Lampkin And The Italian World Round

This morning i got back from Lake Garda in northern Italy where my wife and i stayed for a few days whilst visiting the Italian World round. We left there at 0830am and rolled in at Surrey at 01.30am.So tired i cant sleep. :lol:

Anyway , ive been to few world rounds recently including the Swiss and Andorran jobbies and found that the Italian round was by far the hardest and the best. You could go where you wanted to and was free as well as being well organised :D

It was about 35% so incredibly hot and dry / dusty. The sections were very impressive unitlizing large banks and huge boulders and rocks.

The video of section 8 on this site does not do this natural trial justice. It was not a man made trial like some have suggested on this site , it was 90% natural.

I have a high tollerence for seeing a sections and thinking they can get around that , but i kept getting surprised.

Section 9 was like a huge bank that kept going and going up , with little traction and large rocks it was a certain leap of faith in 3rd gear. Many asked for a 5 including Lampkin to try and gain a little time.

Tony Bou cleaned it ...wow.

These conditions did not suit being british and Lampking really , really struggled looking very ragged at times. Credit to him ...he is such a tryer and gives himself a pep talk before each section and puts in 100%, but you need more.

:D In my opinion his fitness is not good enough and this left him suffering big time.He looks white before he enters sections on the 2nd lap and he has no bounce in his legs .in other words he look knackered.

His skill will get him regular wins in cool climates but not against teenagers and 20 year olds in hot weather.He's got age to work against . I wish him every luck .

:P:thumbup: Also , his Honda although beautiful , just doesnt seem to have the power and needs to be revved like S***t to get anywhere.

I hope Dougie sorts this fitness issue out , he's about 80 % there now.

We all want him to win this year.

He also had some ace rides such as section 1 on lap 2 and others of course.

The ace ride of the day was James Dabill , he impressed me no end and is definetely the new kid on the block.

My old faves were there including Donato Miglio , Diego Bosis , Theiry Michaud , Louis Gallach (God) and Cheberto Renalles.

Come on Dougie

Edited by gasgas249uk

Firstly, I'd disagree with it being well organised -

• There were places where you had riders using the same route as spectators - that's a no-no for sure and just crying out for an accident.
  • There was virtually nothing in the way of Press/Minders corridors at the sections YET AGAIN (despite them being told last year and again on Saturday this year) so what little there was was mobbed to the detriment of the spectators behind. If there are decent corridors then the press and minders spread out so spectators can still see what's going on.
  • The section route was very poorly marked. Fine if you're on the arranged buses, but not if you're trying to find your way yourself.

I love Italy - fantastic country, but their event was, again, a real challenge. Personally I preferred last year. This year was, with the exception of sections 7&8, too "samey". Same dry dusty banks (which were a nightmare for the cameras). Last year it was up a valley with some sections in water and some over natural rock - a good mix. I'd agree that none of the course in Italy either last year or this year was man-made. Sections 7&8 this year, yes, but not specifically for the Trial. They just happened to have two piles of rocks they could use!

As for Dougie, I wouldn't question his fitness. Having been at all the rounds this year I would say the problem in Italy was more psychological than physical. He wants this title - maybe TOO much. Raga is facing the same pressure and only performed slightly better. Hopefully Doug's experience will prevail. Fingers crossed :thumbup:

Andy, your comment on Dougie wanting his title too much was interesting. Perhaps he needs to chill out with a few beers on the Saturday night and join the Trials Central on Tour Party. :thumbup::D

Beer works for Steve Peat.

No-one but No-one should even question Doug's committment to his riding and also to his physical fitness.

The amount of pressure however is HUGE.......... Once you've won even 1 title there is no doubt you are expected to do it again and again, whereas the younger riders have the advantage of nothing to prove....

I believe he can do it again, Know how much it means to him and all his Family.......

What we all need to do with Hawkstone looming is "Get behind our Silsden Superstar" !!!

dougie lampkin,"TOPMAN".any body who knows dougie lampkin will tell you his level of fitness and commitment is never in doubt.its a pity the england football team are not as fit and commited!!!!!!!!.roll on hawkstone and "COME ON DOUGIE".

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH SANDIFORDS WE SHOULD ALL BE GIVING DOUGIE AS MUCH SUPPORT AS POSSIBLE AT HAWKSTONE AND ANY OTHER ROUNDS YOU GO TO SEE

PEOPLE SHOULD REMEMBER WHAT DOUGIE HAS DONE IN THE PAST HE IS PROBABLY THE BEST TRIALS RIDER THERE WILL EVER BE AND THE PRESSURE HE IS UNDER WILL BE FAR GREATER THAN EVER TO GET THE TITLE AGAIN.

ITS A SAD BRITISH MENTALITY TO ALWAYS PUT DOWN OUR STARS OF ANY SPORT WHEN THINGS AREN'T ALWAYS GOING FOR THEM :thumbup:

I agree totally with your sentiment gasgas249uk - "We all want him to win this year" - saw him take what I believe was his first wtc win at Houghton Towers in '94 and have been enthralled by the phenomenon ever since.

I enjoyed your personal commentary of the wtc and Dougie etc, clearly something is causing some inconsistency for DL, whether its fitness or whatever lets hope its sorted for Poland onwards. Also hope that

Dabill or Morris can start to make the break into that top 5 in the next year or so, most of the current crop of front runners were starting to breakthrough at about 19 or 20. Hopefully young Mr Wigg will be in the big class next year, it will be great if the next super teenager in the wtc was a Brit rather than a Spaniard!

Seen the sections in Poland and, to be honest, it looks crap. Many of the sections are simply impossible and the organiser (one guy) refuses to change them.

Its good to see that an actual discussion (abeit tiny) is beginning to start regarding our Hero Dougie which is more then bland "Come on Dougie". There's a place for praise and a place for contructive feedback.Both should be aired when thought appropriate.

Theres no point telling him everything rosy and wonderful when it gone off a bit.

This in no way affects the undying support we will continue to give Dougie our no 1 .

We all have an opinion , and all of them are valid.

I fear that many users of this forum choose not to voice their opinions , for fear of being shot down in flames .....and and just follow the crowd - Dougies the best etc , Yawn yawn.

Should Dougie win the outdoor Championship this year (I hope he does) then my observations were either acute or wrong.

Should ,come the end of the year Dougie loose , then there's obviously a reason why. It certainly not lack of talent and skill.A little nudge ....might just help him .Anything said by all of us is to help him.

The feedbacks better now , than at the end of the year.

It almost unnatural not to want Dougie to win and we all support him , but lets discuss it sensibly and intelligently rather than simply following the crowd.

As for PHB "ITS A SAD BRITISH MENTALITY TO ALWAYS PUT DOWN OUR STARS OF ANY SPORT WHEN THINGS AREN'T ALWAYS GOING FOR THEM ".

Were you there?. Its an opinion and an observations from someone there and not putting him down.

no i wasnt there and i wasnt saying that you was putting dougie down either, but in general some of the british public and especially the press love to have a go when things aren't go well for all of our sportsmen and women.

Seen the sections in Poland and, to be honest, it looks crap. Many of the sections are simply impossible and the organiser (one guy) refuses to change them.

I would imagine that that would play into Dougs hands given his temprement. Opinions?

I would imagine that that would play into Dougs hands given his temprement. Opinions?

I agree, he prefers the impossible stuff :rolleyes: