What Would It Take?

alan bechard

Keep at it Al, I went down to a Sacramento pits club trial this weekend to take some bikes down, I was going to ride the trial, but thought better of it when the temps were in the 100's.

Anyway!! I know NATC diplomats down there, are talking about a system of getting all clubs on the same page, so I think it will be a topic discussed in detail at the next NATC meeting.

I would like to add one more thing to the mix, the picture of the split marker is what our club uses, the idea is to delete the class that doesn't take that split, if names of classes changed to numbers or a blank delta arrow, and only the number was written on the card of classes to take that split, sure would make it simple for the trials marshal, to add splits to a section.

I must say the Sacto pits split cards suck!! they are the most confusing I have ever ridden, yes! I understand if I rode more Sacto events I would soon get the hang of it, but the truth is they are confusing.

If the top class, or hardest route in a club trial is number 1, and the easiest route is the highest number depending on how many classes a club runs, I think would be the easiest for any rider to understand all across the country.

Using the classes from the prior post card, and exchanging those classes to the number system, it shouldn't be hard for anyone to figure out who takes the split shown in this post.

I can only think of one fellow who could get which way to go confused, but he doesn't ride US events ;)

post-8-1151427226.jpg

post-8-1151427380.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I set simple 3 line trial for the club in Jan. of this year using the ABC lines. Riders were allowed to "ride up"

a line or split for negative points as long as they did not take a dab any time after attempting that area. If they dabbed they lost the negative points and their normal score accumulated. A sort of gate trial for the more ambitious riders, with no "busts".

rookie

novice= C

amature

intermediate=B

expert

master=A

Only one of the slightly dislexic expert riders got confused when confronted with two close trees with an AB on the left tree and an A on the right tree, both pointing toward the right. Of course he took the B line between them for a 5 and filed a complaint!

My response, "If you have TWO arrows telling you to go RIGHT, which way should you go?

It worked ot well overall, the best score of the day was from a novice rider!

;)

MC

• 2 weeks later...

I am fairly new to trials riding, (3-4 years) who rides 'Intermediate' class in the Midwest, middle class of a 5 class club ( MATT ).

I like the proposal of a numbered class with names selected by clubs optional. As long as clubs use the same "spread",5 or 6 classes. If clubs use a different number range, or bottom class number, we have the same problem. I remember first riding in our 'Amatuer' class (one up from bottom) , and if I accidently got in another clubs level of our 'Intermediate' class, I would have been in a world of hurt!

What about a '0' line for the riders approaching NATC Champ class level?

Wasn't that the designation for the 'Open' line at the Youth Nationals?

That way clubs that have one less class on the 'top', their best class riders won't be riding a '2' line.

The lettered Classes: A, B, C and so on also sound reasonable, even the AA does not sound bad to me.

Hey, trying to pick a name for classes didn't work so well for the AMA Supercross/Motocross premier class, calling the former 125cc 2-stroke class the 'Lites'.

If anyone is interested in my opinion,

This 'Novice' in the sport votes for numbers 1 to 5 with 1 being the hardest line. And if you have riders approaching Champ class level, use '0' for that class.

If anyone is interested in my opinion,

This 'Novice' in the sport votes for numbers 1 to 5 with 1 being the hardest line. And if you have riders approaching Champ class level, use '0' for that class.

Dabs, I think you have stumbled into exactly why this has been talked about so much lately...

I covered this, and others helped and filled in, problem is how we get it "to be"? I dont have the resources unless you are talking posting internet sites, drawing grass roots support for what should be a no brainer.

I too said, and many concured (last I checked, I could be wrong) to where differences could be ironed out, BUT in essense:

0= pro

1= master or known as Expert at national level

2= expert, or known as ES or Expert Sportman

3= Intermediate should be a national level equal to the toughness of the easier or easiest(?) lines that were used for the men, in age bracketed SUPPORT CLASSES... where the up can coming experts and masters compete in a field of LIKE SKILLED riders. My (not solely mine mind you) would also allow, that you could have age groups like we do now, to keep people involved that feel past thier prime and all that (like me) but start them at 40 and up, or even 50 in 5 year increments.

{Each class LEVEL, gets its own color plate }

have a class of 3.5 meaning 3 level over 50? 3.6 is 3 level 60 or over etc... Maybe this left the way it is now I guess instead reinventing the nationals plate system? {edited 7-7-06}

4= amature

5= novice

6= beginner or new riders if you have them

now then all that a responsible club would NEED to do is semi-self evaluate themselves on how hard say thier womans class is, or novice or whatever and the kids... like if they are riding expert lines, or are riding they probably ride 3a, or something where as I know the gals I watch at Nebraska and texas (dont have any women riders in KS ya know...) are probably 6 F or 6.W or so...

{edit 7-7-06) --- maybe from here down about the plates could be left alone...---

later a specified colors of plates, could be used to denote classes, AND JUST SO YOU ALL KNOW>>> I to would hate havin a red plate on my blue bike for example... BUT!!! then again I ONLY have to wear that plate for a national or a regional so I could live with it,

HELL!!! I could even be proud as hell to have the 3rd place (or 20th place) (I just randomly picked a color here) >> RED plate for class for the USA Nationals Trials Ranking...

IT could be so sweet and coveted... a trophy itself just like that AMA #1 plate is for Racers...

Edited by Sting32

So, the short version

You guys think it should go 0-5 with the 0 line being the most skilled, and the 5 line being the entry level rider, just past riding down the trail.

Let the individual club sort thier own names out, but ask them to add the appropriate class / line # beside what they decide to call it for conformity.

• 2 weeks later...