1999 Bultaco Sherco 2.5 fan not working

Ian589

I've got a old 1999 Bultaco Sherco 2.5 not been used in a few years but the fan doesn't seem to cut in.

I've tested the fan separately and know that that works, I've also bypassed the temperature sensor but still the fan doesn't work.

Apart from the fan not working everything else seems fine, although a little difficult to start (it's a Sherco so expected) it runs fine.

Any help appreciated.

Ian.

Service manual shows the fan is controlled by the CDI unit and they detail how to meter test the thermostat in hot water.  

On my 315 Cota the fan would kick on in the middle of a section and the idle would drop enough to risk stalling, so I put a bypass toggle switch on the fan circuit and that was handy.  Better to have too much air movement then not enough.

I always start trouble-shooting electric problems at the source, so meter test of the alternator windings is the best place to start, also detailed in the service manual.

30 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

Mí amigo, none of those are for a 1999 bike

How much do you figure has changed?  We are talking about trouble-shooting one of the most simple electrical systems in existence.  If you were ordering parts it might make a difference but a thermostat control on a fan is as basic as it gets, it's just a switch that turns on when you heat a sensor, if you don't trust the thermostat you can bypass it with a toggle switch.  If bypassing the switch doesn't work then he has a problem with power generation and the test procedure for an alternator, rectifier and regulator is unchanged.

Edited by lemur
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 10:39 PM, Ian589 said:

I've got a old 1999 Bultaco Sherco 2.5 not been used in a few years but the fan doesn't seem to cut in.

I've tested the fan separately and know that that works, I've also bypassed the temperature sensor but still the fan doesn't work.

Apart from the fan not working everything else seems fine, although a little difficult to start (it's a Sherco so expected) it runs fine.

Any help appreciated.

Ian.

When you say you've bypassed the thermoswitch did you do that with a short piece of wire with 2 spade terminals plugged in place of it? That will tell you if there is power when the motor is running, I still carry 1 of those in my spares as insurance

Your problem is possibly the rectifier for the fan which is 1 of the 2 small pieces up in the steering head

Splat Shop - Sherco Radiator Fan Rectifier

On 8/14/2023 at 4:40 PM, lemur said:

How much do you figure has changed?  We are talking about trouble-shooting one of the most simple electrical systems in existence.  If you were ordering parts it might make a difference but a thermostat control on a fan is as basic as it gets, it's just a switch that turns on when you heat a sensor, if you don't trust the thermostat you can bypass it with a toggle switch.  If bypassing the switch doesn't work then he has a problem with power generation and the test procedure for an alternator, rectifier and regulator is unchanged.

You mentioned above that there is fan controller in the CDI unit, which may well be different for an older and far more basic bike

On 8/16/2023 at 4:30 AM, turbofurball said:

You mentioned above that there is fan controller in the CDI unit, which may well be different for an older and far more basic bike

Indeed, his is even more simple, it has fewer parts by one and one less component connection to be concerned about.   The fan and its power requirements are virtually the same.

• 3 weeks later...

4 minutes ago, Ian589 said:

Am I right in assuming if the bike starts OK this means that the stator/alternator is not the problem?

It's a good indication yes, unless you need additional power for lights or batteries.  Very encouraging, that's where the fan comes in because there can be and are often separate coils dedicated for that. 

Edited by lemur

Do you have roughly 12 volts DC at the fan thermostat input?  If not check the rectifier/regulator for AC input and DC output.

... I assume you have a multi-meter or improvised test light

Edited by lemur