Why Do You Ride

alan bechard

Why did you start, or maybe what was the kicker that started you riding (Trials)?

Why do you continue to ride?

And maybe the follow on question, what would get more people riding trials?

Well Alan....what are your answers?  :P

Started because that was what Dad Rode, Little Grand Canyon, Brooksville Fl. 73 / 74 time frame?

Got back into Trials after riding HS for a bit because my son got old enough to start riding (4) and was Jumping over an ammo box in the back yard on a PW 50 and was doing a "No Hander" (intentionally) a few too many extreme MX video's. At that point I went in and called my Dad, said, hey, how do I get him to not do this stuff, he needs control etc. I see trips to the hospital in my immediate future. Old man said ride trials, I said nobody rides trials around here anymore, Old man said, best get started now then.

What would get more people riding.... ?

Darn if I honestly know. Some things have been successful that we have done, and some not, and sometimes the same thing will work with one person and not another.

What I try and think makes a difference.

My office walls are covered in Trials posters and pictures. People come in just to see them, had a construction crew in the yard yesterday and one guy went out and brought the rest of the crew in too see them.

Offer to take anyone riding with an interest, there are usually extra bikes available, and we have an excellent riding area with everything from about a 3 acre field, to National level obstacles.

Do Demo's, parades, bikers parties, shows for folks that want. Often these do not feel like they work out, but years later I still have people come up to me saying they saw Trials bikes in a Christmas parade several years ago. (happened last week) Also get to meet some great folks that while I do not think they will ride, come in and help and provide some of the strength it takes to pull off events.

Hold local events here in the area. Everything from full tilt regional events hosting to two clubs that we sit in the middle between (STRA and TI) to fun get together rides with a couple of people.

Right now in my area, we are somewhat on a decline, we kind of phased through were there were several of us actively participating, then it has slowed due to other commitments. I for one am getting tagged pretty well with work and the home business and at some point Trials falls to the side.

But a funny thing has happened to me the last couple of days, Dean has come up in the evening and said let's get the bikes out and ride. So we did :thumbup:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nsaqam Posted Today, 02:28 PM
It's not really surprising when you consider that the ONLY trials exposure around here was the Duluth WRs. No exposure = no interest.

That's an interesting observation.

So does that mean if you lived in an area that had a active local club it might have peaked your interest enough to go watch an event before the WTC came to town?

I know your promoting American riders in the WCT to gain national exposure. But by your own statement that has been your only exposure.

However it is not feasible to have WCT in every major region of the U.S.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have active local clubs in each region of the U.S. sparking that new interest and actually have venue new riders can come watch, and participate in?

No question that if I had an active, local club I'd have gotten interested earlier if that club did any sort of promotion.

A local club would be a wonderful addition to this area IMO.

I guess my point about Americans winning at the WTC level could bring mainstream media attention and a possible increase in participation nationwide as well as outside sponsorship and money.

Your posts are always insightful and thought provoking sideup. I enjoy them.

There is an active, local club in MN -- the Upper Midwest Trials Association (www.umta.org). Up until last year the UMTA held an annual two-day event at Spirit Mountain. Also, the winners of the national High School class the past two years are from the Duluth area. Spirit Mountain was also the site of a national event in 2000. So there has been and still is a strong local trials presence in the area.

Mike, of course you're correct about all your points but this year the only event within 100 miles or more is the event at the OHVRA in Gilbert. I know Andy Bowman and his dad but met them while working on the '05 WR. I never heard about the National event in '00 probably because I was on hiatus from bikes then. Heard about the '02 WR and planned to go but life happened and didn't make it. Went to '04 and '05 WR. The '04 WR got me hooked but didn't hear about another event until the '05 WR. I've been well aware of the UMTA for about a year and frequent their website.

This reinforces my opinion that only a WTC level event gets promoted enough and is thrilling enough to attract even a motorcycle guy, let alone a regular guy, to get into trials unless you have a family connection. Once you see how cool it is you may get more involved but the promotion and the media coverage are just not there for anything less than a WTC event. I wish it weren't so but I'm afraid it may be.

I don't mean to slight the UMTA at all but I sure wish we had a club in Northern MN with events less than 200 miles away like Thielman this weekend.

Why Do You Ride!

I have often asked myself that question while either cold, wet, muddy, hot, or exhausted or any combination of the above and sitting in the middle of a section that I cannot possibly complete!

It takes a bit of that quote from another post! I'll find it! Something about BALLS! :P

I ride because I bought a TY250 in boxes just to have a project to work on. Never heard of or seen a TY. Trials is not big in Memphis, TN. Got it back together and rode some. Started checking around on the web and learned a little about trials. I saw that Alan was having what he called a "Pot Luck" trials and it was close to home and free. Though I would give it a try and had a blast. Been hooked ever since. Later on I got a modern bike or two and one of my son's started riding with me.My son actually rides Alan's dads old Montesa and wouldn't part with it for anything. It's something we do together and share an interest in. Now I am back to just the TY and riding Vintage because there is a Vintage series about 3 hours from home. I would have to credit Alan for getting me involved. I don't get to ride as much as I like but I always have fun when I do and the people that ride are good folks. I'm in it for good. Can't wait to see the World Round at the TTC!!!!!!

why did i start?.

started in 77 read about trials bikes in dirt bike magaines there were several articles back then. saw a used ossa mar at a dealership and traded a rm125 for it. rode for less than a year got busy milking cows and basicly quit for 26 years

why did i start again?

thought it might be fun for my 9 yr old son was also joined soon by my 24 year old son.

Why do i continue?

can answer in one word addicted

What can we do to get more people riding?

I dont know about the rest of the U.S. but its happening here even without a club we have grown from 20 riders when we started 3 years ago to 40 now (springfield Mo) gaining 5 or 6 in last 2-3 months. almost every one of them former woods riders or former trials riders getting back to the sport. just my opinion but if everyone would spend a little time on their local enduro harescrambles forum talking about trials the results would be surprizing.

Why did I start?

When I was kid, we rode in old strip mines, and most of the adults at some point had a trials bike. After about a 10 year absence from any off road riding, I was just getting back into dirt riding when I went to a new bike show where they were doing a trials demonstration (I think it was Jess Kempke and someone else). I was totally blown away by what they were doing and the bikes they were riding (Gas Gas 280 & Sherco 2.9) were nothing like the TY, TL and KT's I remembered. I then spent about a month trying to find a bike and looking for local events or people to ride with.

Why do I continue?

I still ride my WR250 and my street bikes and I have noticed that since I started trials, all of my riding has gotten better. Also the challenge of trying to advance my riding will always be there (I'm a slow learner :P )

How to get more people involved?

I have no idea, except what got me. Be at the places where people already have a motorcycle interest with bikes, and demos at a level where it's impressive but not everything is out of the realm of possibility for the average off road rider.

My interest in trials has been a series of hooks. At age 38 I bought a used COTA200 to crosstrain on. Bought "The Bernie Book" and was overwhelmed with page after page of traction, technique,etc etc. Sweet info. Static balance was not easy. Obviously it was going to be a challenge to ride this bike proficiently. HOOK.

After a year I upgraded to a new 2000 GG321TXT. WOW. Of all the bikes I'd ever ridden this was the coolest, the wildest, the craziest, the hardest to ride, and the most fun thing EVER. Even better than the Superbike School ! :D This wasn't like a motorcycle at all. It was a precision instrument. BIG HOOK !! :wub:

One day I got on my old woods dirt bike and went for a ride with my old harescramble pals. It was a little boring because they were slower than usual. But actually they weren't slower - I was faster! And I was expending much less energy to boot! BIG GIANT HOOK !! :D

Brought the wife to a World Round in Watkins Glen. I couldn't believe the things I was witnessing. WTC actually scared me off a little thinking that no way in Hades would I ever be able to do any of those things. B) But the friendly spectating crowd was really fun to hang with. :beer:

Eventually I found other local plonkers to ride with and learn from. Legal riding areas in New York are almost non-existant. :D So riding a "stealthy" trials bike is a smart idea around these parts. :ph34r: I continued to make slow, painful and unsteady progress. Progress plateaus now and then. Anyhow trials riding with my buddies was just as much fun as I remember having on my old purple Yamaha Enduro LT100 when I was 14. Only better because more control = more fun. HOOK !!

I tried the local club events and floundered as a newbie. :wall: I got vertigo from all the dam markers. (Anyone in 3D understands why). But if ever there was a relaxing fun club, 3D is it. Great bunch of oddballs. Okay I'll come back. HOOK !

Went to a bunch of National events to spectate. Camping with my wife and 2 daughters was a great adventure. We quickly found that Trials people are friendly people, even at the national level. Even more amazing was that I (a complete stranger) could just walk up to any of the top National guys (except one I won't name) and have a conversation. No overinflated motocross type egos here! Me and wifey were blown away when champ Geoff Aaron chatted with us as if we were friends. We had never met him before! Of course we didn't know it then but learned quick. All are friends in the trials community. HOOK !! :P

Last year I rode 4 nationals just to see how I'd do. Support class of course. Most everyone could outride me but no one ever made me feel stupid or unwelcome. LATEST HOOK !!

For those who've skipped to the last paragraph, lets summarize my largest 3 hooks:

Trials has made me a much better dirt rider.

Trials has made me a much safer street rider.

Trials has introduced my family to many wonderful (and colorful) people in the tight knit Trials community. A great class of people.

MXers check your egos at the door. :thumbup: