of my house or my T.V.

As well as the suspension linkages, I can recommend you also service the swingarm pivot and steering head bearings. I hope you get to them in time before corrosion occurs.

I bought a one year old bike a while back and found that all the rolling element chassis bearings had corrosion happening due to lack of any protective lubricant being applied when originally assembled. It seems that very little attention is given to lubing those parts during assembly on some new bikes. Sealed wheel bearings at least are usually greased by the bearing manufacturer and last longer before failing.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lowside said:

Thanks, thats kind of what I thought.  I'm going to see what a strong magnet picks up tomorrow as I saved the contents.

I'm starting to flirt with the idea of the bike needing an engine rebuild, or at least a full check over.  I just can't believe it wasn't serviced at all prior to sale.  The air filter being bone dry was a dead giveaway, as was the airbox contents and all the crud around the rubber intake manifolds.

I am pretty disappointed with the dealer as things stand.

GET ON AND RIDE THE BLOODY THING!

If it's serviced and runs, I'm with StPauls with this one, get on the bike!  Most problems can be found by using the machine, and it's entirely possible to spend all one's time just messing about.

I have absolutely zero surprise a dealer sold a second-hand bike without it being serviced.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, turbofurball said:

If it's serviced and runs, I'm with StPauls with this one, get on the bike!  Most problems can be found by using the machine, and it's entirely possible to spend all one's time just messing about.

I have absolutely zero surprise a dealer sold a second-hand bike without it being serviced.

Cheers.  I've ridden it for about 5 hours so far.

It doesn't run particularly well.  It's been struggling in 3 and 4th and stalls intermittently when idling in gear.  Hoping the carb clean will sort that but it's as much about getting to know the bike at the same time really.

• Like 1

That does sound like the kind of problems a good carb clean will sort, it's definitely worth fitting a carb service kit at the same time, then once it's dialled in you won't have to touch it again in a long while (assuming the bikes getting used ;) )

• Like 1