Yamaha TY175 / Suggested Upgrades and Improvements

TYupandover

Hello All; new elderly member returning riding after 40 years; Just found a 1976 Yamaha TY175 the same bike I bought new in 1976; The bike is in good shape everything original; I’d like to slowly start updating it to make it a bit lighter and handle and ride better; nothing major at first may be tires, handlebars, levers, and foot peg replacement / repositioning; any advice or previous experiences in doing this; would be appreciated; my goal being older now; is to slowly bring back my riding skills; in woods behind my house and possibly enter a Observed Trials event down the road; I’m hoping some upgrading and simple mods; will help and make a more enjoyable riding experience! Any input will be appreciated. Thanks; John.

3 hours ago, Tyupandover said:

Hello All; new elderly member returning riding after 40 years; Just found a 1976 Yamaha TY175 the same bike I bought new in 1976; The bike is in good shape everything original; I’d like to slowly start updating it to make it a bit lighter and handle and ride better; nothing major at first may be tires, handlebars, levers, and foot peg replacement / repositioning; any advice or previous experiences in doing this; would be appreciated; my goal being older now; is to slowly bring back my riding skills; in woods behind my house and possibly enter a Observed Trials event down the road; I’m hoping some upgrading and simple mods; will help and make a more enjoyable riding experience! Any input will be appreciated. Thanks; John.

Here is a starter for you https://www.yamahaty.com/english/tyusineen/majestyen.html

I rode a TY175 at the same time as you in the 70s Tyupandover. I'd still say it's a good enough bike to hone skills on as it is, provided it's well set up, eg good tyres at the right pressures, brakes cleaned out and adjusted, ignition timing bang on, cables libricated, no slack in throttle cable, mixture tuned to run as crisply as possible, new air filter,  fork oil correct, decent rear units, chain tension correct. This matters on any bike of course, but well worth it on a TY175, and really the difference between a good bike and one that'll cost you needless marks. 

Standard TY175s did very well in the day, winning trials against the best Spanish opposition. In my experience it was one of the best bikes for developing one of the most important aspects of a good rider: precision. Rather like a modern 125 these days. Just get it all as well set up as you can and then get the hours in practising on it! 

Edited by cleanorbust
  • Like 2

Thanks for the compliment not quite that good; if you get close up it’s still a 47-year-old bike and showing signs of normal wear; although it doesn’t look like it’s been trashed;  but I’m old and worn out some also so we should get along good together! Take care, John

1 thing that most 70s bikes & especially TYs benefit from is the bar clamps being moved in front of the steering stem either through buying a billet top clamp from InMotion or cutting the clamps off the standard top yoke & welding them back on, improves the steering no end & opens up the riding stance by more than you'd expect