What Would It Take?

alan bechard

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are telling me Barcota that everyone that signs up at your guys events just comes up out of the blue, normally riding in a different area with different class names, you describe the obstacles and they know the appropriate class to ride?

You are the Man is all I have to say.

Heck, I struggle trying to decide if folks I ride with should start at Novice or Intermediate.

So BarCota, what classes do you guys use.

And on edit,

If you would be so kind as to go to my post on describing an Advanced rider and fill it in, as several of us seem to not be able to define it. Sounds like you have it nailed.

Edited by Alan Bechard

Nothing personal Barcota, just kind of seemed like something he might say. Tell him hello from Texas as I did not see him at Tenn.

Carl and I have a lot in common--sometimes!

Tell us about your class structure, please!

MC <_<

Sorry Al I just couldn't resist, to do well in the US we need to get inline with Europe <_<

Your alternatives make little or no sense to riders in the Yorkshire Centre as the Experts, Inters & Novices all ride the Hard route up here. Different parts of this country all run to totally different naming etc etc.

Actually Ish, I was trying to do that and could not figure out how to cross from one post to another.

I saw that and thought,

<_<

Heck, we cannot agree here, I doubt we can get the clubs to agree. Maybe it is just a moot point.

I think we have more fun here though, nice camping and more enjoyable weekend for the family, it's always too cold and wet ower there <_<

To be honest, I wouldnt mind riding your trials scene compared to ours as it looks fun for the wobblers like me. The better riders would prefer the UK probably.

I really liked the venue at Sequatchie and would go back there for a trials holiday no problem. Off season it would be pretty cheap I reckon. The return flight was

my .02

Some sort of standardized measurement is I think essential. When I see signs on the way to TTC of gas at $3/gallon, I assume we both use same defintion of $$ and same defintiion of gallon. Why not have some standard descritpions. An old science adage, if we cannot measure and describe something, we really don't understand it. Who wants to go to another part of the counrty and beat them selves into the ground only to find out intermediate was high instead of just above beginner?

I think its a primary goal the USMTA could achieve.

I also think it's probably fruitless attempting to standardize and require clubs to fall in line.

I would like to see the standard descriptions of classes, descriptions of the types of skills required to ride those classes. Granted, tough to describe, but even vague is better than nothing. Do I need to balance, hop, or back up for this class???

Standard class names would be nice, but rather than argue it out, just assign numbers 1-6. 1 high or 1 low, who cares, but standardize. Like on ski runs or rock clmbing route standards.

Local clubs could use any name they wanted, but simply use the number at signup or if questions. I come in as a 2 (almost bottom) rider, what class in your club is equal to USMTA level 2. maybe their sportsman is above 1, but less than 2 etc. Just use the numbers as standard gauge for common language, call it whatever name yoru club wants.

Eventually, if the numbers get names, clubs could move to adopt ot not, but at least the common measuring is there.

It could help new riders, but mainly help promote people riding at other clubs events.

kcj

I like Alan's idea of numbers for the classes, the top class being CLASS ONE, down as many classes a club desires. Class one would equal Sportsmen Expert/ Pro/Expert at the nationals, then every class added on a local level simply is one number higher.

Hey, in the ATA for example we would have class 9 as the beginner class. Class 1 the Expert class.

Names between the clubs then are not important, we simply require riders to be class THREE or higher to ride the nationals or whatever number the NATC prefers.

That's my summery, thanks for all the great imput men.