General riding tips montesa 4rt

Greeny123

Hey guys, 

I'm new to the 4 stroke game. I last rode a 2018 125 beta evo. I havent rode in 5yrs so was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get the best out of the montesa.

I'm 18yrs old and looking to compete at a decent level like the old days. Are these bikes as responsive and snappy as a 2t in thr right hands?

20231217_151520.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Greeny123 said:

Hey guys, 

I'm new to the 4 stroke game. I last rode a 2018 125 beta evo. I havent rode in 5yrs so was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get the best out of the montesa.

I'm 18yrs old and looking to compete at a decent level like the old days. Are these bikes as responsive and snappy as a 2t in thr right hands?

20231217_151520.jpg

I would say that If you want to learn modern four stroke technique then watch and study Toni Bou Videos and listen to the sound of the motor  and watch how he negotiates differing obstacles and terrain then go out and  replicate it.. Toby Martyn is another to watch in FIM WTC or British Trials Champs. 2 stroke motor technique is similar but different. 

Edited by Tr1AL

4RT has a super broad power band, the fuel injection is what makes the engine perform so well.  Montesa suspension feels more settled compared to TRS, GasGas and Beta that feel more lively.  Montesa is great for long hill climbs and winter riding, great for deep water crossings and deep mud sections.  Rear suspension dog bone requires more service than some because it is exposed to damage.  Frame and swingarm is very durable in a crash, rear fender is expensive but way more sturdy then some.

At 18 years old, the Montesa would not have been my first choice. It`s a fine bike. Well built and very planted can do everything, but is heavy. No matter what anyone says. And I ride an amazing 301. Still heavy. But at 64 it makes me smile every time I let it rip!

To be honest I'm quite a big 18yr old (96kg) the bike doesn't feel especially heavy, It doesn't seem to grip as well as the 2stroke as I remember. Might be due to my tyre pressure and riding technique as I'm aggressive. Seems to purr through Rock sections tho.

• Like 2

Another giant teenager 😎 run the rear tire almost flat and the front soft enough that you only occasionally feel the rim, don't hesitate to rev it up lots, 4RT love lots of engine revs and just keeps pulling up to peak revs, fuel injection fires as reliable as the spark plug, never misses a beat, the 300rr has more power for carrying 3rd gear, the 260 needs to be rung harder to generate the same oomf and feels more at home in 2nd gear.  4RT runs reasonable well on straight pump fuel but pulls a little stronger in down low rpm if you run upgraded fuel.  They flame out at around 800rpm or lower because there is not enough electricity to run the fuel pump that low.  The bike rewards a steady throttle hand, you should resist the urge to 'blip' the 4-stroke engine as you would a 2-stroke, all that does is mess it up and you will never need to rev it up to clean out the engine just before a big hit, it's not necessary. 

4 hours ago, Greeny123 said:

To be honest I'm quite a big 18yr old (96kg) the bike doesn't feel especially heavy, It doesn't seem to grip as well as the 2stroke as I remember. Might be due to my tyre pressure and riding technique as I'm aggressive. Seems to purr through Rock sections tho.

I may not be a young one but I am ~93kg and I find that around 0.34-0.41 bar (5-6psi) front and 0.25-0.28 bar (3.5-4psi) rear on my Montesa 300RR seems to work great for traction, softer dirt and roots I go on the low end, rocks and hard edges I ride the top end of that.

Good luck.  Hope that helps for comparison. 

• Like 1

To the person who said that the Montesa is not for a novice, I have to disagree. Been riding mine since July of 2022 as a novice and never had any problems with it.  I love my Montesa, it climbs anything and everything, works perfectly well for me. I have done several clinics and trials on it. Perhaps my advantage is just having had lots and lots of practice on the four stroke big bikes with clutch/throttle control. I could theoretically see if someone is new to bikes in general maybe not the best option, but I still hesitate on that because I find two strokes to be a bit snappy and as a beginner I think I'd prefer the linear power of the four, but that's just me! Cheers! 

• Like 2

I just switched to a Montesa 301RR. My most noticable difference is hopping in certain situations, it doesn't have the quick throttle response of my 300 2-strokes. For example, when climbing a hill and I have to hop over a feature, I could just snap the throttle and hop over it on my 2T, the montesa doesn't do that just through throttle response. So I have to keep the revs higher and modulate power throught the clutch approaching the feature, and then have some revs available at the feature to pop the clutch and hop. The throttle response of the 2T actually made me lazy where I wasn't popping the clutch to clear stuff. Now with the clutch pop, you get way more suspension rebound for a hop. It is little things like these to get used to. I like the sound and the characteristics more than the 2T now

• Like 1

12 hours ago, curd1 said:

I just switched to a Montesa 301RR. My most noticable difference is hopping in certain situations, it doesn't have the quick throttle response of my 300 2-strokes. For example, when climbing a hill and I have to hop over a feature, I could just snap the throttle and hop over it on my 2T, the montesa doesn't do that just through throttle response. So I have to keep the revs higher and modulate power throught the clutch approaching the feature, and then have some revs available at the feature to pop the clutch and hop. The throttle response of the 2T actually made me lazy where I wasn't popping the clutch to clear stuff. Now with the clutch pop, you get way more suspension rebound for a hop. It is little things like these to get used to. I like the sound and the characteristics more than the 2T now

If you haven't looked you might check if it has the black (slow) throttle tube, if so you can wake them up a lot by swapping to a white.  I put a white (quick) on my 300 RR and love it over the black it came with. 

Oh and I agree that I have a lot more hop and snap by keeping the revs up and using the clutch more and also feel that is good even with the white tube. 

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 2

Terrific bike for winter riding if you stud the tires and have a heated garage to start out from and keep the brakes dry, any 4RT with studz is a blast to ride through much of the winter here.  With grip studz in regular trials tires you run the tires about 4psi harder than summer, the tire needs to flex less in the freezing cold. 

• Like 1