I'm over biked. Older twin shock?

carlanthony663

I've been playing about on my recently purchased TXT250. After riding a couple of 125s I've realised I am incompetent at trials and I'm performing significantly better on a 125 than my 250 so I've decided to advertise it for a swap.

I have been pondering taking this opportunity to possibly pick up an older twin shock. Maybe a Fantic or Montesa Cota. They're beautiful machines and surprisingly affordable. In my quest for an easier to ride bike, how would an older machine compare to my TXT 250? Whould they have the softer power delivery I'm looking for or would I me having the same issues I am now?

All advice gratefully received!

Cheers!

Friend has a Fantic 200 and the brakes are poor.  This seems to me to be the big problem with old twinshocks.  Power delivery and all that stuff is what it is but having wooden brakes is just too much for me, I wouldn't bother with an old bike as a serious ride (maybe 2nd bike for the odd day, just for fun if you can afford the indulgence).  If you want to improve and end up riding well I would stick to a modern bike.

2 minutes ago, ChrisCH said:

Friend has a Fantic 200 and the brakes are poor.  This seems to me to be the big problem with old twinshocks.  Power delivery and all that stuff is what it is but having wooden brakes is just too much for me, I wouldn't bother with an old bike as a serious ride (maybe 2nd bike for the odd day, just for fun if you can afford the indulgence).  If you want to improve and end up riding well I would stick to a modern bike.

That's exactly the advice I was hoping for, thank you! I thought older drums brakes would be poor but didn't think they'd be too much of an issue at such low speeds. Maybe one day in the future as a treat then. I am hoping to develop some genuine skills in the short term. 

Compared to discs, drums are generally poor, but, usually more than adequate. They do take more maintenance to work at their best. Twin shocks are slightly heavier, but way more fun, IMO. Costa Brava twin shock trial is next weekend, with several hundred entries, worth considering what the appeal is 😎

• Like 2

My mate's Fantic is OK but we did a (nice) section with a stream crossing.  His brakes got soaked and were u/s from that point on.  He packed up and missed the rest of trial.  I think these old bikes are great fun and have a charm, but having paid to ride a trial and got out of bed early on a Sunday and braved the rain and traffic I want to ride not watch other people.  I had an XL250 back in the day and its drum brakes were OK in the dry but you needed to be a bit careful in the wet.  The drum went oval as well so they used to snatch.  Nearly took me off one time.  The bike got stolen so that was the end of that, but if I had kept it I probably would have upgraded to a disc front on a 21" rim to get a better choice of tyres.  Norwich Union gave me 500 quid - it would be worth five grand now.  Humph.  I hate bike thieves.

It's not to hard to dumb down a 250 gasgas. A mate of mine had the same predicament and basically tamed his gasgas by gearing it down, flywheel weight, low compression head, slow throttle and eventually a thicker base gasket. The bike is so easy to ride and still has enough power to ride decent sections. It's also very easy to start and obviously still has great brakes and suspension and is 30kgs lighter than a twinshock. The other late model bike that is easier to ride is the Yamaha engined Scorpa. They are a great bike with a very easy motor to live with. Twinshocks require a decent level of mechanical ability to get them to perform, generally speaking the brakes are average as is the clutch and suspension and you can spend a lot of money on them if you are not careful.

1 minute ago, sherpa325 said:

It's not to hard to dumb down a 250 gasgas. A mate of mine had the same predicament and basically tamed his gasgas by gearing it down, flywheel weight, low compression head, slow throttle and eventually a thicker base gasket. The bike is so easy to ride and still has enough power to ride decent sections. It's also very easy to start and obviously still has great brakes and suspension and is 30kgs lighter than a twinshock. The other late model bike that is easier to ride is the Yamaha engined Scorpa. They are a great bike with a very easy motor to live with. Twinshocks require a decent level of mechanical ability to get them to perform, generally speaking the brakes are average as is the clutch and suspension and you can spend a lot of money on them if you are not careful.

I'm thinking this will be the plan now. I've already heard it down to 10 - 43. Going to put a slow throttle tube on it and definitely a new rear tyre and check the pressures correctly. Had some embarrassing traction issues that I suspect are down to the above and my own lack of talent. 

Would a flywheel weight be an advantage do you think? By boy had a Rev 3 250 that had a very soft power delivery, I believe that is due to a higher weight on the beta flywheel? Happy to give pretty much anything a try. 

Well a Beta 200 is the best selling clubman bike for a reason. I will be buying my grandson`s used Beta Evo 250`s before next season for that reason. The Beta is the most forgiving bike currently made and has been for years. Good luck.  

Edited by lineaway

Just now, lineaway said:

Well a Beta 200 is the best selling clubman bike for a reason.

My boy had a Beta Rev 3 250 we recently traded for a TXT125 for him. Starting to think it may have been ideal for me. At that stage we'd only done a few pay and plays and no challenging trials. 

1 minute ago, sherpa325 said:

All of the mods have an effect, I personally like the low compression head as it has the added advantage of making it easier to start and less sensitive to fuel.

I'll start a search for both of these. Already got a slow tube on order. S3 low comp eads seam to be readily available for my year, struggling to find a fly wheel weight though. They all seem to be for the pro or later. 

I am going to go against the majority here and say a twinshock would be fine as long as you ride it in appropriate trials or sections, and don't expect miracles.

As for drum brakes, yes discs are better, but properly maintained drums will lock up the wheels just like a disc. 

I found the opposite problem - no feel & too easy to lock wheels and fall off when I tried a modern bike with discs , so went back to a twinshock

As for for the comment that someone packed up riding in a trial when the drum brakes got wet , in twenty years on a twinshock I have never had wet brakes be that bad  , in fact there are twin shocks being ridden through streams etc. every weekend but I have never seen anyone pack up riding due to brakes ! 

Edited by djr
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2