Majesty

woody

Ohh WOW that is clean! I am VERY interested in where you got those pegs! I am searching for the fattest ones I can find to put on the TY, and then maybe fabbing them up to sit lower and a little back (like the sammy miller ones). But wow, that really looks stunning, Amazing job!! :thumbup::D

Edit: Saving my pennies and going with the HEBO ones too ;)

Edited by Jackman

Doesn't look like that now though after today's Phil King trial....

Jackman - Footrests are normal Hebo, lowered a fair bit, but you can't mount them straight onto a TY as they need modern type brackets. They are about

Doesn't look like that now though after today's Phil King trial....

Jackman  -  Footrests are normal Hebo, lowered a fair bit, but you can't mount them straight onto a TY as they need modern type brackets. They are about

Are you going to give a lowdown on the spec?

I think I can see;

Mono forks and wheels,

Alloy middle box,

Alloy air box.

Mega leverage on rear brake pedal.

What else is their.

Engine capacity?

Flywheel mods?

Carb?

C'mon spill the beans.

Really nice job.

Nothing really trick on it to be honest. Mods are as follows;

Footrests lowered as far as they will go (too low as it happens after wiping one off at Bootle) Still too high for me though. Taller bars next or maybe a modified top yolk (depends how busy my machinist mate is..)

Front forks changed to TY Mono as the standard t/s forks are undersprung and under damped (crap in other words) and I'm not clever enough to modify them to make them work properly. I was going to put Marzocchis on (Fantic etc.) but I prefer the cleaner look of the mono forks so they went on. Had to use the mono front wheel as Majesty one doesn't fit. Unfortunately the brake is no better....

Steering angle steepened for quicker steering although I may have overdone it slightly. Bike is quite 'nervous' but I can live with it. Nice up rock streams, a bit twitchy in mud and cambers.

Steepened steering meant an already short Majesty wheelbase was now even shorter so I wanted to lengthen the swingarm to get a wheelbase back to 52" and a little bit. Didn't want to hack the standard Godden swingarm as it's irreplaceable, so I practised on a couple of old TY ones until I got the length I needed. I was then going to ask a mate to make me a new one out of box section as it looks nicer than round but he was too busy. I can't make one myself so easiest way for me to do it was to shorten a TY Mono swingarm which is box section and use that, which also meant using the mono rear wheel. Just prefer the look of box section swingarms.

Bigger diameter front pipe which I made (badly, but now it's painted black it isn't so obvious...) together with an alloy middle box (GasGas 300 enduro tailpipe suitably modified with approx 30mm centre core with packing instead of the standard baffle plate Yam job) and a GasGas Contact, I think, tailpipe, all for larger volume and to try and get rid of the horrible Yam exhaust note.

Airbox made by a mate out of alloy for larger volume with a top fitting Scorpa SY airfilter. Mainly wanted a new airbox as the old one was badgered anyway and was also a real pain to remove. This one just unbolts and comes out sideways through the side frame tubes nice and easy. No need to take out the back wheel now...

Electronic ignition fitted, flywheel standard with the weight fitted. Carb standard, motor is standard 320 with 2 head gaskets. Ignition run slightly retarded, 2 head gaskets, flywheel weight and bigger bore exhaust all intended to take any snap out of the power delivery as I like the motor as soft as possible so I don't have to fiddle with the dreaded clutch to often. Motor plonks to nothing and picks up again cleanly in 3rd gear. Very torquey. Nice...

That I think is about it. No hidden trick or fancy bits. TY Mono forks and swingarm have raised some eyebrows as in 'not in the right spirit' but I could have fitted Marzocchis which are just as good and were a period mod and no-one would have said anything, I just prefer the cleaner looks of the Yam forks. And the mono swingarm is just a swingarm and only does the same job as a lengthened Majesty one would have so I can't see that it is a big deal (someone did think it was a TY mono bike with twinshocks fitted...) Not like it's made out of titanium or something and shaves a few pounds off the weight. Mono wheels offer no advantage, certainly no lighter but I'm not someone who is hung up on this 'weight' issue anyway.

I don't feel as though I've done anything really that couldn't have been done to a Majesty when they were current and I'm just hoping other people see it that way too. I've just tried to tailor the bike to my own riding style (for want of a better word... :thumbup: ) Certainly didn't want to create a fiddle or cheat bike, hence no Paioli forks or discs... Just something that rides how I want it to. Trouble is it does, so now I've no excuse - other than a really heavy clutch that needs sorting

Woody,

Thanks for the description.

I agree it is within the spirit of the rules. (Just look at pre-65 for real fiddle bikes).

What electronic ignition are you running? This is one area I want to explore.

I am playing with a 250 motor in a standard frame.

I have a 1980 DT 250 barrel and boyesen rad reed cage. (About the same size as a mono cage but so smooth inside), 28mm modified Dellorto carb off a 315 Mont.).

The porting is much more radical than TY as you would expect. Ports approx 2mm higher but slightly smaller. I do not use a head gasket.

I have also machined most of the standard weight off the ignition and would like to go lighter.

I want a much more modern snappy engine as riding modern bikes I get too close to steps etc before opening throttle.

Do you have any plans or templates for the bigger airbox as I would like to make one.

Aftermarket electronic ignition was supplied by Craig Mawlam. Uses the standard TY flywheel and comes with a new CDI type HT coil. There are no timing marks on the backplate so it is trial and error to get it running.

Rather than machine the flywheel weight, have you tried it wit it removed altogether as they bolt on.

Best way to get snappier (or just more) power out of the TY motor is to make it a 320 (this is just my opinion obviously as there are others who swear by the 250) Converting to 320 gives it all the power it needs and they can be quite sharp, without having to alter porting, reeds etc etc. But as I say, it's down to personal choice ultimately.

Don't have any template or plans for the airbox though sorry, as it was made by a friend but the way it is made, it will only fit the Godden frame anyway which differs a lot from the Yam frame

Its a lovely bike, does the back brake work though? The leverage ratio looks wrong. I'd lower where the rear brake cable fulcrum attaches to the pedal to roughly in line with the swinging arm, otherwise the freeplay on your back brake varies as your riding with the suspension going up and down.It would also give more leverage.

Yes, back brake works fine. Locks the wheel no problem. That brake arm has certainly caused some raised eyebrows, furrowed brows and chin rubbing and everyone says it is all wrong.

The truth is, I never gave ratios a thought (I know that it should ideally be much shorter) as the problem was the positioning of the pedal relative to the footrests which I dropped about 3" in height. The pedal also now sits that much lower, so if the arm was any shorter it would foul the swingarm and the cable would stretch and operate the brake when the suspension is compressed. I just kept on mocking up the pedal until I got the moevement I needed without it fouling, although it still just catches now when on full compression.

Brake works well - wish the front was as good....