End Of An Era

perce

At our club trial on Monday afternoon there was 70 or so kids riding & only one TY80. I've heard that there hasn't been many sighted in the youth nationals this year either. Is it the end of an era?

Perce,

In my opinion they are one of the best trials bikes ever built!

How many World Champions/British Champions/Scott Trial/SSDT Winners learnt there trade on one of those little beauties?

They may not be the most 'trendy' looking bikes out there but I'm sure you will agree that all the basic skills needed to be modern day trials rider can still be lear'nt/taught on a little Yammy 80. :)

Edited by 2fargone

Thought it was earlier than 75, but I know better than to tangle with Big John on dates.

I had one in 77, my first trial on 1st Jan 1978 at Swainby, Northallerton, and I remember the Bullens had yellow ones before that, and at the same trial. I know John B is knocking round TrialsCentral somewhere.

I always swore they were the best tool to learn on, but just over the past few years I think the Beta 50 has just about filled the gap. I just wish the Beta had the poke that the TY80 has. It would be an awesome machine.

Anybody slipped a TY50 or TY80 engine in a Rev50 frame?

I remember getting one of the very last ones ever made, for christmas back in '93 :) It had never been used.

That poor thing got some use! it got chucked down cliffs, been under water, the works - and it kept goin.

I would'nt mind getting one again for a restoration project and keeping it!! those beta and gasgas things will never be as good.