First Trials bike - Which one ?

Imawombat

So I'm thinking about getting a Trials bike , I've been off bikes for around 4 years previous to that was 15 years on Adv bikes mostly off road and I live in OZ , my early years I raced Mx , Enduro & desert ,  I'm 62 yo and have been hiking seriously for the past 4 years but I'm starting to wear my knees out hence the reason to go back to bikes  .  But I'm interested in possibly riding a trials bike where I used to hike off track up steep hills over rocks , fallen trees through creeks etc etc following dear tracks and finding wombats 😀 🐾 I do like looking for snakes too 🐍

I just started recently looking and came across a Montesa 4 RT which looks good but I just read the oil maintenance intervals are like 10 hours inc filter , this is really not what I'm after I'd prefer if possible low $ cost running higher maintenance Intervals as the day's working on bikes a lot is not what I'm looking for . Is this the case with all modern Trials bikes like enduro bikes now ? Is there a brand that's better ? Or should I consider an older classic likes of a Ty Yamaha or Honda ? I also used to own lots of Bultaco's back in the day and thought maybe a Sherpa is the go ? 

The other thing I noticed is the small fuel volume , I did ask someone re the Montesa & they said riding time around 1.5 hrs is that the case with most now ? Where I live is close to a lot of forest I could spend all day & days out there .

I'm not looking to compete I don't think or even join a club , my local trials club track is further away than the forest . Pretty much like to hide in the bush observing animals .

So which would be better , Beta , Montesa , Gas gas or Sherco and I was thinking a 200 - 300 cc and used for my first bike around 2000 onwards unless I go Vintage ?  

All the modern ones have small tanks standard but there are auxiliary tanks available (called long ride kit) that fit in the dip and have a bum rest on top. Standard tanks on some modern  bikes need to be topped up during a one day trial.

If your knees are really crook there are electric start kits available for some brands.

There are proper electric trials bikes that run for ages on a charge and are great for stealth riding.

Of course twinshocks have a huge fuel range and can be ridden sitting down and are very low maintenance. Bultaco and Montesa twinshocks can be very quiet. TLR200 Honda is exceptionally good for doing what you've described.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The above post is correct.  You can get more fuel with the versions of trials bikes that are designed for general off road riding.  The more you want to entertain yourself with the bike the more fuel you need, the more you want to watch wildlife the more you need a quiet bike.  I agree with the above that the electric bikes would be very useful for a "stealth" mode to observe wildlife.  More of a pain if you run out of battery than run out of petrol of course.

You are looking at two different needs and you will not find anything that does both well, just a bike that 'sort of' does both but is not good at either.

I have just bought an electric bike for the wife and if you do not ride it hard or fast the battery life is very impressive.  They (Electric Motion) do a version with a seat (and larger battery).  If you keep the speed down it makes very very little noise at all.  https://www.electric-motion.fr/en/models/escape

Not cheap though.

Any modern trials bike will be great fun.  You probably need to take some spare fuel in a can and refill it if you are riding any length of time.  Depending on how young and fit you are your body will give up before the fuel runs out ☺️  (Mine does)

Look at smaller engined bikes too.  My 250 is a lot easier of fuel than my old 280.  The 125cc machines would be better and are more than enough to just have fun on.

3 hours ago, Imawombat said:

... Montesa 4 RT which looks good but I just read the oil maintenance intervals are like 10 hours inc filter , this is really not what I'm after I'd prefer if possible low $ cost running higher maintenance Intervals as the day's working on bikes a lot is not what I'm looking for ....

You would need to change oil in a 4RT that frequently if you were Toni Bou and somebody else was paying for everything, otherwise; 4RT would be an excellent choice for you and will not require any more maintenance then any other trials bike.  Oil capacity is only half a litre of engine oil plus half a litre of transmission oil separate, the oil filter is commonly available and inexpensive.  Montesa is a sturdy built machine with very few shortcomings, they handle very subtle and grounded compared to many 2-stroke competitive machines, they have an incredibly wide power band that is very old guy friendly (I have 7 years on you)  Montesa being 4-stoke consumes less fuel, doesn't require pre-mix and is happy to perform on lower octane fuel.  Trials bikes are quiet enough to sneak up on wildlife, we do that every day and see lots of Deer, Bobcats, Moose and everything else on a regular basis.  You can get an extra fuel tank that mounts behind your number plate if you need greater range.  Trials bikes were more expensive then Enduro bikes and Trials bike parts more expensive, but based on riders here the Enduro bikes drop a lot more money over the course of a season because they crash and break far more frequently.  Modern bikes are far lighter then twin-shock vintage models and won't bruise your legs near as bad when they do fall on you, once you are accustom to riding the modern rides are far easier to survive on and well worth the extra investment. Any version of the 4RT is Highly recommended for your planned use 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Imawombat said:

...  I'm not looking to compete I don't think or even join a club , my local trials club track is further away than the forest . ...

I bet if you went over there and introduced yourself, somebody would let you try their Montesa or maybe anything else!  The clubs and social aspects of riding trials bikes are well worth the effort.  Following better riders is what will make you a better rider.

• Like 3

Agree with Lemur on the oil change front. It’s a bit of a fiddle to do but definitely not every 10 hours with what you’re planning. 4RT is a really well made bike and pretty quiet chugging along trails (until you wind it up…!!!). Good luck!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Imawombat said:

... riding a trials bike where I used to hike off track up steep hills over rocks , fallen trees through creeks etc etc following dear tracks and finding wombats 😀 🐾 I do like looking for snakes too 🐍

curious, what do you do with a Wombat, sell it to zoo's ?

My GasGas does not go far on fuel, far enough but I have to pack some for an extra reserve because the reserve does not go far either.

I see you mentioned some brands but have you looked at a TRS X Track? I bet that is the bike for you...

• Thanks 1

TRS 300RR  is my other ride, fuel consumption is considerable, manual calls for 98 octane fuel + 1% 2-stroke oil, x-trac version is the same bike with a bigger tank.

Great bike for competition; extremely spirited handling, tons of power down low in the revs and launches strong in 3rd and even 4th from a dead stop, being a 2-stroke it reaches max rpm rapidly.

7 hours ago, Imawombat said:

I enquired about a used Sherco Yesterday re the fuel consumpion time , it was over 200 cc , they replied over 3 hours to a std tank  , does that sound right ? 

It's so variable depending on the sort of riding in the three hours, but if that figure is for riding in a competition trial with a short loop and queues at most sections then it sound about right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Normal long day ride for me is near 2 tanks full, tank is roughly 2 litres.   

Montesa/Honda engine is fuel injected so I don't let the fuel tank go empty, fuel is the only thing that cools the fuel pump.

• Like 2