I Think My Headstock Is Squeeking

magicmat

AS above really,

I came back to my bike after a month at uni, and noticed when i held the front brake and compressed the forks a squeek developed. It wasnt there before, i put my hand on the headstock and the vibrations seemed to be coming from there.

I'm guessing that i just need to nip up the bolt above the top yoke, (the one below the handlebar) ???

Its an 05 pro and ive got a video manual for an 03 pro so i imagine its the same procedure ???

Cheers :D

...well thinking about it the noise is more of a click..rather than a squeek but im sure it does come from the headstock

Matt

Sorry to hear you have a noise coming from the headstock on your pro. Do you still have the speedo bracket fitted? If not you either need to fit a washer of similar dimensions in its place or turn away a little of the yoke so that it fits solidly on the bearing adjuster ring. If this is the case you will probably notice a black stain between the two parts that are working against each other. Most people dont notice this problem but it can cause looseness of the stearing head and result in an inertia that can cause the head pin to fail. Very important!!

Hmmm

I developed a creaking sound too, 04 Pro, however I dont feel ANY looseness yet or gap or slap. Funny there's nothing squeeky about side to side when you do this manuver that causes squeeking either, least on my bike. Oh well, I loaded the bike for the meet, then visited thread tonight, hmmm... I have another set of these bars I can try next week, but I wonder, that bearing...

FWIW, mine are the newer style fatbars (hebo) and are an early bought in 04 set with of course no crossbar. maybe since they are at least 2-2.5 years old, & Im a fairly big guy? I wonder.

I had this problem on my Scorpa, turns out the bit below the handlebar clamps (oh so technical!) wasnt tight enough.

I thought it was the bearings but then found that there was no play at all, however on very steep downhills i would get the sensation that the bars were turning forwards.