Half Helmet?

ERW

Would a "half" helmet be accepted at a trials competition. The kind that just cover the top of your head. I use one for practice and really like it. It is DOT approved. I'll be riding in the lowest skilled sportsman class.

Not in any FIM sanctioned events, you need an open face helmet at least for those.  DOT approval is not a good guide to protection but if you're in the US check with the club running the event, because there's a chance you live in a state where you're free to have a traumatic brain injury and then go bankrupt.

Personally, I ride where there's a lot of jagged rocks and so only ever use a full face enduro ECE approved helmet because I fall off a lot and I like my teeth.

In Australia, riding Motorcycling Australia sanctioned trials competition events, helmets are required to meet the same standards acceptable for on-road motorcycle riding, which in Australia includes helmets made to European standards, Australian standards and the popular USA standards Snell and DOT.

There are helmets available that sit on the top of your head that are legal on Australian roads and they would therefore be legal for use in MA trials competition. Here is an example of such a helmet

https://www.easyr.com.au/m2r-rebel-shorty-helmet-w-quick-release-matte-blac

I wear a normal trials competition helmet because I think they are a good balance of protection vs comfort vs ergonomics.

Edited by feetupfun

In Canada there is no such thing as an FIM or a CMA official so the rules are up to the event organizer to enforce, which doesn't happen because we never have the support to do enforcement, what we do have is the 'I'm not your mommy waiver form' 

Half helmet would likely draw considerable peer pressure in the form of other riders asking 'what's that thing on your head, are you nuts?'

I seem to remember a time when Horse riding helmets were briefly a fashion with some trials riders,

but I expect this was when trials had only recently moved on from flat caps & a cigarette being the required safety equipment.

Hm, I remember before helmets were compulsory someone local wearing an ice hockey helmet for its lightness. Hose riding helmet, Mick Andrews? Miners helmet, Martin Lampkin?

Edited by esuark7
grammar?

13 hours ago, djr said:

I seem to remember a time when Horse riding helmets were briefly a fashion with some trials riders,

but I expect this was when trials had only recently moved on from flat caps & a cigarette being the required safety equipment.

Mick Andrews on the first TY used in competition, there's the whole thing on film on Youtoob somewhere ... I grew up wearing those helmets to ride horses in and they provided very little protection!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I got the O.K. from our association president to use my half helmet. I think because I'm riding the easiest sections that may have been a factor in his decision. Thanks for everyone's input.

• Like 1