2023 Gas Gas TXT 300

Butch

28 minutes ago, Butch said:

I think we're all old guys lol. You still do competition? That's pretty damn cool! That's a serious relief to know the you can slide the transfer out of there. Case splitting is a pretty big deal. Well it was for me anyway. That's mighty nice of them to spare us that fun. I had no idea you could slide that out of there. Where can you buy service manuals for these bikes? I have the print version owners manual but the only service manual I can find is a download. I'd prefer print. Do you know of a source to give those? That's cool that you compete. Williamsport PA is the only club I know of and that's hours from me. I wouldn't just like to go watch those guys 

Yeah, I started trials in 1972  I could still ride expert if It did not hurt so much the next day!  I turn 64 next week. My son rides very well. He rode his first event on a gas poweted bike at 30 months old. Lol. I have two grandsons that ride. 14 and 15. Hopefully I will see my great grabdson ride too.

• Like 2

Regarding the "Rock & Roll-back to find BDC" method to start.   Aside from it being inconvenient/impossible in many off-road situations, is it any worse for the kick mechanism than any other method?  Since I'm applying far less force upon the lever and internals, wouldn't that result in less stress on the Bart gear and associated internals?   This is a sincere question.   Is there harm that can be done with this method?

I've worked on a pit bike with high comp motor where the owner broke the kick lever and internals from kicking it with so much force at the wrong point BTDC.    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lineaway said:

Yeah, I started trials in 1972  I could still ride expert if It did not hurt so much the next day!  I turn 64 next week. My son rides very well. He rode his first event on a gas poweted bike at 30 months old. Lol. I have two grandsons that ride. 14 and 15. Hopefully I will see my great grabdson ride too.

Ahhh Lineaway, you are still a kid!  🙂  I turn 76 in early November.  I retired from road racing in 2005.  I discovered when I came off the bike I no longer bounced....  I splatted.  lol  BTW, as you get older, it doesn't get better.  I understand about the aches and pains.  I am too old to compete in Trials but really enjoy putting around on it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Scottro said:

Regarding the "Rock & Roll-back to find BDC" method to start.   Aside from it being inconvenient/impossible in many off-road situations, is it any worse for the kick mechanism than any other method?  Since I'm applying far less force upon the lever and internals, wouldn't that result in less stress on the Bart gear and associated internals?   This is a sincere question.   Is there harm that can be done with this method?

I've worked on a pit bike with high comp motor where the owner broke the kick lever and internals from kicking it with so much force at the wrong point BTDC.    

It's more to do with the gear being engaged before kicking. The older models the bart gear would chip a small piece off move through the idler gear to the primary gear and get imbedded. Then the bike would sound like the rod was knocking. You had to take a nagnifying glass and inspect the large gear on the clutch basket tooth by tooth to find it.

I also witness a friend get his score card at a national and break the clutch cover with one good kick. Fortunatly the U.S. importer was standing there to. He pulled out a new cover and seals. We got the bike going in 45 minutes.

• Like 2

We are the kick starter mechanism testers for the 2023 lol. Like you Scottro, I worry about that too but since lineaway said we don't have to split cases to repair it, it's a little less worrysome I guess. I keep reading and seeing on videos that something was changed on the 23 models ( even on the Gas Gas website) it's mentions that but nobody really explains what is different. I found a video of a European guy doing a test on a new one and he even mentions it. I always enjoyed doing my own work over the years ( only on 2 strokes) but I always hated having to get down in those cases. Captain Bob, you are only as old as you act and feel and I would put you around 44 years old lol! Seriously. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lineaway said:

Like I said hardly anyone has the ktm made gassers, so time will tell.

Couple of our top riders are riding GasGas sponsored bikes here, they don't ride the old ones so yep time will tell, if it can be broken I'll get to see it, probably have to collect up the broken pieces too.  Trials bikes are nothing compared to Enduro bikes for parts being broken, those things go through parts and tires like crazy, Trials bikes are amazing at surviving crashes and far less dangerous to be on or around.

• Like 1

Definitely, those top riders will find the weak parts that's for sure. I bought this one because it's all that was available within 300 miles honestly. I have not had any preference of one over the other really. This KTM dealer is 15 miles away so I figured grab it. I'd there's a next bike for me I will probably take the road trip. I'm like Captain Bob, I'm not nor will I ever be an actual trials rider. I just love the characteristics of the bikes. Slow, really light, nice for dense woods riding. Relatively easier to work on, I guess. I've always liked them since the 70s so many people rode those here. When I had the Montesa, I was riding a tight trail (alone) probably about 2 miles from civilization and rode up on what I thought was a big black dog. Turned out to be a bear cub and mama was close by watching me. Standing there on that bike trying to go as fast as I could with my butt cheeks puckered up hoping I wouldn't be dinner that night lol. I didn't even look back just kept going as fast as I could. I will never forget that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lineaway said:

It's more to do with the gear being engaged before kicking.

Yep.  It was only after watching friends spastically kick at my bike that I realized how this could happen.  The sound made me cringe...  DO NOT start you full speed kick from the vertical 12 o'clock position.  First, take up that 10-15* or so degrees of rotation until you feel engagement/pressure/resistance, then kick from this point.  Nothing to worry about if you follow this guideline. 

I own a 20' TXT250.

Edited by manwithgun
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Butch said:

We are the kick starter mechanism testers for the 2023 lol. Like you Scottro, I worry about that too but since lineaway said we don't have to split cases to repair it, it's a little less worrysome I guess. I keep reading and seeing on videos that something was changed on the 23 models ( even on the Gas Gas website) it's mentions that but nobody really explains what is different. I found a video of a European guy doing a test on a new one and he even mentions it. I always enjoyed doing my own work over the years ( only on 2 strokes) but I always hated having to get down in those cases. Captain Bob, you are only as old as you act and feel and I would put you around 44 years old lol! Seriously. 

If only I were that old!  😆

• Haha 1