Ebay Buyers Beware!

westyfield

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I bid on this "200" yesterday, I didn't really need it but thought it looked like a bargain and would do as spares for my other TWO.. or to practice on, if I won it

Thought I would let you know you all had a lucky escape.. picked it up today.. an absolute mess! covered in mud and old grease, they had not even washed it.

Gear lever welded to shaft, splines worn away on kickstart, only one side panel, wheel bearings literally hanging out, chain and sprockets knackered, dampers absolutely knackered, carcass pushing out of tyre side wall, rear mudguard split and a mess, silencer knackered, bars bent.. shall I go on?

The engine starts though, but it won't stop as the slide is so worn it lets air past continually.. either that or the crank case oil seals have gone! It leaks oil from the gear box sprocket seal too... Oh' and the rubber connector to the air box is missing! At least the gearbox does have oil in it, the forks don't! Thats all I've found so far since washing the grot off.

Oh well, I know what I'll be doing for the next few weeks....

Andrew

I would and have walked away from Ebay messes like that before.

Bikes like that are in breach of the description and Ebay will back you up, if you walk away

There is a 'no deal' mutual arrangement now or if the seller presses you to complete, report your concerns to Ebay and they will suspend seller

If it was a normal private sale, I bet you'd have walked away and not handed over

i cant believe that people pay up the money for stuff on ebay that if it were a private deal they'd walk away from.. you cant blame the seller blame yourself buyers always think they've got a bargain and sellers always think they've made a killing..

Ebay will always be a risk if you dont view beforehand. On the other hand, if I sell a bike on ebay (5 so far) I write reams....The guy should have told about the welded gearlever, and also the forks having no oil...or maybe it should have been asked....or maybe you should have walked away.

I will usually pay max 300 euros here (200 quid) for a fantic 200 without looking at it first. At that price the total risk is low. I will pay more if I can check it beforehand. With spares becoming more and more scarce, the bikes are worth more as parts than as bikes......

We all know wot it cost me to have flywheel covers made. The bike from ebay as a runner is ok ish.

Lee

Hmm, food for thought!

I have a 200 fantic in the shed, about 80% complete, plus another rolling chasis, and two large boxes of bits, bottom ends bodywork etc, etc.

It currently homes a large and impressive collection of spiders, so if you see a load of 200 bits on ebay, you'll know who it is.

BTW, which parts are unobtanium for 200's, apart from good flywheel casings!!

Hmm, food for thought!

I have a 200 fantic in the shed, about 80% complete, plus another rolling chasis, and two large boxes of bits, bottom ends bodywork etc, etc.

It currently homes a large and impressive collection of spiders, so if you see a load of 200 bits on ebay, you'll know who it is.

BTW, which parts are unobtanium for 200's, apart from good flywheel casings!!

hi.

flywheel nut's,im looking for one in good condition if you have one spare

I wish i could get those sort of prices for the bits I sell......a front wheel will cost yall 25 quid, and ignition 50......

Flywheel covers are no longer unobtainium.

PS Send me a PM with your adress bilco and I will send you a flywheel nut!

Lee

Edited by Lee Harris

• 3 weeks later...

I have got the bike stripped down now and started working through it, cleaning, painting, repairing as I go.

I think it must have had a good restoration before this last owner got his grotty paws on it as underneath all the grot it is quite good and original... but it has been riden and totally neglected time and again, when anything fell off it was welded back on!

The worst expense, apart from renewing bearings, oil-seals, chain and sprockets will be the rear hub. The "twerp" of an owner had been riding it with the bearing carrier flange broken, allowing the back wheel to slew about!. Unfortunately the hub is not repairable so will be on the look out for another rear wheel...

I already have in the garage several good part worn tyres to go on and an old pair of Falcon dampers and a couple of pairs of Renthals so "I'm getting there"

Amazingly, the levers are genuine Fantic "Domino" types but I've already pinched them for my regular bike after allowing it to "fall over", sans rider last week at Clifton and snapping the break lever.

The restoration isn't going to be concours but just a good rideable practice bike.