300 beta trials

Mwl

I read a lot about.should I buy a 200 beta trials or a 300.

The beta 125 weighs the same as a 300.yes they feel different.but the throttle works both ways off and on.the 125 is 12 bhp the 300 is maybe 20 bhp even poss 22 bhp.its nothing. It's not like a yamaha r1 compared to 

Edited by Mwl
Not relevant

• Mwl changed the title to 300 beta trials

I've seen a weird thing like what faussy wrote about.

A bloke who had lots of road bike experience had a try on a modern trials bike in the parking area at a trial. We showed him how to do fairly open figure eights on the flat ground. He got on, did about three figure eights (while looking a bit stressed), got off and had a real good vomit. He said it was because he was exerting himself too hard.

Another time a rider with hundreds of hours trail and enduro riding came along to a trial and had a go on a modern trials bike. He was fine apart from not being able to stay inside the section boundaries even on totally novice lines.

24 minutes ago, feetupfun said:

I've seen a weird thing like what faussy wrote about.

A bloke who had lots of road bike experience had a try on a modern trials bike in the parking area at a trial. We showed him how to do fairly open figure eights on the flat ground. He got on, did about three figure eights (while looking a bit stressed), got off and had a real good vomit. He said it was because he was exerting himself too hard.

Another time a rider with hundreds of hours trail and enduro riding came along to a trial and had a go on a modern trials bike. He was fine apart from not being able to stay inside the section boundaries even on totally novice lines.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Guy Martin ( road racer & TV star) doing the pre65 Scottish trial and getting 200+ marks, which was surprising, considering he must have some good skills on a bike.

Yet other road racers like Mick Grant  have taken up trials very well

• Thanks 1

Mike Grant is a very good rider, but after many years of practice. I'm pretty sure he used to trial in the winter when he was still racing. We have a local rider who won the TT several times who reckons it took him 4/5 years to attain a reasonable standard.

This article mentions M Grant on a IT Kawasaki.

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/19/2023 at 4:12 AM, faussy said:

I seen a guy step off an r1 to have a go on a trials bike in a car park and had near killed himself inside 10 yards

Had a guy at a go fast road bike shop do that. Asked him if he’d like a putt. He said, “Yeah” and all his buddies came out to watch. I warned him not to underestimate the bike and go easy on the throttle. He starts it after a few kicks. Puts it in gear and pops the clutch with the usual reaction of the bike squirting out from under him. He chased it all the way across the parking lot finally getting it back under control he sits on it and timidly rides back and gives me the bike. All the time his buddies are roaring with laughter. Back in the shop he tells me, “I can wheelie a GSXR1000 until it runs out of gas but that thing just scared the s*** out of me!”😃

• Haha 2