What Do You Do When Theres Too Few Observers?

old trials fanatic

Well said GII, similar story here. You forget to mention the evenings prior to the event chopping out the sections and the eight hour day before putting four routes out.

But all this said; the very worst part of running a trial is asking people to observe.

It is everyones right to refuse to observe when asked, there are plenty of genuine reasons for not doing so.

Which is why we gave up worrying about it. If there are enough volunteers then good. If not... stick the boards out and let them mark their own. It is far less stressful. If riders cheat..... they cheat.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, in the sober light of the morning, that was just a long whinge on my part and I don't like whingers.

I want to take the sport forward at club level, not moan about it

It seems that we need to support observers more, and let them know they are being supported.

Perhaps one way would be for the clerk of the course to circulate more noticeably, he could start on an inspection lap 10 mins before the start of the trial visiting each section and making certain that the observers understand the intended line and limits for each route - a common point of debate / contention during the trial. He could circulate during the trial several times making certain that observers and riders are happy with the way things are going. It may lead to a better understanding of how problems arise and prevent them happening in the future.

I hate when riders retire and go home saying 'crap trial this', it's too late then.

Edited by GII

an age old problem, one to which there are few easy solutions without making significant sacrifices

a) raise entry fees and pay people - but can you find X observers willing to work on a Sunday for X sum of money ..... :rolleyes:

:hyper: do like the AMCA MX's - for every so many members a club must put on a meeting. riders in each area can't ride elsewhere without very special permission (ie you force the riders to work). thus even a billy no mates can ride because he has to give up his ride for one of his own clubs events, but gets to ride every other time and every other rider in the series has to do the same

I'm not sure either system can work in reality because the trade offs are considered to unpalatable

All interesting points some i had never even considered. I suppose i should but i never realised there was so much work involved in putting on a trial.

Must admit i dont know what the perfect answer is just that we need to address the problem now before it's too late.

There are a couple of weekends soon where there are evnets on that after Sundays experience i wouldnt really fancy riding as the sections were way too difficult for the likes of an old sod like me but do i stay at home and watch the Moto and F1 GP or drive 70 miles + round trip and observe ? Do i spend the fuel money on the bike as i'm a bit skint or spend it so other riders get an observer. OK i'm being contentious just to make a point but the clubs in question offer a bottle of wine to the observer and the other club a

I havent read this topic in detail (cant read, from essex) so this may have been mentioned

On saturday night there wasnt enough observers so a few club members wore yellow jackets (cool) and were allowed to push to the front of the queue and then swap with the other rider/observer.

This worked very well considering it was a first time thing.

oh yeah

Whats the difference between a woman from scotland and a walrus??

One has a moustache and smells of fish and the other lives in the sea :rolleyes:

I've been watching this thread for a while telling myself not to get involved --but I never had much will power, so here goes.

As a regular observer for several years, I can't offer any easy solutions. but all I can say is when you get a new observer do everything you can to avoid p**sing him/her off. Observing is a thankless task, everything is generally against you, - the weather, the rules, the landscape, the riders, the 2 mile walk (all up hill) the midges etc., so make sure they feel appreciated, educate all new riders to appreciate the observer: set a closing time limit for the course (there is nothing worse that sitting out in horizontal sleet on a northern fellside knowing that a dozen riders have been to the burger van and are sitting in the dry waiting for the storm to pass before they ride the last lap!), as Gordon says, give them a ring a couple of days in advance (if only for the fact that they are unprepared with an excuse unlike when they arrive in the paddock on a Sunday morning) In a nutshell do everything that you can to keep him/her happy.

I'm sure that each centre will have different problems in attracting/ keeping observers; here in the North East I think we are fairly fortunate. I haven't been to a trial for along time that hasn't had it's full complement of observers, and that is down to a lot of good work by the clubs, and the fact that we must have more than our fair share of masochists in this area!!!

As I said at the start, I have no magic solution, but if all you riders tried to put yourselves in the observers position, what would it take to get you to observe? and I suspect a tenner is NOT the answer!!

I can't recommend highly enough getting observers to commit early.

There are 2 trials on in my centre this weekend, one on Saturday, one on Sunday.

I'm riding both but I'm trials sec for the Sunday trial.

Couple of E-mails and half an hour on the phone for observers, I've got 8 definites in the bag. Just 2 to find on the day.

I didn't get knocked back once - and 2 of them were women! :rolleyes:

Nice one. That idea works well for us too, providing it's for one of our Nationals. I'm not so sure it would work for our normal club trials.... we're never quite sure who is likely to come along for those.

I think its up to the club's membership to decide (at least the handful who turn up to the agm) whether they want observed sections or are ok with self or group marking.

I don't think there is any doubt that the current group of regular observers are in general ageing and not being replaced by friends / family etc, and lets face it

If every rider were to observe once a year............???????????

Perhaps to renew the ACU licence as well as a club stamp perhaps an observing stamp, either providing one or doing it youself??????????? :rolleyes: